General FC question about daisy chaining...

stephenclark1

Experienced
I went from FM3 to AxeFXIII and instead of buying a FC-12 I'm thinking of picking up another second hand FC-6. I assume I can connect with with any short XLR cable since my actual Faslink goes from unit to first FC. I see there is no adapters available from FAS (and Faslink's are not in stock) anyone suggest any adapter over another?
I also haven't delved into the programming of this yet but right off the bat I'm not interested in "mirroring"...I assume it'll be easy to say have six "scenes" on one and the two remaining on the second unit, leaving me four switches for looper or whatever.

I went from FM3 to AxeFXIII and instead of buying a FC-12 I'm thinking of picking up another second hand FC-6. I assume I can connect with with any short XLR cable since my actual Faslink goes from unit to first FC. I see there is no adapters available from FAS (and Faslink's are not in stock) anyone suggest any adapter over another?
I also haven't delved into the programming of this yet but right off the bat I'm not interested in "mirroring"...I assume it'll be easy to say have six "scenes" on one and the two remaining on the second unit, leaving me four switches for looper or whatever.
use standard XLR cables to connect the FASlink ports. there are no "adaptors" needed, just the main connection, which is the XLR cable.

you need a power supply for the 2nd FC6.

use standard XLR cables to connect the FASlink ports. there are no "adaptors" needed, just the main connection, which is the XLR cable.

you need a power supply for the 2nd FC6.
I wrote adaptors while meaning power supply, I'm sure I have one laying around somewhere here.
I am not clear on your question. I assume you have an AxeFX III and an FC6 want want to chain a second?

You just need to chain from one FC6 to the other. See page 6 in the FC manual.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FC-X/FC6+12-Owners-Manual.pdf

BTW, no adapters are needed to use the FASLink (adapters were used in older Axe-Fx II and MFC-101).
I wrote adaptors while meaning power supply.

Yes, it is possible to use two daisy-chained FC-6 units as a virtual FC-12. You'll need to customize any switch that changes the layout so that it "knows" to switch both units at once. This is done using "Layout Links". You could also run the two units fully independently, recognizing that this cuts the effective use of the total number of layouts by half. A hybrid approach is even possible, as demonstrated in the example of the OMG9, where one unit acts as a master for the other.

Yes, it is possible to use two daisy-chained FC-6 units as a virtual FC-12. You'll need to customize any switch that changes the layout so that it "knows" to switch both units at once. This is done using "Layout Links". You could also run the two units fully independently, recognizing that this cuts the effective use of the total number of layouts by half. A hybrid approach is even possible, as demonstrated in the example of the OMG9, where one unit acts as a master for the other.
Thanks! As usual I'll fret and sweat, receive it, hook it all together and work it out and realize it wasn't that hard. I like the OMG9 option, I'll read up on it while I sit on the porch waiting for UPS to deliver the second FC-6. AGAIN, Thanks!

@Joe Bfstplk rocks the dual FC-6 setup with a pile of expression pedals and switches. He could probably give you some pointers on configuring everything.
Rocked, actually. The FM9 replaced an FC6 last fall. :) Still have plenty of experience to share with respect to running this setup, though. It gives a lot more options than a single FC12....

BTW, I was able to use one of the OneSpot 9V supplies from my old stompbox pedalboard for the 2nd FC6. Easy peasy!

You can try these layouts from my dual FC6 era on for size:
PRESETS
SCENES
PEDALS

IIRC, the PRESETS and SCENES were set up on one FC, and the PEDALS was set up full time on the other. Might be a nice starting point for you to tweak to perfection. Just be sure to back up the current set of layouts before loading these. :)

You can try these layouts from my dual FC6 era on for size:
PRESETS
SCENES
PEDALS

IIRC, the PRESETS and SCENES were set up on one FC, and the PEDALS was set up full time on the other. Might be a nice starting point for you to tweak to perfection. Just be sure to back up the current set of layouts before loading these. :)
It should arrive Friday, can't wait to delve into it. Going to have to redo my Temple board again. Right now I have one EV-1 I use for a master volume to my Mission Engineering Gemini II (FC Controller - Pedal One) and a second EV-1 I use for Wah (FC Controller - Pedal 2). I have (2) Mission TT2's (FC Switches 1+2 and 3+4) that I mainly use for Boost, Cut, Fat and Bright on amps.
Since I play at my desk I use Edit to choose a Preset so my goal is really to have Scenes 1-6 on my original FC-6 and on the second one have Scenes 7-8, and maybe Looper controls and tuner access on the other 4 switches. Might get two more TT2's connected to second FC-6 just to randomly assign to Effects controls, etc.
On top of that the wife bought me a Keeley Halo and D&M Drive (she loves That Pedal Show and didn't know all the Aurora, etc in III) so I've got the D&M just at the Instrument input and going to put Halo to the actual III just so not to hurt the feelings of someone who cares enough to buy you gear.
So many options I hope to find time to actually play the guitar.

You got a camera hiding in here somewhere? :D
So my second FC-6 came today...plugged into power supply, daisy chained it to my old one, turned on FXIII and bam it's showing exactly what I want it to show! Six Scenes on the first one, two scenes, record, play, erase, tuner on the second one. So it is basically showing what I would had to have pressed and hold my upper right button.
How lucky is that? Going to go into Edit and look at the setups and play around a little.

Back
Top Bottom