GAS Killers

Ok, truly there's no such thing, but I have to say the Axe Fx (which I've had for about two months) and the Atomic Powered Cab I just received Friday have got me really happy with my sound (and I haven't scratched the surface yet, still mostly playing with presets). I was loving the AxeFx so much I sent a new Mesa Mark V back and now with the Atomic I know I'll not be needing an amp for my acoustic guitar either.

I have already been pretty happy with the sound of the Axe Fx out of the box as I was running it out through a Presonus Studio Live Mixer to two JBL EON 515s. I have discovered that the Atomic seems to more accurately reproduce the sound with a little less high end harshness, which is especially impressive considering it's a smaller cab going against a stereo pair. Now I'm debating getting a second Atomic Cab, but then I'll have to start wondering why I have the JBLs at all. The Atomic sounds brilliant with the Axe Fx and I wasn't too surprised by that, but I was completely floored by how good it sounds with my Maton acoustic going direct into the amp. I'm almost scared to run the acoustic through the AxeFx, because that's a whole different level of tweakage potential. The dry sound is so good, I played for about two hours and would have kept playing but I was itching to get back to my electric.

Tweaking will never end, but I think from a preamp/signal processing and amplification standpoint, that I won't be able to do any better unless Cliff and friends upgrade what I'm using currently. So, a significant portion of GAS potential has been attenuated although I can still get GAS for guitars...

Three years now - no GAS. If you've ever seen my 'e-cred' list of amps I went though in a 10 year period, I was on a madly spinning merry-go-round of high end gear for a LONG time.

Since 2007 and post Axe-FX? None.

No lie either.

You should see Yek's list too. It's in his sig.

Mine's nowhere near as impressive.

Still, no gas for amps or effects.

That Duesenberg Starplayer TV Blue Sparkle has me gassing though.

Yeah, I'm definitely still GASing for guitars. I have my eyes on a Suhr electric and I want to sell my Maton acoustic to get a little nicer cutaway model but the great thing is I know I'll be able to get whatever tones I want with any guitar. Since getting the Axe Fx I have sold a Fender Princeton (perfectly good amp, just redundant), returned a Mesa Mark V, and I'm in the process of selling a TC G system.

Same here. Sold all 3 of my heads post Axe-Fx. Owned about 30 different amps over the past 7-10 years. Don't want anything amp wise since 11 months of axe-fx. Guitars is still another story........gas gas gas for guitars.....and a little bit of gas to try a few different power amps out just for fun.....but I can't get an amp to sound as good as my axe-fx. :cool:

I have tried (and tried, and tried) to find something that will work for me instead of the AxeFX -- most of the time I was telling myself " this has too many overwhelming options" or "I have too much money invested in this gear for an at home player" <the I'm not worthy syndrom lol!> or "all I need is one amp, one tone" etc, etc...
Quite honestly even if you are just a guitar -> cable -> amp guy (at this point in my playing I like minimal FX) the AxeFX is worth it's weight in Gold. It sounds great direct to disk, through nearfield monitors and now through SS power amp into Atomic passive cab. Of course now I'm on the hunt for the "perfect" power amp (for me) lol!
Sometimes the "absence of gas" is depressing a little bit. I know that seems crazy and it is... Well, I have new pickups for my one guitar (just because the originals are too noisy). Even then I only own one guitar and I'm not really gassing for anything else.
Because I don't gig I just can't get up to gas for stuff like a midi controller, 4 space rack, etc...
I'm almost done, bout f***ing time! :mrgreen:

Gasp100 said:
Sometimes the "absence of gas" is depressing a little bit. I know that seems crazy and it is...

Gone through this many times. I have no reason to get an AxeFx, but I did and I'm chronically refreshing the UPS tracking information to see how close it is. My Powerball does everything I need and sounds fine, but I think of it like this. Think of your original tube amp as a fine meal at your favorite restaurant. The Axefx is like the sum of those ingredients in the meal, all of higher quality that you can make yourself. If you really care about what you sound like, the option is clear and I think that's why GAS is effectively solved.

However, I feel the same way but I equate GAS to an honest-to-god addiction. Kind of like if you were to bang heroin into your arm for 5 years and then completely quit and find happiness in life. You might be happy that your life is turned around, but something deep down in you misses tapping the vein.

(I watch entirely too much Intervention..)

Back
Top Bottom