George Lynch tribute

dupere11497

Experienced
Ok! I know Mark Day already record some Dokken covers like Dream Warrior. It was good, really heavy, kind of modern tone. Well, I thought I should do my own version, vintage style. So here it is, Dokken Dream warrior like it use to be. I use a backing track for vocals, bass and drums. All guitars are record direct using the axe fx. Please, don't ask for patches since I made them on the fly and erase them after all is done. Anyway, by themselves, the guitar tracks sucks but really shines in the mix context...I guess! For rythm parts, I use the Marsha Be, one track pan left with a redwire greenback cab and one right with the cali cab, no mic. For the leads, I use a Marsha Be with a tube screamer in front, same cabs in stereo. I tried to get as close as possible from the original. All effects are from the Axe fx, no post production except for some master limiting. George Lynch is a big influence and this is my tribute to this great guitar player and genuine person. Enjoy folks!

master dokken.mp3

Ok guys! I lied, I kept the patches, I'm just too lazy to share them!!! But since you guys seems to insist and doubt about my work, I'll share my patches. Here they are, including the clean tones. Now remember, they might not sound that good by themselves, for the lead patch, you'll have to backoff the delays and reverbs. For the rythm patch, I used the redwire greenback cab with sm57 cone edge 2 inch I think. Use the same patch with a cali cab no mic instead of the greenback for the right part. That's it enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/?te8vp5p77pev80c
http://www.mediafire.com/?09bia9d54cfazoz
http://www.mediafire.com/?0srcwb2mon91c79

Last edited:
First off, let me say that the tones on this sound incredible (I am a huge Lynch fan also). Second, (and don't take this the wrong way) if you are such a big fan and why would you not save the patch? It might have been fun to play around with. Thanks for sharing the tune, it was awesome.

First off, let me say that the tones on this sound incredible (I am a huge Lynch fan also). Second, (and don't take this the wrong way) if you are such a big fan and why would you not save the patch? It might have been fun to play around with. Thanks for sharing the tune, it was awesome.

+1 That was FANTASTIC. Man, I wish you would have saved those presets! Tone was awesome, and the playing was killer!

Please, don't ask for patches since I made them on the fly and erase them after all is done.

I'm surprised you don't delete the mp3 and project before posting it :p This was posted on April Fools Day so I doubt it's even an Axe-Fx. Could be an actual Lynch recording. Sounds very good.

Sounds good, but yeah, makes you wonder. Why go to all the trouble of setting up a patch, and then delete it? If a guy just didn't want it on his Axe Fx, he could save it to his HD and have it to share with the forum members. Oh well, there's still a lot of other guys sharing great patches.

I edit my post, you can get the patches upthere!! And thanks Jerotas, assuming you were serious speculating this could be a George Lynch recording really touch my ego! But unlike him, the solo was like a 30+ take and still it's not pefect. but I like the result as far as tone is concern, it is close enough to me to the original track. I really love those Marsha sims!!

Ok! I know Mark Day already record some Dokken covers like Dream Warrior. It was good, really heavy, kind of modern tone. Well, I thought I should do my own version, vintage style. So here it is, Dokken Dream warrior like it use to be. I use a backing track for vocals, bass and drums. All guitars are record direct using the axe fx. Please, don't ask for patches since I made them on the fly and erase them after all is done. Anyway, by themselves, the guitar tracks sucks but really shines in the mix context...I guess! For rythm parts, I use the Marsha Be, one track pan left with a redwire greenback cab and one right with the cali cab, no mic. For the leads, I use a Marsha Be with a tube screamer in front, same cabs in stereo. I tried to get as close as possible from the original. All effects are from the Axe fx, no post production except for some master limiting. George Lynch is a big influence and this is my tribute to this great guitar player and genuine person. Enjoy folks!

master dokken.mp3

Ok guys! I lied, I kept the patches, I'm just too lazy to share them!!! But since you guys seems to insist and doubt about my work, I'll share my patches. Here they are, including the clean tones. Now remember, they might not sound that good by themselves, for the lead patch, you'll have to backoff the delays and reverbs. For the rythm patch, I used the redwire greenback cab with sm57 cone edge 2 inch I think. Use the same patch with a cali cab no mic instead of the greenback for the right part. That's it enjoy!

Compressed Rhythm.syx
ENGLBALL.syx
Hi Gain Lead.syx

Man, I was talking to Jerotas about this before he posted. We knew you would buckle under pressure and either share or admit it was fake HAHA So yeah that rules:) Great work btw, tone and playing!!!! Hopefully we can get you to share more often without "messing with your ego":D

Thanks Senseix! I really enjoy both your post you and Jerota. I think we all enjoy 80's hard rock. The Axefx sure can nail all those guitar tones we all loved from Eddie to Vito and every guitar heroes in beetween. I have several real amps I still enjoy playing for in the room amp tones, but for recording, the Axefx just can't be beaten. There is no way I could get similar tones cranking a tube amp and miking it at home, I just don't have the room for that purpose. Anyway, thanks for the comments, I appreciate it!! I will post some other stuff in a near future!!

You should post this on TGP in the Digital/Modeling section. It's *that* good. You'll freak folks out with it.

Thanks Scott! I agree with you, the Axe fx has taken the digital limits to the point you can easily fool the analog purist! Fact is there is almost no post-processing here, it shows the magic you can achieve with the Axe. Any comment from Cliff himself would be appreciate on this one!! :)

WOwzers!!!!!
smiley_guitar.gif

I used a slightly modified version of these last night for a rehearsal. They were well received. Used them with some custom IR's of my Lynch Box cabinet. A little tweaking to do yet but they sound great live. I think I cut too much low end and need to boost it up a bit.

After listening to this version and the original version back-to-back several times in a row I have to say I like this version more than the original! The solo is just plain awesome and the solo tone is fantastic! It fits in the mix perfectly without being shrill. The rhythm sound is a little too direct for my taste- perhaps if there were a way to make it sound a little more 'distant'... add some reverb? I dunno- I'm not a producer.

As for comparing it to the original... I think the solo tone is right on, but the original rhythm sound seems to have less gain/less highs/a little more warmth & 'oomph' and is set back further in the mix. Maybe that's why I like this version more- because it seems to have a bit more spark and life to it.

After listening to this version and the original version back-to-back several times in a row I have to say I like this version more than the original! The solo is just plain awesome and the solo tone is fantastic! It fits in the mix perfectly without being shrill. The rhythm sound is a little too direct for my taste- perhaps if there were a way to make it sound a little more 'distant'... add some reverb? I dunno- I'm not a producer.

As for comparing it to the original... I think the solo tone is right on, but the original rhythm sound seems to have less gain/less highs/a little more warmth & 'oomph' and is set back further in the mix. Maybe that's why I like this version more- because it seems to have a bit more spark and life to it.

+1 The singer especially. He can kick Don Dokkens @55.

Back
Top Bottom