GAS - Fender Select Stratocaster

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I love geetars with pretty wood and I love Strats especially with the big headstock.
I cam across this on Reverb:

putbp0otdrdbmcxvs5dk.jpg

Fender Select Stratocaster

What to do....what to do...

Wow. That is a beautiful, beautiful guitar.

On the one hand, by asking the question “what to do” in a forum used by guitarists, you already l know what sort of responses you will get!

On a practical side, cost and actual need wild be my consideration. I am following a $10k PRS right now on Reverb. It is also an incredibly beautiful guitar. But there’s no way I can actually get it when reality sets in. And in the grand scheme, I already own some wonderful guitars including a PRS.

On the one hand, by asking the question “what to do” in a forum used by guitarists, you already l know what sort of responses you will get!
It's actually to get some opinions on these guitars. If they are good instruments ans they're worth over €2000, if they hold their value, or any other user experience...

Should be a good instrument as its a USA fender. Should hold its value as its a USA fender. Will you like it? Unfortunately that’s a matter of trying it out.

My only doubt is that it might be slightly overpriced. According to the Blue Book, it's value isn't more than $1800.
The asking price is €2300

These were considered a step below custom shop when they were released. I have a first year SSS with a maple neck/board. I stripped the nitro off the neck and fingerboard and refinished it with tru-oil as I was driven insane by the nitro over the tops of the frets. It baffles me that Fender does that.

Anyways, pickups and electronics are great on mine, but are in no way noiseless.

The nitro finish on the body is not great, it started flaking in places within the first year. Not down to the wood or anything, just the ”shiny” flaked off in places and left dull patches. I suspect it might have been polished on a Friday afternoon as it seems like it might be burn through.

The neck shape is super comfortable and the compound radius is great. The two point trem with bent saddles is a good blend of modern and vintage and has good stable tuning. It was my main gigging guitar for 5-7 years and other than the nitro finish issues it’s been dead-nuts reliable instrument. The tweed G&G case is pretty killer too.

How does the select compare to the American deluxe? Just better finish / wood or is there a hardware upgrade?

Aha...didn't know that...
And apparently it's only the 3rd version of the Deluxe series...
Nice to know, thanks.

My only doubt is that it might be slightly overpriced. According to the Blue Book, it's value isn't more than $1800.
The asking price is €2300
I think sellers price them higher because they know they will get a lowball offer. Maybe they think if they price it higher, the offer won't be so low.

Back
Top Bottom