Gear Satisfaction

aleclee

Power User
A recent thread about "amp in the room" got me thinking (uh oh!) about gear satisfaction. About five years ago, after a half decade or so of flipping amps, I realized that one big problem in many tone quests was that chasing studio sounds. It then occurred to me that I wasn't going to nail those sounds with an amp in the room. Fast forward a few years and it seems the biggest gripe about the AxeFx's sound is its lack of "amp in the room" tone.

I suppose as the saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I have that same story... This is true but you have to look at it from both camps. Most that are chasing a studio sound my self included need to understand that a lot of other things are usually baked in to that sound post recording. The gigging camp is not really looking for that sound rather looking to get a really good live tone instead. I understand that now but didn't back then as I never really understood all the EQ tricks that went on in the recording studio. With the Axe I believe you can have it both ways now to a degree, no not 100% just yet but getting a lot closer it seems speaking purely for an amp and cab sim standpoint.

I have never been more satisfied with one pice of guitar gear ever, as I can finally get a lot of the sounds that have haunted me for years with very little effort.

in my experience amp in the room and axe-fx means using a good farfield IRs or possibly a setup with a guitar cab.

the AxeFx does that really well IMO.

When emulating recorded tones I suspect the problem is probably to emulate the layers of compression applied during both mixing and mastering the recorded track. I also suspect that playing through a rig that sounds like that probably feels horrible.

Jens

Back
Top Bottom