Get that kind of delay out of the Axe Fx

TheTrooper

Inspired
Hey guys,
I was watching this video of a 1998 clinic that Mr. John Petrucci di at MI, and I really sh*tted my pants when I heard that kind of super cool delays at the end (1:14:45 is the time of the video).
My question is: how do we achieve that with the Axe Fx?
In paticular, what parameter shall we tweak? :D
he says that the delays are "modulating into each other". He is using an Eventide.
I'd really like to figure that out, or have somebody that can figuere that out.

Thanks!

I did something like this once with two regular delay blocks in series (series with each other, but parallel to the main signal chain), both set to tape mode. First one had slower rate and lower motor speed, second was the opposite.

You have to play with the mix values a bit to get them right, but that routing along with some creative panning & ping-pong setups can really pull off some cool vibes.

Just kinda' slapped this together doing what I described. If you dig it, the preset is attached.

Preset (for IIMk2):

Attachments

• Delay Thing.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 36
...if you use that preset, experiment with the motor drives. You might like one (or both) faster or slower. It makes a big difference to the brightness/darkness of the feedback trail.

actually it's quite difficult to get that exact rhythm, because the eventide has an 8 tap multi delay with filtering, which the axe doesn't have. but if you load up the band delay and leave everything at default, but turn all four feedback levels to 50% and then turn up all the Q parameters to 10, you get a very similar vibe. you can also add a little modulation as well, if you like. turn all four lfo's up to about 5% and then set the four lfo rates randomly between 2 and 4 hz

try the quad series as well. that's what i went for first, but i couldn't get the rhythm. if you're not worried about that specific rhythm,, you can get some very cool "circular" panning stuff with that block and it has the filtering, too. change the feedback "from" and "to" parameters to get some very cool rhythms

Right, but he could get an approximation of the filtering by adjusting the motor speeds and/or modulation on his own.

The preset I recorded and posted has none of either, only different EQs. So there's a lot of room for filtering left.

Right, but he could get an approximation of the filtering by adjusting the motor speeds and/or modulation on his own.

no. not that kind of bandpass filtering. adjusting the motor speed and modulation will only change the pitch

Sooooo, I managed to record two clips with the settings suggested by simeon.

The first one is an Arpeggios Lick that implies a chord progression (F#m A C#m7 Dmaj7 G#dim Bm7 Amaj7) played using Tapping and String Skipping

The second one is a Betcha Can't Play This that John Petrucci did for Guitar World

Hope you dig it :)

Back
Top Bottom