Gator Case Mod

Johan Allard

Power User
One of my aims is to keep everything as small and as light as possible.

To keep my Axe Fx 2 safe, I have bought a Gator rack case, specifically the Gator Gr-2s (http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29201-1639/gr-2s). Accordning to the specs, it's not quite supposed to fit the Axe Fx 2 but as reported by a few people it does. But only just.

When investigating stands, there has been a few suggestions to use a guitar stand in reverse so to speak. The problem with the Gator Gr-2s is that it's just a little bit to short. If you look at these pictures you can see that the back of the Axe Fx sticks out just a couple of centimeters, or about an inch. This is not really a problem if you place it on a desk or similar, but if you're planning to place it standing on its back, this is obviously not very good.

IMG_2362_zps76b1725e.jpg

IMG_2363_zpsdd2c28cd.jpg

Since I'm not flying or doing any other sort of really dangerous things with my equipment, I figured that the best cause of action was actually to cut some holes in the back of the case. Just enough so that I can insert the cables but not enough so that it causes any problems.

Live, I'm only planning to use the power, MFC Ethercon, Output 1 Balanced (FOH) and Output 2 Unbalanced (personal monitor). So that's 4 holes all in all. Here is the back of the Axe Fx. I'll probably going to run it all mono but wanted to have the option of connecting two cables in either output.

IMG_2361_zps08d506ed.jpg

To make the holes, I taped masking tape across the back of the case and drew on the tape where the holes needed to go. Here is the drawing on the masked tape of the holes I need.

IMG_2364_zps36a01557.jpg

A couple of drilled holes and some work with my trusted Dremel and here's the finished holes. The drawing of the holes above is actually upside down if you're looking carefully.

IMG_2365_zpsfa8cc1de.jpg

Here's the back attached to the rest of the Gator case. The holes actually line up a lot better than what's apparent in this picture.

IMG_2366_zps7348d7db.jpg

Here with the cables through the holes.

IMG_2367_zpsb78165c5.jpg

Here you can see the bottom of the case on the underside while it's being placed on the guitar stand. As you can see the cables sticks out nicely at the bottom, and plenty of space for the stand to be placed around the holes I made.

IMG_2372_zps92ea2714.jpg

And here are a couple of pictures of the stand from above. Overall it's very stable and I think this is going to work very well. Easy enough to reach the front panel. Low enough to feel safe that even if it should fall over.

IMG_2373_zpsf5aa61bc.jpg

IMG_2374_zps212096ea.jpg

I thought about that operation too. But there's a lot of space in the skb rackcase, so it's kinda unnecessary. Maybe just 1 small hole to the different cables.

Tidier... but ventilation is something I always consider. Not such an issue when it's not in a big rack with lots of other kit contributing to the heat, but air flow makes a difference. Prolonged build up heat is not great for computers

Tidier... but ventilation is something I always consider. Not such an issue when it's not in a big rack with lots of other kit contributing to the heat, but air flow makes a difference. Prolonged build up heat is not great for computers

Hadn't thought about ventilation. Interesting. I'll have a listen for increased fan noise (if the fan spins more than usual) at our next rehearsal to see if it runs hotter than usual.

Axe-FX2 and Heat

HI All,
I am new to the Forum as I just made the jump into the Axe-2 from playing pedals for many years. Anyway's quick question on cases. I just purchased a Gator GRB-2U soft covered rack case because I also wanted to keep space to a minimum. My question is around Ventilation and Heat. Should I be worried as is there any concerns with the axe FX 2 being enclosed within a 2U case? Of course the back and front will be open but when I look at the FX case it has vent holes on sides not the back. I do plan on gigging with the FX-2 so I want to be cautious. Thanx in advance for any thoughts.

HI All,
I am new to the Forum as I just made the jump into the Axe-2 from playing pedals for many years. Anyway's quick question on cases. I just purchased a Gator GRB-2U soft covered rack case because I also wanted to keep space to a minimum. My question is around Ventilation and Heat. Should I be worried as is there any concerns with the axe FX 2 being enclosed within a 2U case? Of course the back and front will be open but when I look at the FX case it has vent holes on sides not the back. I do plan on gigging with the FX-2 so I want to be cautious. Thanx in advance for any thoughts.

Exactly what Cover'd said - the Axe runs really cool ( I think Cliff runs a refrigerant around the tubes), and i've never had any issue at all with it overheating, even playing outdoor gigs in sweltering heat.

This mod is only for the shallow GR-2S as opposed to the standard GR-2L, and only if you want to place it leaning on its back like I want to. It's obviously easy to find larger cases that can do this - the GR-2L or other manufacturers but I'm still happy with this as it's still probably the smallest possible case. Although ideally Gator should make a new series GR-2-AF2 (and GR-3-AF2, GR-4-AF2) which would be just over an inch deeper to completely, but only just, cover the Axe Fx II.

Or, on the topic of wishing for new products, Gator should make a modified rolling case with a built-in stand that would replace the guitar stand in my pictures above, and with a separate storage compartment for the MFC and a couple of Mission pedals :)

Cliff has stated many times that the Axe doesn't need external ventilation. The newer ones have ventilation holes to placate people, but the unit doesn't need them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hadn't thought about ventilation. Interesting. I'll have a listen for increased fan noise (if the fan spins more than usual) at our next rehearsal to see if it runs hotter than usual.
You won't hear any change in fan noise. The fan rotates at a constant speed and doesn't exchange air with the outside.

You won't hear any change in fan noise. The fan rotates at a constant speed and doesn't exchange air with the outside.

Well, given the recent posts in this thread, I'm no longer concerned about the Axe overheating, regardless of me covering up most of the back.

Sounds a bit weird though, most modern electronics these days has changing fan speed to deal with changing temperature.

Cliff has stated many times that the Axe doesn't need external ventilation. The newer ones have ventilation holes to placate people, but the unit doesn't need them.

Ok... Does it need "internal" ventilation then? If the internal fan (and Im assuming mine has one) kicks on and it can't get air into it (because of case block) to cool off the trons, then the unit cant cool off "internally". :? The changing fan speeds inside means that an internal themistor senses the unit is getting hotter than normally should and thus kicks in a faster fan rpm, for a reason. It was "designed" to do this, to keep the unit running at a specific "range" of operating temps. It doesn't matter if the unit can stand the hotter temps at the time. The bottom line is, keeping electronics as cool as possible while in operation means (in general terms) they will tend to need less servicing on them in the future. Im backing this flat statement up with 38 years of electronics background in repairs, not design... :D Id add vent holes... As always YMMV....

Last edited:
Well, given the recent posts in this thread, I'm no longer concerned about the Axe overheating, regardless of me covering up most of the back.
I'm not privy to the Axe's thermal design, but its cooling has to be based on conduction or radiation of heat through its case, and I don't know whether enclosing the Axe compromises its cooling enough to make a difference. Only Fractal could give you the real story there. I'm pretty sure there's a decent safety margin built into the design.

Sounds a bit weird though, most modern electronics these days has changing fan speed to deal with changing temperature.
I get what you're saying. But I can see the sense it just running the fan full bore and letting it go at that. One less control point to fail.

If the internal fan (and Im assuming mine has one) kicks on and it can't get air into it (because of case block) to cool off the trons, then the unit cant cool off "internally". :?
The fan doesn't draw air into the case or expel air out. Its only purpose is to dissipate heat from the really hot CPU into the slightly warm air enclosed in the case. Conduction through the case transfers that heat to the outside world. As Cliff has said, you blow on your soup to cool it off; you don't need to open the window for that to work. :)

The changing fan speeds inside means that an internal themistor senses the unit is getting hotter than normally should and thus kicks in a faster fan rpm, for a reason. It was "designed" to do this, to keep the unit running at a specific "range" of operating temps.
The Axe's fan runs at constant speed. At least mine does.

The bottom line is, keeping electronics as cool as possible while in operation means (in general terms) they will tend to need less servicing on them in the future.
100% true.

Back
Top Bottom