Gear Dead - To Replace or not, that is the question

slinky005

Power User
For stage my Axe will be going into my JVM power section into a 1936 cab.
I had been planning on using my Mackie Thump 12 monitor as well as the Marshall onstage (to avoid the "turn down your amp" from the FOH).

The tweeter on the Mackie just died on me.
I can not afford a CLR (and getting it to Canada adds even more to the cost).
Not sure if it was high volume or what but I'm hesitant to pay X amount to get it fixed.
It went pretty much from working to not working at all.
My confidence the product is obviously now very low.

I'm wonder how best to use my limited cash to either:
- Replace the unit
- Buy something comparable (but better quality?)
- Buy a power amp and ditch the monitor altogether

My cash is tight and I'm really not sure what route to take.

How old was the monitor and how much use did it see? You can likely get the part direct and replace it yourself as it's only two wires.

Might consider checking out the "Mitchell doughnut" mod on your 2x12 cab. This inexpensive and easily reversible mod will improve the dispersion of HF energy, removing the "ice-picky" beam and letting you hear your cab better, as you move around the stage.

Speaker Directivity Modifier :: TGP Webzine

Princeton Reverb II; loudspeaker treble-beaming problem; foam donut to reduce high-frequency beaming

attachment.php

or if you need a "high end solution", get one or two of these:

Deeflexx | Hoovi

not only kills the beaming effect, you'll hear your guitar at the sweet spot position everywhere! I use this on my 2x12 custom audio cabinet and on the Matrix Q12a - this is the missing link to all stage problems! ;) It's a bit pricey, but it's worth every cent! :)

Replace.....cost about 35$ or so, use Mackie Part Number #2039987 (works for TH12A and TH15A)

Hey Paco,

I'm looking into replacing myself.
Not handiest guy in town but this seems relatively straightforward.
Contacted Mackie, $75 from their supplier - not the end of the world. Waiting to decide if I will purchase.
My issue is that I took out every screw in the thing (other than the back panel with the electronics) and the top part pries apart but the bottom is like crazy glued together.
Went at it with the back end of a hammer prying for a bit but the thing is not budging.
Even took out the woofer to see if any screws were behind it but no luck.
I know it's a long shot but if you have ever had any experience with these and have a solution pls let me know.

Might consider checking out the "Mitchell doughnut" mod on your 2x12 cab. This inexpensive and easily reversible mod will improve the dispersion of HF energy, removing the "ice-picky" beam and letting you hear your cab better, as you move around the stage.

Speaker Directivity Modifier :: TGP Webzine

Princeton Reverb II; loudspeaker treble-beaming problem; foam donut to reduce high-frequency beaming

View attachment 27246

Interesting idea but I can just cut the highs on the Axe since I'm sending a different feed to the FOH.

It's not about "cutting the highs." It's about causing the high frequency content to be dispersed more evenly in a broad, wider-angle spray, instead of in a tight beam right in front of the 12 inch driver. You'll hear more HF content when you are off-axis, and your audience won't get drilled with an Ice-picky laser beam.

--
"The quality remains long after the price is forgotten." -- Sir Henry Royce

It's not about "cutting the highs." It's about causing the high frequency content to be dispersed more evenly in a broad, wider-angle spray, instead of in a tight beam right in front of the 12 inch driver. You'll hear more HF content when you are off-axis, and your audience won't get drilled with an Ice-picky laser beam.

--
"The quality remains long after the price is forgotten." -- Sir Henry Royce

Definitely something I may consider. Never heard of it before this forum.

I use it for my Q12a or custom audio guitar cabinet - it's by far the best thing I ever used to get rid of the beam and get the sweet spot tone at any direction and any place before and behind the speaker....

Mackie customer support is awesome and allot of the speakers have a pretty long warranty, I would send an email to their customer support. One time I had a bad speaker and had it for I think 3 years , they sent me a whole new replacement and I sent back the bad one. No money spent!

Mackie customer support is awesome and allot of the speakers have a pretty long warranty, I would send an email to their customer support. One time I had a bad speaker and had it for I think 3 years , they sent me a whole new replacement and I sent back the bad one. No money spent!

Good to know.
Just checked the warranty - it's only a year for the Thump.

Back
Top Bottom