German pop ballad with atmospheric Axe II guitars

Matoshi

Inspired
Hi friends,

I'm usually a rock / metal guitarist, but took the chance to do some session stuff for German pop singer Neo Marks (cool dude) at the BRIGHT ROOM STUDIOS last month to see what I could come up with in a pop music context. I went in without knowing the songs, armed with my Axe FX II and my trusted Schecter Jeff Loomis signature 7-string tuned to drop A. :lol

Anyway, I had some fun creating patches on the spot and recording mostly improvised stuff right away, contrary to my usual endless tweaking and overthinking of things. The project is now finished and Neo posted some excerpts from the new songs on his SoundCloud. I'm particularly fond of the outcome of the ballad "Mein Leben", in which I recorded some cool tremolo and atmospheric pad sounds to fill the space that would usually be covered by the keyboards. So apart from the piano, trumpets and vocals, all you hear in this track is actually guitar! :)

Here's the song:

Fun anecdote: During the project I kept joking about how I want to include a drop A powerchord somewhere in one of the songs. On the last day in the studio it actually happened and was recorded in a part of the ballad above! :lol Unfortunately you can't hear it because it happens near the end of the song, which is not included in the excerpt. :?

Back
Top Bottom