Get your Darkglass here!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
header.png

So I borrowed a Darkglass B3K from my band's bass player to try and recreate it with the Axe-Fx. I didn't use tone matching or match EQ since I know people don't want that. I don't want that. So I "ear matched" and "measure matched" a Drive block and PEQ block until I got something that was inaudibly close. The low end is always a bit hard for bass since it depends on how hard you pick etc. but I think I got really close.

This is the highest gain setting you can get out of a B3K so the modes are BOOST and FAT with everything on full. So instead of using the MIX knob for blending the signal I advice you to run the drive and PEQ in parallel so the PEQ only affects the driven sound and not your raw bass sound. DRIVE should never go past 4.50 in the drive block.

Get the preset here: Axe-Change - Download Preset - ML Sound Lab B3K - by Clark Kent

Here are pics in case you have problems:

ML%20Sound%20Lab%20Darkglass%20B3K.png

They make these pedals in Finland where I'm from by the way. :)

Clips and feedback please!

As an afterthought, may I ask why you dislike the tone match for this application?

Match EQ/tone matching/profiling is just boring to me personally. Match EQ was cool to me like 5 years ago and sometimes when I feel lazy I might use that on a mix. It wouldn't really take me many minutes to do a live tone match but it's so much easier to call up a preset that doesn't have any IRs put inbetween places etc.

So I don't dislike live tone matching. Regular tone matching is not always very accurate and can lead to weird results at times. For distorted guitar you can't really tell a difference luckily. Bass is a bit different since it's way more dynamic so even if I did a live tone match I would have to spend a long time tweaking the drive block.

Above and beyond as always dude! Very impressive!

Always loved the gnarly tone of the Darkglass stuff, and we all know you have a brilliant ear for tone!

Wish i owned a bass to try this badboy out lol, gna try borrow one over the weekend hopefully.

Thanks dude

Do you run these blocks in front of an amp and cab?

Good question! Obviously there are no rules but I believe the Darkglass was designed to work as is. So no amp and no cab needed. There's a lot of low and high passing going on in the pedal itself which kind of simulates a bass cab right?

Actually I've started creating bass patches with Cab Pack 11 and this pedal in which I start disabling the high and low passes of this preset and replace them with the IRs. The end result is "the Darkglass drive" but going through a really sophisticated and natural sounding IR. :) I can post my results later if you guys are interested.

Did you try the cmos clipping type as well? Since they tout it as a cmos drive, I was wondering if that might help get out that last 5% of a perfect match.

Actually I've started creating bass patches with Cab Pack 11 and this pedal in which I start disabling the high and low passes of this preset and replace them with the IRs. The end result is "the Darkglass drive" but going through a really sophisticated and natural sounding IR. :) I can post my results later if you guys are interested.

I'd be interested in hearing and seeing said patch :encouragement:

Did you try the cmos clipping type as well? Since they tout it as a cmos drive, I was wondering if that might help get out that last 5% of a perfect match.

I tried those different clipping types but I thought Si Diode sounded closer. Oh and just to be clear in that clip it's Axe-Fx first and Darkglass second. :)

Just some feedback: the preset differs from the pictures you uploaded.

1.) On the PEQ, bands 1 & 5 frequency types are set as "peaking" instead of "blocking".
2.) For band 4 on the PEQ the gain is set to 0 dB and needed to be adjusted to -2.50 dB.

Just a heads up!

Just some feedback: the preset differs from the pictures you uploaded.

1.) On the PEQ, bands 1 & 5 frequency types are set as "peaking" instead of "blocking".
2.) For band 4 on the PEQ the gain is set to 0 dB and needed to be adjusted to -2.50 dB.

Just a heads up!

Woooooow.... :O

Back
Top Bottom