Gator Rolling Rack with built-in Power! - Anyone?

JRod4928

Power User
Has anyone ever used one of these? Opinions? I found a good local deal and want to see if there are any huge issues, especially regarding the power strip.

18232M-Large.jpg

i have used one of those. i think there's only 4 or 5 plugs, which seemed like not enough. otherwise it's a power strip built into the case. i don't think it has any "Furman qualities" to it. i had no issues with it when i used it to power my ultra, tc g-system, mesa roadster and JBL EON 15 G2 at the time.

i have used one of those. i think there's only 4 or 5 plugs, which seemed like not enough. otherwise it's a power strip built into the case. i don't think it has any "Furman qualities" to it. i had no issues with it when i used it to power my ultra, tc g-system, mesa roadster and JBL EON 15 G2 at the time.

What are the 'furman qualities'? At this point, I'm just looking for surge protection.

The unit I'm looking at is too big for me (8 units or something), but I suppose I could put a tuner and drawers in there or something. its too good of a deal to pass up.

cool thanks Chris - always helpful!

Not sure how much of that I need to be honest, but I see where it'd be helpful at bars with neon lights, etc. At this price, if nothing else, I'm getting a great case and a power strip that I can plug into the Furman, all at a ridiculous price, lol.

I've owned one of these. I actually purchased it from the classified section of this forum. It was the 4U version. I purchased it thinking I was going the axe fx + matrix gt fx route but then sold it when I decided that using the CLR was more convenient for me. The case didn't give me any problems though. It was just too bulky for me. The power strip was pretty cool since I can have a bunch of stuff plugged in like when I'm on a gig and need to charge my phone LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it does seem like it could be bulky. A 4 or 6 unit would be fine, but I think I'm going to find that this one is too big (the one for sale is like 8 unit or maybe even 10)

Do you guys know if the power strip is removable and can be installed in other gator racks?

Last edited:
Oh I remembered something.

On SKB racks, the locks are on the cover. If you take off the cover the stand the case on the side or slide it around, there are no lose/mechanical parts flopping around on the case to get bent.

On this line of Gator racks, the locks are on the case. If you stand the case on its side or slide it into a small space, you can damage or bend the locks and then you can't close the case.

Other lines of gator cases have locks on covers, but be careful with this one.

EDIT - power is not removable, at least not intended to be.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the 6U version and found this on the Sweetwater site during my research. . . .

A built-in power distribution center provides 5 power sources, 15 amp push to reset circuit breaker, and front panel on/off control with pilot light. In addition, it has surge protection to keep your gear safe against power spikes!

If that's accurate at least surge suppression is covered, which is likely enough protection for my needs.

Terry.

Ya should have took the amp out!!!!!!!!!!! I will sell you a good one when I get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it is a little smaller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ut o I hope the joke is not on me!!!!!!

Oh I remembered something.

On SKB racks, the locks are on the cover. If you take off the cover the stand the case on the side or slide it around, there are no lose/mechanical parts flopping around on the case to get bent.

On this line of Gator racks, the locks are on the case. If you stand the case on its side or slide it into a small space, you can damage or bend the locks and then you can't close the case.

Other lines of gator cases have locks on covers, but be careful with this one.

EDIT - power is not removable, at least not intended to be.
I used to have my old triaxis rig in a rack with the latches on the rack. Besides getting caught on everything. They rattled loudly while playing when the rack was atop my speaker cab. Pretty irritating. Not sure if the gator latches suffer from this, but I went with an skb rack for exactly this reason.

Ya should have took the amp out!!!!!!!!!!! I will sell you a good one when I get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it is a little smaller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ut o I hope the joke is not on me!!!!!!

Haha no not at all man, I honestly don't need an 8 unit rack, 4 is probably all I need. The only reason I'm interested in this local deal is because of the price. no worries man, I'm not trying to swindle anyone

Haha no not at all man, I honestly don't need an 8 unit rack, 4 is probably all I need. The only reason I'm interested in this local deal is because of the price. no worries man, I'm not trying to swindle anyone

I was hopeing not, no worries! you must be a gear swapaholic I got a buddy that buys swaps trades all the time. i'm one of those hoarders once I buy it It don't leave till its broke. no joke just ask my wife.

Back
Top Bottom