Get the Funk Out... sort of...

swass

Power User
First recording with Axe II and first experience with DAW.

Hopefully I'll be a late bloomer with this digital recording stuff. Lots to learn and is quite the curve. Hope it's as enjoyable to listen to as it was to create new patches with the Axe II. As far as the recording learning curve... it is nothing but hair pulling at times to say the least.

Constructive criticism, comments very welcome. I know it is not a precise cover... far from it... but I don't care about that. Just having some fun creating new tones with the Axe and playing this cool tune... plus my tapping lacks compared to Nuno... when in doubt.. SWEEP! :)

Backing track that was "doped up" a bit due to cool MP3 quality plus a pretty crappy cut and paste I did due to totally annoying guitar backing track tones that were in the last chorus.

US Frankin' Strat > AxeII > USB > Reaper. No post work on guitars

Amp Models: 1987x and Corncob. Cab: 4x12 SLM G65 (OH)/mic: R121

Last edited:
Good work for trying an Extreme tune. Thats to much skills for me to try and cover these days. How do you get the soundcloud thing right in your post. I'm new and still can't figure it out. I end up just having links.

Thanks. Yah, it took me a bit to brush up on the fast playing. It was worth it. The Axe has renewed my desire to play much more. As far as posting the clip. All I did to post the soundtrack was click on the "soundcloud" icon. It'll leave a command text on your post. Then paste the link in the center of the script command for soundcloud.

Peace,

Last edited:
Thanks, I did it an odd way and got it to work. Not sure what soundcloud icon you are talking about but I guess I got it the other way.

Nice tone you have there! I did a Nuno tone patch based on Brit pre that get quite close. Care to share your patch to compare?

Oh yeah, great playing too

Funky Metal Fairy-Tale...

Even attempting some Nuno playing takes balls. Congratulations on your balls. Both technique and phrasing-I think he's one of the very best who's ever picked up a guitar.

Hi swass! :)

Nuno Bettencourt is an Extreme talent (sorry for the bad pun!) Seriously though, Nuno is an excellent rock guitarist. I grew up (and still reside) in the northwest-suburbs of Boston, MA - U.S.A, so I was fortunate to be able to go see Nuno play with Extreme before (1987-1989) most of the world even knew who he was, (or who his band Extreme was either) and I have very fond and nostalgic memories of "muscling my way" to the front-row of Club III in Somerville, MA or The Channel in Boston, MA to get a very up-close glimpse of this (then) up-and-coming "funky-metal-shredder!" One of the things about Nuno that always stood-out to me (compared to a lot of his contemporaries in the 80's rock-genre) was his grooving and inventive rhythm-playing. I always thought that Nuno was underrated in regards to his rhythm-playing!

Anyways, I attribute Nuno's rhythm-playing prowess to:

1.) Nuno being a drummer-turned-guitarist when he was very young.
2.) Nuno coming from (and being the youngest in) a HUGE Portuguese family which had many other fine musicians who influenced a young Nuno.
3.) Nuno was obviously influenced by (but is BY NO MEANS is a "clone-of") Edward Van Halen (who was ALSO an underrated rhythm-guitarist IMO!)

In fact, one thing that sticks out to me about the "shreddier-players" who are known for their speed, but really seem to get my attention, is that certain players invariably STILL have great groove/rhythm even when they are playing really fast stuff! I've slowed Nuno-licks down, and his timing/articulation/etc. is AWESOME! (BTW, Paul Gilbert possesses a similar sense of time when he plays fast. Guthrie Govan...well...don't get me started, as he is so freakin' good that I'm likely to hi-jack this thread (moreso than I already have - LOL!) ;)

Anyways, Nuno's playing DOES require a lot of BALLS, PASSION, GROOVE, and TALENT (God-given, acquired, and/or all-of-the-above - LOL!)

I admire anyone willing to take that plunge! Good job on the LEAD-Guitar playing and your tone-creation NOT overly distorted...I like that!

Congratulations on your balls.

ROTFLMAO!

Bill

Last edited:
Sorry for the late getting back to the replies left. I was out of town for work for the last week... WITH NO INTERNET !!:eek:

Thanks so much for your kind replies and comments. I agree. Nuno has been one of my favorite players for years and you got it right... one of the most gifted ever. Never mind his terrifying leads work for one moment. His rhythm playing is what totally rocks and is what hooked me. What is even more cool is his rhythm work is implemented in his lead playing as well! Phrasing, note choices, technique, groove and rhythm.. a total package to learn from. Oh and I cannot forget his vibrato. To me that's a very important aspect of the instrument.

Yah... I guess I had to have some "balls" to do that because of who he is, his sheer talent... and what is really involved there. I took a shot knowing I could leave myself open to some ridicule... you only live once!

Peace,

Back
Top Bottom