Gator GK-2110 fits like a glove

Have my AX8 on the way. Thanks for the tip. That is very affordable and I like the shoulder strap feature and the side storage compartment for cables. $40 is a great deal.
How is the padding in your opinion? The reviews say decent but it doesn't look like much? Is there room to add some padding for protection or do you feel it is fine as is? Did you by chance look at any hard case options that were portable friendly? Are there any as far as you know?

How is the padding in your opinion? The reviews say decent but it doesn't look like much?
So-so. I used to keep a Rocktron MIDI pedal in this bag and survived gigging. It's like what? A $30 bag? Adjust expectations accordingly. It's better padded than a PedalTrain soft bag but it's not like a nice Mono case.

Is there room to add some padding for protection or do you feel it is fine as is?
Not much room in there for anything else.

Did you by chance look at any hard case options that were portable friendly? Are there any as far as you know?
I snapped this picture because I had this bag on hand. It actually holds a small pedalboard I built for the bass player in my band. I've been touting my AX8 around in my PedalTrain soft bag from my MFC-101 setup, which has less padding than that Gator, but will probably buy a Gator for it now. For $30 it's a nice bag that fits perfectly.

I say this every chance I get. I think more people should be looking at this bag. Amazon product ASIN B003N1900O
It is 24x12 and is designed for mixers. It is well padded too. It has been discontinued but I still see plenty online. I use it for my Mfc pedal board which hold an ev1 and mini exp knob

Looks nice, but...

Interior Width
11.25 in
28.58 cm

vs EV-1 11.56 in (291mm)

Do you think this extra 5mm would squeeze in (are you able to measure it)?

@senjin I'd bet good money the foam would be soft enough to get the EV1 in there. 5mm isn't much to ask for foam to give.

Has anyone tried this backpack?

soft-case-original-novation-carry-case-25-D_NQ_NP_992077-MLB26460378402_112017-F.jpg

I saw this video where a Line 6 Helix fits perfectly. I was wondering if the AX8 would fit nicely with room for the expression pedal.

I decided that I want to carry the AX8 with me everywhere I go and this looks like a comfortable solution.

@senjin I'd bet good money the foam would be soft enough to get the EV1 in there. 5mm isn't much to ask for foam to give.
@senjin
One would think so, but... I have the SBK 2316. This old pic is a little messy, but it shows I have to flip one of the Moog EP-3 pedals for it to fit. The padding on the sides are really firm, not squishy at all. I tried to get it to dent in a little. I only need about a quarter of a centimeter. It's very tough and just goes back to its original form. Maybe I'll try a vice.
SBK2316.jpg

Last edited:
That SKB 2111 - that looks more rigid than the Gator. Is that correct? I just ordered one. I have something like the Gator now and it's very floppy and makes me crazy. It has served me well, though. And the MFC before that. Time to move on.

That SKB 2111 - that looks more rigid than the Gator. Is that correct? I just ordered one. I have something like the Gator now and it's very floppy and makes me crazy. It has served me well, though. And the MFC before that. Time to move on.
I think I'm using the 2111. Not sure about the number but looks like mine in the pic. It seems very sturdy and fits all my stuff (i don't use an expression pedal tho). By no means takes a beating like a flight case, but I travel on foot a lot and it's perfect for that.

I also have the Gator bag and it works great for my needs - AX8 & one Mission pedal in the main compartment, cords and and FS-6 etc in the accessory compartment. I put the Mission in sideways so the rubber tread faces the AX8 to prevent possible scratching.

The padding is decent... definitely better than just a nylon bag. The cables and etc in the top compartment also add some protection to the top. The SKB does look a bit sturdier, at least in the pictures, and may be worth the $30 more. Certainly not a flight case, but I'm good w/ the Gator bag for local gigs where I have room in my car so it doesn't get slammed or crushed.

The Gator they sent me was a nice piece of gear, just too similar to what I've used for ages. I think I'll be happier with the SKB. BTW, Sweetwater did not show that SKB on their site, but my sales guy said they order them and get them quickly. No ETA yet, but as usual, they made the exchange nice and easy. And did not get me for return shipping, since the sales guy said the Gator was rigid and talked me into that instead of the SKB,

They did show some similar SKBs that some may prefer. I think they nmight be larger, did not check closely. The 2111 is enough for me. I like compact if I can get by with it.

ha ha been pondering this one. Copied the product code....and I've got TWO of them downstairs! Had GT100 and HD500X did,'t hink it would fit. I'll in the morning cheers mate

Just ordered the Gator! Thanks for the suggestion. I have been using an old backpack and even though it fits, it's pretty tight and I can't really put too much stuff in there ( 1/4 in and xlr cables, power cord, etc.)

I was actually going to check out a small carry on I had hanging around. Maybe some foam inside .ill be able to carry everything I need . Than my qsc 10, 2 small packs ,one big sound:)

I’ve been using the Gator Utility bag for years and it fits my AX8 great with space for a controller pedal. Loved it a much I bought another to use for cables and other gig stuff. The price is right too!!

Back
Top Bottom