GCP and IA switches

cob666

Inspired
I got a Voodoo Lab GCP and have a question regarding the IA switches. I set the mode to 4/bank so I have the use of the 8 IA switches.

I have a few patches that I would like to control the effects, some are on by default and some are off. If I set the global bypass in the IO menu then I don't have to worry about setting the bypass mode in each patch, are there any downsides to setting up the IA switches this way?

One thing that's got me pulling the hair out of my head is if I set the IA switch to normal then the effect bypass mode sets to how the patch was saved regardless of the IA switch. If the effect is on and the switch is off then I have to step on the switch twice to turn the effect off, however if I set the the IA switch to XMIT then the effect is ALWAYS turned off when I navigate to that patch (but at least the effect and the switch are in agreement).

How are other GCP users dealing with this?

Pretty much how I deal with it. You can store the preset with the effects in the on state you just don't see it on the GCP when you switch to that preset.

Along these same lines, I just picked up an All Access board, and am wondering a similar question, from another angle:

I've set up the All Access (AA) so that Banks 1-5 are presets patches 1-5 on the Axe FX. These will be amp/cab, and possibly some effects, in each patch, going from clean to crunchy to nasty.
Banks 6 through 15 are IA's to control individual effects.
I've got everything controlling the AxeFX okay, finally, but I'm wondering if there's a way to have the indivdual effects light up that are enabled, on the AA board, when I switch to one of the AxeFX presets. For instance, Switch 1 turn on Preset 1, which will be a clean amp and speaker cab, and maybe some reverb and delay. When I switch to this preset, the reverb and delay (which are IA's 10 and 13, in my case) do not light up; they are still "on" in the patch, but the pedal doesn't reflect their state, unless I turn them off, then back on, again. Is this just the nature of the beast, or is there a further programming step that I'm overlooking?
My heads spinning from all the new midi language I'm learning.... :?

api4u said:
Along these same lines, I just picked up an All Access board, and am wondering a similar question, from another angle:

I've set up the All Access (AA) so that Banks 1-5 are presets patches 1-5 on the Axe FX. These will be amp/cab, and possibly some effects, in each patch, going from clean to crunchy to nasty.
Banks 6 through 15 are IA's to control individual effects.
I've got everything controlling the AxeFX okay, finally, but I'm wondering if there's a way to have the indivdual effects light up that are enabled, on the AA board, when I switch to one of the AxeFX presets. For instance, Switch 1 turn on Preset 1, which will be a clean amp and speaker cab, and maybe some reverb and delay. When I switch to this preset, the reverb and delay (which are IA's 10 and 13, in my case) do not light up; they are still "on" in the patch, but the pedal doesn't reflect their state, unless I turn them off, then back on, again. Is this just the nature of the beast, or is there a further programming step that I'm overlooking?
My heads spinning from all the new midi language I'm learning.... :?

There is a problem in your setup on the All Access. The program you created has the delay and reverb on by default, you bring up the program with the AA, delay and reverb is still on, board lights are off for those IA’s. What should happen with what you described, when you bring up the program it should be putting your delay and reverb in a bypass state.

Example: (this is on the All Access) and based on your program on the Axe Fx. Hit your preset on the AA and for this preset you want just the reverb on so in your case you would hit IA 10 and it will light, leave 13 off save the configuration for that preset. Now when you hit that preset it will tell the Axe what program to load and it will also send the current IA status that was saved to the All Access board, in the example we just turned on switch 10 (reverb)since we left off 13 (delay) it will tell the Axe to bypass this effect.
Important: Check out page 16 in the manual (Instant access switch operating status) and set to global I think this might be the problem.
John

6L6C,
Thanks, you just saved me a ton of headaches - I was WAY over-thinking it.... :oops: It's a piece of cake, now. :lol:
I really appreciate the help.
Steve

cob666 said:
One thing that's got me pulling the hair out of my head is if I set the IA switch to normal then the effect bypass mode sets to how the patch was saved regardless of the IA switch. If the effect is on and the switch is off then I have to step on the switch twice to turn the effect off, however if I set the the IA switch to XMIT then the effect is ALWAYS turned off when I navigate to that patch (but at least the effect and the switch are in agreement).

cob666,
Sorry to derail your inquiry - it sounded like we were looking for the same thing from different angles. Does 6L6c's answer help you with your question?

With the GCP, if the IA is set to XMIT then the effect will be bypassed as he stated but if the IA is set to normal then then the effect will be on and the IA LED will be off. After playing with the GCP more over the weekend I'm finding that it isn't as much of an issue as I originally thought it would be.

Thanks.

I haven't messed the AxeFX' new firmware "initial value" feature, I think it only affects when your footswitch isn't connected? Not sure, but I do know that if you have a modifier/IA assigned to a block's bypass parameter in the patch then you can't bypass/engage that block on the Axe itself. Not sure how it affects the CC's in the I/O menu, I never use them.

api4u said:
6L6C,
Thanks, you just saved me a ton of headaches - I was WAY over-thinking it.... :oops: It's a piece of cake, now. :lol:
I really appreciate the help.
Steve
No problem Steve! Glad I could help

John

Back
Top Bottom