Wish Gate in Drive block

Mouzart

Drives can create cool tones, but can also generate a lot of noise. In presets where the drive is kicked in for a solo and gain boost the noise can obviously be controlled by a separate noise gate. The same noise gate will however kill the ability to roll off the volume of the guitar when the drive is bypassed. Of course scenes can toggle both the drive and the gate blocks, but for those of us who are using drive blocks as stomps an integrated gate in the drive block will be perfect!

Cool idea, but between the drive block now having an eq, it’s own IR player (requested), and it’s own gate, I don’t know if it’s going to become such a cpu intense block that we aren’t able to as many instances of it. Might not be a big issue as we have the drive boost in the amp block now, but perhaps a limitation cliff will have to weigh.

Would be useful though, no doubt about it

Drives can create cool tones, but can also generate a lot of noise. In presets where the drive is kicked in for a solo and gain boost the noise can obviously be controlled by a separate noise gate. The same noise gate will however kill the ability to roll off the volume of the guitar when the drive is bypassed. Of course scenes can toggle both the drive and the gate blocks, but for those of us who are using drive blocks as stomps an integrated gate in the drive block will be perfect!
Unlike physical drive pedals, the Drive block in the Axe-Fx doesn't generate any noise of its own. It just amplifies the noise coming into it. And that's all coming from your guitar. And that's the same noise at the same level, whether the Drive block is engaged or not.

You can set up the noise gate in the Input block to just barely cut off that noise. That will leave the useful range of your guitar's volume knob untouched.

Maybe a wish for something like the Decimator G-String would be better; a sort of noise gate that takes your raw guitar signal as the key and can be routed through and around like the Decimator.

Might get confusing, though. Guy I sold mine to wanted to return it saying it didn't work; it just wasn't all hooked up right. Once I helped him with it worked fine.

Anyway, more gate options is always a good thing if you ask me. I love how robust the drive block is becoming!

Maybe a wish for something like the Decimator G-String would be better; a sort of noise gate that takes your raw guitar signal as the key and can be routed through and around like the Decimator.
We have that now. Drop a Gate block wherever you want, and set its Sidechain Source to Input 1.

Back
Top Bottom