General Question

HerrWolfe

Hello everyone. I am new here in forum. I am new with axe and guitar play. I have read many post and not spoken due to not know much about axe. I struggle with English manual. Are there translations? I decide to play jazz and practise with metronome and Ted Greene book for one year. Very slow learning. I very much like extreme metal, but little desire to play. I have one jazz preset I quite like. I post here for critic and advise. I decide for fun to make gain preset, if nothing else for understanding of axe. There are two amp block stereo. Problem is I only hear amp 2. Bypass 2 and amp 1 is little ugly noise. I assume phase problem but can not locate the cause of problem. I post here for advise with problem and critic. Suggestions are most welcome. My first attempt on axe for extreme metal, and advise is most welcome. I apologise for poor English, critic of English is also most welcome. I have American freind who post for me when I have opportunity to avoid confusion. I am very excite to make freinds here in forum and am to start post more. Thank you for time and tolerate my freinds. Also I have just ordered mfc mark three and mission 1sp pedal. I am happy as a child!

Attachments

• Halal_20140219_235544.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Kafir_20140219_235550.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
Please understand I do not djent. I prefer the like of extreme metal old school. Guitar is Schecter c8fr tuned standard. Stock guitar

Hi, welcome, will check out your presets later, but Im confused:

Youve been playing one year? Must be nice to be able to afford axe fx, mfc etc. but If I were you Id get a simple combo amp and just play the hell out of it until you actually know how to play; You are going to ruin your progress learning, wasting time on here trying to get good presets! Your choice of course, but I say less tweaking more practicing; I had a peavey backstage then studio for about my first 15 years of playing!

Second, you play jazz but want to learn extreme metal? cool combination!

I am inspired by sleep terror. Only one album but them sadly. I play on oud for seven years. I am familiar with string instrument and am learning well. Two hour practise with chord change and metronome everyday. Sometimes until fingers bled. I take things slow. I care not for speed and technical, but composition and beauty to my ears. Western note structure is very different from maqam but not impossibly different. I think axe aids significant with practise. When I make a nice sound, it inspire me to play. I was not inspired in such a manner with my tube amp. Its a perfect practise aid for slow learner like me. I record in to Reaper demos and practise solo. Metronome is very easy. Record is easy as can be. I i just play for pleasure, I know I will never be serious musician. It satisfies me. I will gladly post clip when I am confident. I had blues junior and loved it. But maintenence and hassle in replacing tubes. The desire to always modify, new pedals. The volume unacceptable. I dont find many tube amp with headphone jack. It is hassle to record tube amp. I wish to be loud, but I must respect my family as they respect me. The axe is perfect to me, I feel progress is coming along at my pace. Guitar pro and superior drummer are very much help too. I have many old jazz instruction text, but Ted Greene is my favourite! I feel it is good foundation. It is great fun for me and that is what matter most to me. I work very hard for my living and, yes it is all very expensive, but I save for a long time. It is far cheaper than traditional guitar rig if I think about it. And If I ever join band, I am all ready. Just need wedge. I have makay mr8 monitors, perfect for bedroom. I know it is very much overkill, but life is short and music is forever. Thank you for dialogue and welcoming my freind!

Maybe you could speak with my wife regarding the whole life is short and music is forever thing. It would make things less awkward when the delivery truck shows up! Seriously, glad to hear you are enjoying the Axe FX. It is inspiring when you have the tools to create the tone you hear in your head.

It truly is and it is fascinated to me. I would not change it for any amp in the world. Perhaps your wife does not understand, my family does not either, but I believe we all do. It is what makes forum such a special place to me. All something in common. It is hard to explain why you need to buy something so expensive, but it is worth it if it fulfills you. That is all that matter in the end

"life is short and music is forever"....that one is so deep and true!

I understand you perfectly. Axe FX is relatively expensive piece of equipment but I also knew, I had to have it. If not now, when then? :) Other people buy cars, clothes or just go out all the time. For me there was no doubt, I knew Axe FX was the right decision, without thinking twice. And like you say, a nice sound inspires me to play and experiment too. This was also one big reason for me to buy this unit.

welcome to forum, herr wolfe!

i tried both of your presets

the amp in the jazz preset had the gain set very, very low and there was hardly any level. i turned the gain up to 5 and it was much better. the amp was still clean at that setting. a little too much delay and reverb for my taste, but a nice patch!

the dual amp patch had some problems. you weren't getting stereo, because you were feeding both amps into both cabs - each cab was seeing the left amp and the right amp. you also had a split at the end of the layout - this just adds 6db and serves no purpose. your input gate and block gate settings were so high, they were cutting out the note attack. the eq at the beginning of the layout was cutting bass, but you can do this just as easily by using the "cut" parameter in the amp block. you also don't need the enhancer block in this type of patch - the enhancer is used to make mono patches wider, but this patch is already as wide as it can be :) the bottom amp had way too much gain and the top amp didn't have enough, i think.
if you are going to bypass amps and cabs while building a preset, make sure the bypass mode is set to "mute", not "thru" so that no signal passes through when the block is bypassed.
you were using some user cabs, so i had to replace these with factory cabs to test. you will need to put those back (it's a good idea to let us know if you're using user cabs if you share a preset) - here's an updated preset...

as for your problem with only hearing one amp. make sure you have output 1 and output 2 set to "stereo" in the global settings. if they are already set this way, then we may need to look deeper. try my patch - you should hear one amp from the left speaker and one amp from the right speaker.

Attachments

• Kafir Sim Tweak.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
^ Despite the broken English (although it's not hard to understand what you're saying), that is beautifully said. :)

Thank you very much, my freind! I learn English from movies and books. I know i need improve but not bad only for two years!

"life is short and music is forever"....that one is so deep and true!

I understand you perfectly. Axe FX is relatively expensive piece of equipment but I also knew, I had to have it. If not now, when then? :) Other people buy cars, clothes or just go out all the time. For me there was no doubt, I knew Axe FX was the right decision, without thinking twice. And like you say, a nice sound inspires me to play and experiment too. This was also one big reason for me to buy this unit.

Thank you but I do not try to sound deep my freind! Happy accident as you guy say :D. Yes is very worth it for right people. Not for all but I care not for authentic sound. If I want that, I would buy tube amp again. I like my sound. That is the true gift of axe for me and perhaps yourself.

welcome to forum, herr wolfe!

i tried both of your presets

the amp in the jazz preset had the gain set very, very low and there was hardly any level. i turned the gain up to 5 and it was much better. the amp was still clean at that setting. a little too much delay and reverb for my taste, but a nice patch!

the dual amp patch had some problems. you weren't getting stereo, because you were feeding both amps into both cabs - each cab was seeing the left amp and the right amp. you also had a split at the end of the layout - this just adds 6db and serves no purpose. your input gate and block gate settings were so high, they were cutting out the note attack. the eq at the beginning of the layout was cutting bass, but you can do this just as easily by using the "cut" parameter in the amp block. you also don't need the enhancer block in this type of patch - the enhancer is used to make mono patches wider, but this patch is already as wide as it can be :) the bottom amp had way too much gain and the top amp didn't have enough, i think.
if you are going to bypass amps and cabs while building a preset, make sure the bypass mode is set to "mute", not "thru" so that no signal passes through when the block is bypassed.
you were using some user cabs, so i had to replace these with factory cabs to test. you will need to put those back (it's a good idea to let us know if you're using user cabs if you share a preset) - here's an updated preset...

as for your problem with only hearing one amp. make sure you have output 1 and output 2 set to "stereo" in the global settings. if they are already set this way, then we may need to look deeper. try my patch - you should hear one amp from the left speaker and one amp from the right speaker.

Thank you very kindly for welcome Simeon. Thank you for advise as well! I had output level very high for jazz preset. I play with what you say, drive to five. I then decrease output level to reduce volume. I do not need the gate anymore and I think it sound fuller. Thank you for compliment my freind! I like delay and reverb lot on clean preset. Remind to me of Vildhjarta :D I am glad you like otherwise. Is not bad for first preset and limit experience with amplifier? And change you personal would make?

I have much to learn with noisegate. I find you preset very noisey. I read some people do not use gate! How is this achieve? Noise untolerate without gate. I understand negative affect have tone, but I think this compromise? Catch 22 like book, no? I hope I am misunderstanding. Understand I set preset around amp two block. Because amp one not work. I think I use too much gain compensate. I agree it too much. I am surprised by how much need for good metal sound. Far less than I think at first. Too much not sound nice. Can not hear all notes in cords. I fix this when amp one work.

Your preset have same problem with amp one. I understand I route the preset weird, that just experiment. I learn now, thank you Simeon! I think you correct about output stereo setting. I go global to output one and two. They just equalizer, no setting otherwise for stereo. I bypass amp one because it ugly sound with problem. I understand bypass setting now. I like enhancer very much in small setting. Too high and sound not good for my ears. Is my ears playing trick on me? It seem to me that widen still occur. I add the split at end of chain for phaser. My favourite effect! I like barberpole phaser on one. I add it now and bypass to mute, as you have instruct me :encouragement:. I just forget to do this. User cab is free ultra res include in update 13. I wrong think IR come with preset. In future, how am I to post both in forum? Thank you for such help my freind! I am most gracious to you :D

i hardly had any noise at all with your preset and when i put the drive on 5 in your jazz preset, the level was fine. if you are still having a problem with amp 1 in my updated preset, then you have a problem with your setup (or with the axe) that needs to be fixed. it sounds like your input level may be too high (making the noise) and are you using output 1 and 2? you should only use output 1 left and right! you should check your global settings. also...how are you listening to the axe? are you plugging into an audio interface attached to your computer? perhaps if you are, you are plugging into the xlr inputs, which are for microphones....if you are, this will cause you many problems. please tell us about your setup.

i will post a clip of your updated preset shortly, so you can hear what it sounds like to me and then you can compare

here - this is what kafir sounds like to me (using my tweaked patch and the recto cabs) - it will sound a bit brighter to you if you're using ultrares cabs

you'll notice each amp is on each side and there is no noise at all

Setup direct I think we call. Each monitor connect to left and right in output one. Instrument is plug into left input one. The computer is connect by USB to axe. Stereo work correct in all other experiment. It work on jazz preset. Everything is connect correct. All TRS into balance port. I can not put TRS into XLR. I ask again, what global setting are you refer to? There is no stereo in the global setting. There is equalizer, scale and few other setting. I do not understand this. I am convince of nothing wrong with axe due to still work fine on other preset. Also when I put jazz up to five, it very loud because I have output very high. I lower output and retain setting of five. More volume and better sound. This was misunderstanding, it is fine with your idea, no problem. On you update of metal preset, I turn gate up lots. Very noisey. I do not think it guitar. It very quiet on blues Jr, EMG are good for quiet, no?

here - this is what kafir sounds like to me (using my tweaked patch and the recto cabs) - it will sound a bit brighter to you if you're using ultrares cabs

you'll notice each amp is on each side and there is no noise at all

You clip very nice! Sound similar to what I am wanting. Just little too treble as you mention. I quite like of ultra res! I think it just setting as you mention

On you update of metal preset, I turn gate up lots. Very noisey. I do not think it guitar.
The noise is almost certainly caused by your guitar. Go to that noisy preset. Listen to the noise. Then unplug your guitar cable from the Axe-Fx input. Does the noise go away? If it goes away, then it's your guitar.

The noise is almost certainly caused by your guitar. Go to that noisy preset. Listen to the noise. Then unplug your guitar cable from the Axe-Fx input. Does the noise go away? If it goes away, then it's your guitar.

In fact, noise become much louder when unplugs. Very loud and squeal not with guitar. As said, I think it not guitar. EMG is very quiet. Telecaster much louder, single coil. Even on tube amp, EMG quiet. I am convinced of gear is fine. It is preset that is problem. I know not how other people not use gate. When lots gain, I need gate or too noisey. Is not guitar but preset, I am convince!

Louder unplugged from the Axe-Fx (not unplugged from the guitar)? With no guitar cable at all? If that's true, then something is not right.

This is my fault. I misunderstand and unplug cable from guitar. That is when very noisey. Unplug cable from axe, no noise at all.

That sounds exactly like guitar noise.

When I say about single coil and EMG, I mean my single coil is always very much noisey. EMG always quiet except on high gains preset. My understand is this normal. Gain make small sound amplifies much. Gain also compress, do the same. Gain very noisey. This is only time EMG makes any noise on my guitars. I own two with EMG, they both the same like this. Always quiet but for noisey gain. I do not believe anything is wrong with guitar. I have always been tell this is normal. I have post picture of setup now. I ask again, do anyone know where global stereo setting is? It have been mention here few times, but no tell where is location. I have still question from above post. Are there translation of axe manual? How do post user IR with preset? What is stereo problem?

Attachments

• 20140221_032654.jpg
    20140221_032654.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20140221_033044.jpg
    20140221_033044.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom