Genelec 8010a first impressions

drnat

Inspired
So, they arrived this afternoon.
Nice size & fit well on my work desk.
Feel really well made & have some weight/substance to them without being too heavy.
Like the feet with the ability to angle the speaker up.
The auto-turn off is a cute feature.
Only had 5 mins playing through them before taking my youngest for his riding lesson.
Initial impression is positive - sound good at low voLuke’s & will certainly be loud enough for me.
The cleans were gorgeous, clear with life in it. The distortion is much better than my K240 headphones - articulate, much less scratchy, cohesive and a bit warmer - really enjoyed. My lead tone was singing.
Need to have a proper go through them tonight, but excited to try them more, as I think they are going to solve my initial concerns re distorted tones.
Be interested to hear the difference when my new sennheiser HD 660s arrive over the weekend.
Thanks to @Admin M@ who was instrumental in me choosing them!

So, they arrived this afternoon.
Nice size & fit well on my work desk.
Feel really well made & have some weight/substance to them without being too heavy.
Like the feet with the ability to angle the speaker up.
The auto-turn off is a cute feature.
Only had 5 mins playing through them before taking my youngest for his riding lesson.
Initial impression is positive - sound good at low voLuke’s & will certainly be loud enough for me.
The cleans were gorgeous, clear with life in it. The distortion is much better than my K240 headphones - articulate, much less scratchy, cohesive and a bit warmer - really enjoyed. My lead tone was singing.
Need to have a proper go through them tonight, but excited to try them more, as I think they are going to solve my initial concerns re distorted tones.
Be interested to hear the difference when my new sennheiser HD 660s arrive over the weekend.
Thanks to @Admin M@ who was instrumental in me choosing them!

That's awesome! Glad you are enjoying them on the first run.

One thing I've learned with studio monitors is watch your hearing. I tended to play much too close to them, much too loudly, not realizing that such small speakers can get so loud. Had some hearing damage because of it. Now, I treat them like full on amp cabs. 15 feet away!

Have fun!

Sadly won’t be getting to very loud at all. Didn’t get chance to use them tonight, further testing tomorrow hopefully 🤞

I just opened and installed a pair of these from Sweetwater, and am very impressed indeed. My aged and abused ears demanded a downscaling of my speaker setup, and though these suckers can get loud, they are extraordinarily clear and satisfying at the low volume end, and combined with the new superpowers of my Cyngnified III , my tone is more inspired than ever.

a friend of mine has a pair of these in his little studio and they've impressed me every time i've heard them. just listening to music while chilling, they seem to have an uncanny ability to fill the whole room and sound much, much bigger than you would expect. very three dimensional.

I've been using the 8010A for the last 6 years. They replaced a couple of Mackie HR824 MK1 because they were too big for my new mini-room. The 8010A are ideal for listening from just 1 meter away. There is no need to play them loud.

I have a NanoPatch volume control between the Axe-FX III ouptut and the monitors

8010A.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome! Glad you are enjoying them on the first run.

One thing I've learned with studio monitors is watch your hearing. I tended to play much too close to them, much too loudly, not realizing that such small speakers can get so loud. Had some hearing damage because of it. Now, I treat them like full on amp cabs. 15 feet away!

Have fun!
Sorry for the laugh reaction....

But, that was kinda funny. What kind of levels are you listening at (phone SPLs are fine)?

IDK....I can't really imagine listening to little nearfields from 15' away. In order to get anything like a correct stereo setup, that would be a pretty big room, and I just don't see those speakers filling it right. IDK...maybe I'm wrong. But moving from small nearfields to bigger midfields was, IMHO, worth doing for me....and it's actually not really louder in here....they just handle it better.

Sorry for the laugh reaction....

But, that was kinda funny. What kind of levels are you listening at (phone SPLs are fine)?

IDK....I can't really imagine listening to little nearfields from 15' away. In order to get anything like a correct stereo setup, that would be a pretty big room, and I just don't see those speakers filling it right. IDK...maybe I'm wrong. But moving from small nearfields to bigger midfields was, IMHO, worth doing for me....and it's actually not really louder in here....they just handle it better.

Ha, ha, no worries!!

I tend to dial in tones at a good volume to emulate what others would hear in a band type situation. We have drums in my studio/basement and my son and I jam, so my studio monitors can get quite loud. When 'i do mixing or if I'm just noodling around, I drop the volume, but generally when I am playing to backing tracks or to my own stuff, the whole house can hear it.

The micro’s? The thing that made me think about them was the added bluetooth, but the quality of the Genelecs won me over
Were yours the iLoud Micro or MTM?

I'm reasonably sure neither would live up to the small genelecs, but I have heard good things about the latter.

I managed to snag a set of these off of Reverb today for a good price! I'm excited to see what they sound like. I've got my Axe configured to play backing tracks from out 2 from one set of monitors and then my guitar will be going through out 1 to the 8010's.

OP -- how are these working for you after the honeymoon period? Still running without a sub, or did you find you needed more bass ultimately?

Back
Top Bottom