Get FW9 sound in FW10, tips from AxeFX masters

AlGrenadine

Legend!
Vendor
Tried those tips, and combined they do what you need if you miss some of the FW9 tones.
Finally best of both worlds can be reached easily :

If you don't like it turn Triode Hardness to zero, turn off MIMIC and it will sound like V9.
I prefer the more raw, unpolished aspects of v.10; but for a 'slicker' more polished amp tone, change the Power Supply Type from AC to DC.
Turn motor drive in the cab block to 0.01. Subtle, but closer to V9.

Last edited:
May be a new special feature should be added to the AXE: "Return to v9". It would do all that, just on one param/button.

Last edited:
Turn motor drive in the cab block to 0.01. Subtle, but closer to V9.
Also, check the low resonance frequency in the speaker page. The default value has changed significantly from the default in V9, which makes a big difference to the low end.

Thanks antcarrier !
The goal is to inventory tips for guys who miss their FW9 tones, so every new tip is a great addition !

May be a new special feature should be added to the AXE: "Return to v9". It would do all that, just on one param/button.

My guess is that this is a fase just like we've seen on previous FW updates.
When people have lived with FW 10 a little and tweaked their new patches, most will prefere their v10 patches and no longer think about their v9 tone.
Each FW have IMHO bettered the previous and know I won't look back.

I'm off for a full day in the rehearsal space to tweak new patches in v10 for a new project and to test the 3 CLR's that Tom delivered to me last week - what's not to like :)

My guess is that this is a fase just like we've seen on previous FW updates.
When people have lived with FW 10 a little and tweaked their new patches, most will prefere their v10 patches and no longer think about their v9 tone.
Each FW have IMHO bettered the previous and know I won't look back.

I'm off for a full day in the rehearsal space to tweak new patches in v10 for a new project and to test the 3 CLR's that Tom delivered to me last week - what's not to like :)

This is not... i tend to prefer FW10 on most tones but on some very high gain presets using the tips to emulate FW9 give better results, even on FW10.
So FW10 can definitely sound >= FW9 on every type of sounds...

This is not... i tend to prefer FW10 on most tones but on some very high gain presets using the tips to emulate FW9 give better results, even on FW10.
So FW10 can definitely sound >= FW9 on every type of sounds...

It's great that you are finding tones that works for you - that's really the only thing that matters.
This might be semantics and not worth debating, but to me it doesn't sound like you're emulating FW9 - it sounds like you are learning to tweak FW10 to get the same great tones (or even better ones) as the ones you had when you used FW9.
Just because a new FW has some new features, doesn't mean that you have to use them for all your patches - find what works for you for different sounds = learn how to dial your tones in on the new FW10.
That's what I meant by this being a fase, just like when we upgraded from FW7->FW8->FW9 there was a lot of people stayed on a given FW and didn't upgrade because they felt the older version was better or more easy to dial tones in on. Once you get tricks like the ones you posted down you can get what you loved from your old tones happening and then develop them from there and make them even better. All IMHO naturally.

Probably a stupid Q, but: May I ask where to make these tweeks on the AXE-FXII?
Dig around in the advanced tabs of the amp block for the first two and I think that motor drive is in the cabinet block or they moved it to one of the last tabs in the amp block. I can't remember off hand.

Back
Top Bottom