Genesis, Live at Bataclan France Jan 10, 1973 (16mm->4K)

Man, Hackett sounds so good through that AxeFX 0 Hiwatt sim... ;-)

The video restoration is killer on this. Will have to watch the rest later.

The 60's weren't the only decade that the psychedelics richly flowed it would seem. But its good that videos like this still show up. We have so preciously little of the age before VHS made live videos suddenly lucrative.

Great vid!

Lot's of Genesis fans are unaware of the Peter Gabriel era which, when I was a young prog nerd geeking out on "Lamb lies Down", was the only Genesis. Then Peter exited and Phil took the mic for my favorite Genesis era (Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, And then there Were 3) which is also somewhat unknown to many Genesis fans. This was the end of my beloved prog Genesis though, as the very pop/commercial oriented Genesis emerged (Duke). Good for me though as it pushed me into a Rush deep dive period.

A long journey indeed from songs like "supper's ready" to "Afterglow" to ... uh.. " I can't dance" (grrr).

Lot's of Genesis fans are unaware of the Peter Gabriel era which, when I was a young prog nerd geeking out on "Lamb lies Down", was the only Genesis. Then Peter exited and Phil took the mic for my favorite Genesis era (Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, And then there Were 3) which is also somewhat unknown to many Genesis fans. This was the end of Genesis for me, as the very pop/commercial oriented Genesis emerged. Good for me though as it pushed me into a Rush deep dive period.

A long journey indeed from songs like "supper's ready" to "Afterglow" to ... uh.. " I can't dance" (grrr).
Don't forget Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme😀

Great vid!

Lot's of Genesis fans are unaware of the Peter Gabriel era which, when I was a young prog nerd geeking out on "Lamb lies Down", was the only Genesis. Then Peter exited and Phil took the mic for my favorite Genesis era (Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, And then there Were 3) which is also somewhat unknown to many Genesis fans. This was the end of my beloved prog Genesis though, as the very pop/commercial oriented Genesis emerged (Duke). Good for me though as it pushed me into a Rush deep dive period.

I've always preferred the post-Gabriel Genesis (although Lamb Lies Down and a few other songs from their early albums were great, IMO). Duke and ABACAB are two of my favorite albums from any artist. Maybe that's because I was playing in a bar band when those albums came out, and we were the only band in town playing songs from those albums. We were also playing songs from Pink Floyd's The Wall. Part of our popularity was that we weren't playing the same Top 40 songs everyone else in the area was, but it was still danceable.

I've always preferred the post-Gabriel Genesis (although Lamb Lies Down and a few other songs from their early albums were great, IMO). Duke and ABACAB are two of my favorite albums from any artist. Maybe that's because I was playing in a bar band when those albums came out, and we were the only band in town playing songs from those albums. We were also playing songs from Pink Floyd's The Wall. Part of our popularity was that we weren't playing the same Top 40 songs everyone else in the area was, but it was still danceable.
Definitely some weird + super proggy stuff pre- Duke. Any cover band doing the early stuff (could not have been many) would have to consider breaking out the thestrics!

Definitely some weird + super proggy stuff pre- Duke. Any cover band doing the early stuff (could not have been many) would have to consider breaking out the thestrics!

But he didn't turn into a flower at Supper's Ready. 😿 🥀
I don't know if it is cut, or if they just played a shorter version

1618374179293.jpeg

A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are as high on my list as any other albums. And I came to appreciate their later stuff. Perhaps pop, but first rate pop.
Yes, maybe I fell victim to opinions around me and failed to form my own.
I just branched out and followed Gabriel.
He toured Paris regularly and I never missed a show. I still remember the Olympia Theater vibrating with the drum intro of Intruder! Ha ha! Chills!

A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are as high on my list as any other albums. And I came to appreciate their later stuff. Perhaps pop, but first rate pop.
Trick and W&W are both right up there for me as well.

Yes, maybe I fell victim to opinions around me and failed to form my own.
In some ways, so did I. I really didn't like the direction they went once Hackett left, except for a few songs. I was into prog, jazz fusion, etc and wanted Genesis to stay in that vein. Even if many of the songs were good, there were plenty of pop bands to fill that niche but very few who could do what Genesis had done from Trespass > W&W.

It's funny how we can want to peg bands into certain niches, where we don't like it when they do something different... but if someone else had done the exact same song I'd like it.

I just branched out and followed Gabriel.
This.

Back
Top Bottom