Get Yer 11.0 Beta Here!

There is also the possibility that although it's quite popular here, that perhaps the Matrix power amps really don't sound as good as a ss power amp could.
I know that comment may be sacrilege to some forum members but it is a possibility what with all the folks recently who have not liked the Matrix amps.

The GT Series of Matrix power amps are modifications of Matrix's XT Series of power amps.
The XTs were designed to be hi-powered hi-fidelity light-weight ss power amps.
In theory, we should all be using power amps with the highest fidelity possible in order to accurately reproduce the signals that the Axe is producing after all of Cliff's hard work analyzing the circuits of all these guitar amps.
But they modified the XTs to become more "tube-like" in their feel to create the GT line.
The Matrix GT users here will swear up and down that this is an improvement over the original design goals of the XTs, but I've always had my suspicions.

And I've been contemplating buying a GT1000 1U power amp myself because although my Bryston 2B LP Pro sounds fantastic with the Axe it's a little bit under-powered for some gigs when I want to be in stereo and I need a 1U power amp with more power and there's not many products with that form factor out there.
The Art SLA-2s don't sound nearly as good as my Bryston so I won't go that route.
But at the moment I'm on the list for 2 CLR active wedges primarily because I'm sick and tired of the directivity issues involved when using guitar cabs.
(And yes I know about the Mitchell doughnut but I've not been able to obtain any proper acoustical foam for this here in Canada because McMaster-Carr won't sell to Canadian customers they don't already know, which sucks, and i've been unable to track any other supplier of the proper foam.)
But I might pick up a GT1000 at some point anyway because I'll probably still want to use guitar cabs at some point on some gigs.
I have a feeling though that I'd like their XT1000 more and might end up exchanging a GT for an XT at some point.

At any rate...
All I'm trying to suggest here is that before some of you guys give up totally on ss power amps with the Axe that you try some other ss amps that are designed for the highest fidelity possible before you give it up.
My understanding is that Bryston is about as good as it gets.
But prices for new Bryston stuff are really high and the 1U 2B LP is still quite weighty and doesn't have much power.
I can't make any other suggestions because I don't know much about too many other ss power amps.
But I tried a QSC PL something-or-other way back when, and it was OK.

If you are going to use a tube-power amp, in theory, it should be better to use one that's designed for hi-fidelity as opposed to guitar-oriented tube power amps like the Mesa stuff.
People say the Fryette 2:50, although designed for guitar, is capable of a flat response.
Atomic has (had?) a product like this as well but I can't find it on their web site anymore (so maybe it's been discontinued?).
Other than that, I think you'd be looking at audiophile tube power amps.

But I worry that for some of the loud clean stuff that I need to play occasionally, that 50 watts a side of tube power would not have enough headroom.
My Bryston's got 60 watts per side (un-bridged) and it's not loud enough.
Yes, 50 watts of tube power can go louder than 60 watts of ss power, but not w/o clipping.
So if I was going to go with a tube power amp I'd want at least 100 watts a side and even if there was a product with that kind of power and a flat response out there, it would be way too heavy to be practical for me to use.

The Axe can be made to sound fantastic and musical through nearly anything you can power it with.
But if you want to accurately reproduce what Cliff has programmed in there you'll want the highest fidelity monitoring system you can afford.
E.g. Especially with v11, my Mesa-based presets sound incredibly close to the real Mesa amps that I've owned in the past (using similar knob and virtual knob settings) when I power the Axe with my 2B and run it into an open-back EVM-12L loaded cab (which is the same type of cab and driver I used with the Mesa combo amps I've owned).
If you ran a Marshall based preset through a 2B into a Marshall cab I'll bet it would sound nearly identical to a real Marshall amp with the same knob positions.
Etc., etc., etc.
If you're not concerned with accurately reproducing the tones of the real-world amps that are simulated in the Axe, then none of this matters and you can still get a great musical tone.
And you may still be able to come real close to the tone of the real-world amps.
But you'll have to spend lots of time lurking in the Amp Block's Advanced Parameters.
With my Bryston, I rarely have to do anything with the Advanced Parameters because the default amp sims are so well programmed.

Just my own opinions...

I am sure Bryston 2B LP Pro is the best amp made today. However not only does it cost as much as the AF2 but it actually weighs more than the AF2.

I would love to own a Gustavsson Bluesmaster Guitar (it is considered to be the best 59 LP on the planet) - however, with a $10K
price tag -- is is way beyond my financial reach as well.

I am sure Bryston 2B LP Pro is the best amp made today. However not only does it cost as much as the AF2 but it actually weighs more than the AF2.

I would love to own a Gustavsson Bluesmaster Guitar (it is considered to be the best 59 LP on the planet) - however, with a $10K

Lets hit powerball and go 50/50 lol

Reactions: LVC

Yep a new Bryston 2B LP is pricey.
But I bought mine on eBay used for $400.00.
They often come up for around $700.00.
And yes it's not lightweight.
And it's under-powered unless I bridge it in mono.

I wasn't suggesting that everybody go out and buy Brystons.

Joe, that was well stated!

However, I just want to add to one comment that keeps being mention... "accurately reproducing the tones", that's in the ear of the beholder. Everyone is going to have their own opinion to what sounds great (or what they are willing to compromise on).

So you are right... "no of it matters", there is no wrong answer if it works for you.

You have to take everything with a skeptical "grain of salt" on these forums, in the end hearing it is the believing truth.

I still remain open minded, will continue exploring other options.

Damn, Laz! Those boards do look pretty cool though. :) Bet they were a PITA to lug around.

dude pure insanity -- but damn they sounded good!

Good thing the Axe really has got a couple of these pedals pretty well modeled. All of the Xotics (BB, AC and RC) are spot on -- and the ZenDrive is 100% identical in my book (I love that freaking pedal).

I would love to see Cliff add some of the Landgraff pedals

Dynamic Overdrive Pedal
MO'D Pedal
Boost Pedal

should not be too hard since the DOD is basically a modified tube screamer and the MO'D is a modified Rat (or so the "conspiracy" theorists state :lol)

Last edited:
However, I just want to add to one comment that keeps being mention... "accurately reproducing the tones", that's in the ear of the beholder. Everyone is going to have their own opinion to what sounds great (or what they are willing to compromise on).
Accuracy is not in the ear of the beholder, it's fairly easily quantifiable. The problem is that vendors often either don't provide the specs or do so in a way that they are not terribly illuminating.

What is a matter of taste is whether accuracy sounds better. IME, a lot depends on the source material but there are a lot of religious wars on this topic. I'll just point out that source material optimized for one system by definition so likely to not sound as good on another system.

"accurately reproducing the tones", that's in the ear of the beholder. Everyone is going to have their own opinion to what sounds great (or what they are willing to compromise on).

So you are right... "no of it matters", there is no wrong answer if it works for you.

Sorry, but I disagree.
Cliff's process involves him being able to very closely replicate the electronic audio signals that the various guitar amps he models produce.
If we want to hear those same signals at home or on a gig without them being distorted we need to use a monitoring system that is capable of reproducing those signals without distorting them.

If you don't care about that, that's fine.
You can still get great musical sounds out of the Axe, and with some manipulation its Advanced Parameters you might still be able to come close to a sound that is quite similar, maybe even indistinguishable, from the original amp's sound.

But if you want the Axe's *default amp sims* to sound as close as possible to the way that Cliff programmed them you'll need a monitoring system with as little distortion and colouring as possible.

OK - probably just my rig or v11b install from yesterday and I do plan to re-flash 11b later today just to see, but I am experiencing really slow booting/power on with my Axe now that I installed 11b. All the lights light up and it looks just like a hang up, to the point where after a couple of boot attempts/hangs I unplugged everything (including power for a couple of minutes), then booted with just power plugged in as a test - did the same thing. I left it alone, turning to my computer to search the forum for any similar report, and when I turned back to the unit it had finished booting? Did it again and realized it looks like it hangs, but if I leave it alone for a minute or so it does boot up. Did the same a few more times with things plugged back in, to verify it was repeatable. Any other experience like this? I might also re-flash with v10 just to see.

Thanks all!

Sorry, but I disagree.
Cliff's process involves him being able to very closely replicate the electronic audio signals that the various guitar amps he models produce.
If we want to hear those same signals at home or on a gig without them being distorted we need to use a monitoring system that is capable of reproducing those signals without distorting them.

If you don't care about that, that's fine.
You can still get great musical sounds out of the Axe, and with some manipulation its Advanced Parameters you might still be able to come close to a sound that is quite similar, maybe even indistinguishable, from the original amp's sound.

But if you want the Axe's *default amp sims* to sound as close as possible to the way that Cliff programmed them you'll need a monitoring system with as little distortion and colouring as possible.

No argument with what your saying, but please stop saying "I don't care". How apply my gear is my preference. We wouldn't be here if we all didn't care. =:·)

I get your point... but I am NOT using a full-range system or PA (at this time). Maybe that's not what Cliff intend, whatever, I can still get the great sounds I need using the device that are arguable accurate regardless of what anyone thinks. Which I find amusing, being no one here has used or heard my rig.

If you're ever in NYC, feel to drop my studio and take it for spin. I'd happy to let check it out and get your opinion on it.

Peace.

No argument with what your saying, but please stop saying "I don't care". How apply my gear is my preference. We wouldn't be here if we all didn't care. =:·)

I get your point... but I am NOT using a full-range system or PA (at this time). Maybe that's not what Cliff intend, whatever, I can still get the great sounds I need using the device that are arguable accurate regardless of what anyone thinks. Which I find amusing, being no one here has used or heard my rig.

If you're ever in NYC, feel to drop my studio and take it for spin. I'd happy to let check it out and get your opinion on it.

Peace.

You're taking the phrase "If you don't care about that" in a way that I did not intend it to be taken.
You don't seem to be considering what I meant by the word "that".

At any rate, enjoy your Axe.

Page 30, I guess I'm late to the party here, and I usually don't comment on firmware threads as there usually isn't anything I can add that hasn't already been said by more knowledgeable players. BUT....

I just came back from 4 days of camping, playing acoustic and a strat through a battery powered Fender Mustang, and coming home to the "old" version 10 was over the top, having good tone and feel again. Updated to 11Beta and it's just to much to take in right now. Thanks Cliff!!

Back to the thread topic+ ... I gigged with V11b, last night, and used my CLR for the first time out of the house, too. I was going to wait until after the gig to upgrade, but after reading Cliff's comment about not hesitating to use it, I loaded it (after a full backup, of course). We played at an outdoor BBQ (bottom of a hillside, on a large trailer-stage). The sound and feel out of Axe-Fx were inspiring to me (I'm certain it made me play better). I'm one who others in the band always have a hard time hearing, on other parts of the stage. They could hear me well, last night. I upgraded from the Reactor wedge, which I really liked, but there was no comparison in clarity (and volume). I am one who uses the volume knob and it worked very nicely. I am a very satisfied customer ... thank you, Cliff!

OK - probably just my rig or v11b install from yesterday and I do plan to re-flash 11b later today just to see, but I am experiencing really slow booting/power on with my Axe now that I installed 11b. All the lights light up and it looks just like a hang up, to the point where after a couple of boot attempts/hangs I unplugged everything (including power for a couple of minutes), then booted with just power plugged in as a test - did the same thing. I left it alone, turning to my computer to search the forum for any similar report, and when I turned back to the unit it had finished booting? Did it again and realized it looks like it hangs, but if I leave it alone for a minute or so it does boot up. Did the same a few more times with things plugged back in, to verify it was repeatable. Any other experience like this? I might also re-flash with v10 just to see.

Thanks all!

try re-installing 11b
if no luck, try downloading 11b again and reinstalling from the new one

Back
Top Bottom