George Lynch and Chris Broderick discussing AXE FX

I wonder if he even knew how to make a decent patch on the Axe-FX II when he ran the comparison. It takes some time with modelers to get what you want out of them. If they just ran some quick test off a preset I could see how one could come to his conclusion.

I wonder if he even knew how to make a decent patch on the Axe-FX II when he ran the comparison. It takes some time with modelers to get what you want out of them. If they just ran some quick test off a preset I could see how one could come to his conclusion.
Seriously?!
I mean you really think there's a learning curve in how to tweak a knob after tweaking knobs and more importantly having spent enough time in studios to understand what it takes to capture a decent tone?

I watched it and fwiw Lynch looked and layed like he was super uncomfortable.
The kud a burning and clearly he won't let crap tone stand in the way of chops.

I always wondered what happened to him. To me, it seemed like when he went to GIT, it all went down hill. He came back sounding robotic, lost his feel, some of his cool quirkiness and substituted some of it with "tech for the sake of tech". Then, he totally lost the tech and just went somewhere else as a lead player, that I just no longer enjoy. :(
Don't think MI can be faulted for that since Lynch just came and sat in on a few classes back in the late 80s. Not like he enrolled.

But I think the early Lynch Mob stuff was the coolest. Along with some of the unreleased black sheep stuff... But then everyone went through that band... Him, Gilbert, etc...

Back for the Attack George through early Lynch Mob is by fav...def one of my biggest early influences. Sad that he could never just play normal sounding music. The old vid fo him trying to jam with Gilbert and Kotzen live was just brutal to watch. Hard to have your heroes just wilt before your eyes (ears)

Yeah they both seem super nervous and sound horrific, not just the 'sound' but the playing. Get michael romeo or Loomis in that room to blow them both away.

Yeah they both seem super nervous and sound horrific, not just the 'sound' but the playing. Get michael romeo or Loomis in that room to blow them both away.
I remember Jeff sitting in with my trio a few times back when I iced in Seattle during the end of Nevermore. Great player for sure but the dick measuring with metal guys is funny.

Not many guys have the single string ability of Shawn Lane or Don Mock...

I've seen before, just remember feeling bad for George.. just felt old, like a changing of the guard type thing.
no way,man...Lynch is apple and Broderick is orange..you know what I mean..?..its not about how fast or technical abillities you have..it is in the end how you can send a song directly to my heart it is about how strong your guitar reach my heart..thats why I will never compare Clapton to Malmseen..just be happy they are alive...we all grew old

I think as far as Lynch's comments on the Axe go, you could hear it in how he was explaining it. He is just one of those tube amp purists that go into it already convinced in their mind that they aren't going to like it, and it will never sound as good as their trusty tube amps. So regardless of how good the tone is coming out of the box they are going to find something they don't like about it, even if it's all in their head and not really there. You could just hear it in the way he explained it, with his vague reasoning of, I don't know what it is, but it just didn't even compare comments.

There are alot of people out there like this, but that's ok. To each his own. and he did say he used one in the studio, but live it just wasn't for him, so maybe he just couldn't get that amp in the room feel he was after.

Don't think MI can be faulted for that since Lynch just came and sat in on a few classes back in the late 80s. Not like he enrolled.

But I think the early Lynch Mob stuff was the coolest. Along with some of the unreleased black sheep stuff... But then everyone went through that band... Him, Gilbert, etc...

I actually heard from a few credible sources that he did enroll and was done right around the time sacred groove came out. He mentions going back there doing open counselling as well in a few things I've read. I know his son went for a year and a half. Anyway..

I don't fault MIT but I've heard at least 5 players come back from there sounding worse than they we're before. Like they don't know what to do with the knowledge.

I get people that come to my studio for recording lessons that spent big bucks at Full Sail. They have all this knowledge and can't use it because that Neve and SSL they learned on with all the top notch stuff isn't at their disposal.

They're stuck with Reaper an SM57 and an m-audio interface. They learn more about real life and recording here in one day than they did their entire semester.

Though the above is irrelevant, it's kinda the point I was trying to make with Lynch. Whether he went to school or not, something changed as he started replacing his cool slippery stuff with more "scales just the way he learned them" as well as arpeggios. I just didn't dig that direction coming from him. He was that "element of surprise guitarist" to me.

Yeah I dug the Lynch Mob stuff too. She's So Evil may be my all time fave. Always liked the Dokken stuff as well. Under Look and Key was my fave from them along with Back for the Attack.

You guys ever check out the clinic GL did at Sweetwater the music store? It was so bad I couldn't watch the whole thing. Tone was terrible, playing was not to my liking, and he talked too much and went off on an American Indian rant that just turned me off.

That's one thing I can't stand...musicians or actors trying to voice their opinions on politics, race or religion when I want to see and hear them play music. I would have stomached it a little better if he would have played better....but whew, he lost me as a fan after that presentation. :(

no way,man...Lynch is apple and Broderick is orange..you know what I mean..?..its not about how fast or technical abillities you have..it is in the end how you can send a song directly to my heart it is about how strong your guitar reach my heart..thats why I will never compare Clapton to Malmseen..just be happy they are alive...we all grew old

Yeah I get it, I'm more old school than the new stuff... but the conversation, the old tube snob, vs new hotness. Playing taken off the table, just the conversation, the way George was looking like a deer in the headlights made me sad.

Seriously?!
I mean you really think there's a learning curve in how to tweak a knob after tweaking knobs and more importantly having spent enough time in studios to understand what it takes to capture a decent tone?

I watched it and fwiw Lynch looked and layed like he was super uncomfortable.
The kud a burning and clearly he won't let crap tone stand in the way of chops.

Haha I don't know, Ed. There are quite a few players that can play and have been around studios their whole lives. It doesn't guarantee they know how to engineer and produce. GL had some pretty big guns producing his stuff. The stuff he's done on his own in my opinion, doesn't hold a candle to his past tones. Look at Yngwie...horrible engineer and producer. Insane player though. :)

So it's safe to say (or argue) they both may need a few courses in knob tweaking. ;)

I also don't think those dudes have the time or desire to sit there and tweak 6-8 tabs worth of amp tweaking. Some probably do. But most others....only if Admin Matt goes and shows them how incredible the axe is. That guy is a Godsend.

And after that, they have to swallow that an XL+ rack or AX8 just ate their pricey, signature tube amp. Haha..

Thanks for posting that!
Although the guitar tones in that video weren't super (probably due to poorly miced recording) GL does know how to get some great guitar tones!
I always thought his Randall module amp stack sounded great, and his Lynchback speakers are loved by many.
It would be super sweet if one day Cliff would add a little more Randall goodness to the Axe FX.
Not that we 'need' it though hahaha.

Yeah I dug the Lynch Mob stuff too. She's So Evil may be my all time fave.

That's my personal Lynch Mob favorite, too. It sounds so fierce and savage! The only MAJOR complaint that I have regarding that song is that the recording engineers have used a fadeout at the end of the song. I would've loved to hear that outro go on and on for at least another 2 minutes...

I've listened to a couple newer videos of George and the only ones I liked were the Shadow Train song "Fallen" (definitely more hard rock than hair metal, reminds of Lynch Mob's "Rain" composition-wise) and his Navajo jam session:

I think the old Lynch shines through, if only a bit, in these videos.

Not that familiar with Lynch's earlier stuff, but really digging this:

I lost interest in anything Lynch did after the first Lynch Mob album. Great player, but can't seem to write a decent lick to save his life anymore. Same with Pinnick.

Back
Top Bottom