Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Both names are kinda bad

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t care

Votes: 39 54.9%

• Total voters

Rane

Experienced
I don’t know how to feel about this one. I’ve visited the Gearslutz forum on and off for over a decade now. The name always made me cringe a little, but it’s so weird seeing it changed. Gearspace doesn’t seem to have much of a ring to it either... has too much MySpace in it.

Oh well. It’s better than what they did to HarmonyCentral. RIP.

I’ll admit it was awkward to have it come up on my browser history at work.....

Haha, I hadn't thought about the work PC issue. :tearsofjoy:

Anytime I've referenced that forum to any of my musician friends, I've always prayed they were already aware of what I was talking about... "you were on what forum, now?" lol

Also, since they're fixing things, it's about time they hired a proper UI designer. That site's always been hideous.

It should have stayed the same, precisely because PC is out-of-control.

I'm not so much talking about politics, but culture. It literally isn't safe to be a standup comedian touring college campuses any more. Outside the campus "safe zones" there is a little more freedom, but there's constantly the threat of someone posting a clip to Facebook that collapses your career. Pushback is required, and that requires riskiness, boldness.

As for the new name: It's bland, homogenized, committee-approved, corporate. You can tell lawyers consulted marketers about it. It's exactly the kind of culture -- beige walls, white bread thinly spread with mayonnaise, nothing but golf on the tele -- that we'll be left with, in every nook and cranny of life, if people don't take opportunities to push back against "The Man."

And, yes, for the purposes of current culture, the censorious, Kafka-esque PC crowd are very much "The Man." The details of their ideological rigidity and pasteurized conformity vary from those expressed in the Salem witch trials, but that same spirit is very much alive in them. Music (especially rock and jazz music with their mix of recognizable structure and improvisational creativity, of honed technique and balls-to-the-wall gutsiness), exists in part to express ideas that supersede and pole-vault over the boundaries established by the Thought Police.

Look, it's just one website name. I get that.

But I think it would have been better if it had remained slightly tacky, slightly off-color: A small sign of restless nonconformity.

Without that...what? I guess someone else will have to show bold nonconformity, on some other occasion. And they'll be that much less likely to be bold, because of all the other folks before now, who weren't.

Last edited:

I'm not so much talking about politics, but culture. It literally isn't safe to be a standup comedian touring college campuses any more. Outside the campus "safe zones" there is a little more freedom, but there's constantly the threat of someone posting a clip to Facebook that collapses your career. Pushback is required, and that requires riskiness, boldness.

As for the new name: It's bland, homogenized, committee-approved, corporate. You can tell lawyers consulted marketers about it. It's exactly the kind of culture -- beige walls, white bread thinly spread with mayonnaise, nothing but golf on the tele -- that we'll be left with, in every nook and cranny of life, if people don't take opportunities to push back against "The Man."

And, yes, for the purposes of current culture, the censorious, Kafka-esque PC crowd are very much "The Man." The details of their ideological rigidity and pasteurized conformity vary from those of the Salem witch trials, but that spirit is very much alive in them. Music, and especially rock music, exists in part to express ideas outside the boundaries established by the Thought Police.
ya ok - but it's still an idiotic name

And, yes, for the purposes of current culture, the censorious, Kafka-esque PC crowd are very much "The Man." The details of their ideological rigidity and pasteurized conformity vary from those expressed in the Salem witch trials, but that same spirit is very much alive in them. Music (especially rock and jazz music with their mix of recognizable structure and improvisational creativity, of honed technique and balls-to-the-wall gutsiness), exists in part to express ideas that supersede and pole-vault over the boundaries established by the Thought Police.

Look, it's just one website name. I get that.

But I think it would have been better if it had remained slightly tacky, slightly off-color: A small sign of restless nonconformity.

Without that...what? I guess someone else will have to show bold nonconformity, on some other occasion. And they'll be that much less likely to be bold, because of all the other folks before now, who weren't.

Totally agree

Back
Top Bottom