Gate opens and looping feedback issue when no guitar connected

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I have had 2 issues with my Axe-Fx II recently.

1. The layout noise gate will open from loud noises like drums or bass when no cables are plugged into inputs. I first noticed the issue when I had my Axe-Fx II on one of my presets with lots of delay and flange. I thought it sounded cool bc it made a cool sound FX to the drums but I thought it was bc my guitar was close to the drum kit and bleeding through the pickups until I realized I hadn't even connected my guitar cable to the input yet. I haven't tested this with the Gate block yet, only the layout gate.

2. I sometimes get a looping feedback that won't stop even if i disconnect my guitar cable from the input and the only way to stop it is to change presets.

Anyone else having the same issues or can someone test to see if they have the issues? It happens on most presets including factory presets.

Are you using input 2/fx loop at all?

What input 1 are you using? Front, rear? You say nothing is plugged into any inputs when these issues occur?

I always use the front input and nothing is connected to the back inputs. Output 1 XLR L&R are connected to my Mackie TH-15A powered cabs and Output 2 L is connected to my Carvin DI Box that goes to FOH PA. I'm not in front of my Axe-FX II but I think the input is set to 30 and the layout gate is set to -60.

Factory Preset 363 FilteRing Funk was one of the presets that caused never ending feedback even when my guitar cable wasn't connected.

I'm using FW 15.03 bc I haven't had time to upgrade due to shows but I was having the issues w/ FW 14 too. I reset everything before upgrading to FW 15.03 and then reset everything after and then reinstalled the factory presets and recreated my presets.

Some cables can be noisy in and of themselves. Give the feedback loop something to work with, and if it's on the hairy edge it can run away. I remember about 100 years ago my Echoplex used to be capable of that.

Isn't this the microphonics issue?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...e-some-tubes-there-my-axe-ii-microphonic.html

I don't have this issue b/c I'm plugging into a different pre and going either spdif or usb into the axe and I guess my pre isn't nearly as microphonic as the Axe is with the analog inputs.

That's it! So I'm not the only one. I was hoping I had the custom special microphonic edition haha ;-) I didn't read the whole thread so hopefully there's a resolution.

I didn't ever find a solution. This issue has plagued me since I've used my Axe live. Is the Axe fairly close to a monitor? Are you running very high gain?

I didn't ever find a solution. This issue has plagued me since I've used my Axe live. Is the Axe fairly close to a monitor? Are you running very high gain?

It's on top of an Eden D410XST cab that's being fed by a 5 string bass tuned to ADADG, so my Axe-Fx II is experiencing the Amp in the room sound. The snare drum also opens the gate if the threshold is less than -60.

Back
Top Bottom