Gary Moore long sustain with FM3

Hello friends,

A new user here.

Looking for advice if with FM3 I can achieve long sustain like in Gary Moore solo's in Parisienne Walkways live version.

I watched from youtube, he was just standing close to the cabinet and then he could get that beautiful sustain.

Only play in bedroom, I only connect the unit into 2 monitor speaker desktop 5 inch and sometimes using headphone.

Thanks in advance for the torch
In addition to Piing's clever solution, you have 3 choices:

1) Use a feedback simulator preset like Simeon's.
2) Use a Freqout.
3) Use a sustainiac pickup.

I have both a Freqout and a Sustainiac. Option 1 has the advantage that it requires no new equipment but option 3 sounds the best.

In addition to Piing's clever solution, you have 3 choices:

1) Use a feedback simulator preset like Simeon's.
2) Use a Freqout.
3) Use a sustainiac pickup.

I have both a Freqout and a Sustainiac. Option 1 has the advantage that it requires no new equipment but option 3 sounds the best.
There's also the E-Bow, which has a wide range of sounds available when someone learns to use it. So, 4 choices based on technology, plus the regular old analog way....

There's also the E-Bow, which has a wide range of sounds available when someone learns to use it. So, 4 choices based on technology, plus the regular old analog way....
I have an ebow, and it's cool for violin effects, but I wouldn't recommend it for the Parsienne Walkways kind of Gary Moore thing the OP is asking for where you pick a note and sustain it. Likewise with the "analog way". That wouldn't work well for what the OP is asking for when, as he mentioned, he's monitoring through headphones.

I suspect Pearson has hand and finger strength that could crush walnuts.

Most guitars have certain notes that keep ringing for very long time if you maintain vibrato, even at low volume. I can do that, and I am not specially strong, and I cannot crush walnuts.

But there is one Murphy's Law stating that these are not the notes that you need to maintain when playing a solo. On the contrary, the ones that you need are normally dead notes (at least in my case) 😆

Last edited:
Whatever. You're right. The amp has nothing to do with sustain.
I'm not trying to be right. I'm trying to say (obviously not very well ) that the fundamental signal out of your guitar is the most important part and sustain can be enhanced with feedback loops but that is more about frequency and volume than any model in particular. The amp has a lot to do with it but not in the way the OP was implying .

I'm not trying to be right. I'm trying to say (obviously not very well ) that the fundamental signal out of your guitar is the most important part and sustain can be enhanced with feedback loops but that is more about frequency and volume than any model in particular. The amp has a lot to do with it but not in the way the OP was implying .
Ok, I get that. But when you said that sustain doesn't come from your amp, that made me go, "Huh? Then why did Carlos & Randall get together to build him an amp, that would give Carlos what he was looking for: Sustain. I certainly understand it's a combination of things, but your statement seemed to proclaim rather emphatically, that the amp has nothing to do with it.
And now you're saying the amp has a lot to do with it, which is kinda where I was coming from.
All good! Thanks.

I've reread the original post several times and the OP's subsequent posts. I can't seem to find where he's implying anything relative to an amp. I'd like to understand the point your trying to make more clearly.

Adding more gain or an input boost usually does the trick for me.

In the case of the sustained note at the recording that I have posted before (1st string 14th fret on a Suhr Modern Satin), while playing with headphones or monitors at low volume, adding gain, boost or a compressor brings me nothing but noise at the note decay, not a longer sustain. Not even a wild vibrato prolongs that particular note (lower notes can be prolonged with vibrato, at that same guitar, but not all of them).

A Fender FatFinger attached at the headstock slightly increased the sustain at that note, but still not enough.

BTW, the Fatfinger displaced one of the annoying dead notes of this Suhr from the 3rd string 11th fret to the 9th fret. (by annoying dead note I mean that the guitar body absorbs the vibrational energy of one specific frequency, like a black hole, forcing the note to abruptly die with an unnatural decay and a nasty harmonic. The FatFinger displaces that frequency)

Since I cannot play loud at my condo, the trick of the small speaker coupled to the guitar body does the job to perfection. Natural eternal sustain

Last edited:
Since I cannot play loud at my condo, the trick of the small speaker coupled to the guitar body does the job to perfection. Natural eternal sustain
This shouldn't even need the speaker cone or dust cap if there is one. The way you're using it now, the vibration of the speaker is being mechanically coupled to the body of the guitar and shaking it. Removing the cone and cap and using some Dual Lock (because it holds tighter than velcro so it would couple better) to hold it to the guitar body somewhere would probably suffice without making any noise, similar to how a ToneWood Amp for acoustic guitars. Or stick a super magnet on the Bluetooth speaker and one under the pick guard... you get the idea.

This shouldn't even need the speaker cone or dust cap if there is one. The way you're using it now, the vibration of the speaker is being mechanically coupled to the body of the guitar and shaking it. Removing the cone and cap and using some Dual Lock (because it holds tighter than velcro so it would couple better) to hold it to the guitar body somewhere would probably suffice without making any noise, similar to how a ToneWood Amp for acoustic guitars. Or stick a super magnet on the Bluetooth speaker and one under the pick guard... you get the idea.

Removing the cone and cap would leave the coil floating, and it would be catapulted when it receives signal. The coil is attached to the cone

Some hot glue run in a line down the cone in a couple spots then cut the cone away? It still seems like there'd be a way to use it without it making any noise.

The coil transmits the vibrations to the cone, and the cone to the air and to the attached surface, i.e: the speaker enclosure and the guitar body. If we remove the cone, will the spider be able to transmit the same vibrational energy as the cone? Will the spider without the cone be able to sustain the coil between the front pole plate and the pole piece without being ejected when signal is applied?

a05_spkpic.jpg

And this is a miniature compact speaker, not like the picture above. I do not think it will have a spider, The mini coil will be directly attached to the cone

Last edited:
Anyway, the bluetooth speaker doesn't need to be played loud to achieve the eternal sustain. If it is too loud, the speaker's magnetic field is coupled with the guitar pickups, and that creates very nasty squeals.

Anyway, the bluetooth speaker doesn't need to be played loud to achieve the eternal sustain. If it is too loud, the speaker's magnetic field is coupled with the guitar pickups, and that creates very nasty squeals.
It took me a while to remember the correct name for the units I was thinking of: “sound exciter” or “sound transducer” are common terms. They’re designed for exactly what you are doing but don’t make sound themselves. The headphone output should be able to drive small ones.

Amazon and Parts Express have them.

It took me a while to remember the correct name for the units I was thinking of: “sound exciter” or “sound transducer” are common terms. They’re designed for exactly what you are doing but don’t make sound themselves. The headphone output should be able to drive small ones.

Amazon and Parts Express have them.

Yes, that's what I need.

I already tried placing a tiny computer speaker at the springs cavity, but it didn't work. It doesn't have enough mass to transmit the vibrations to the guitar body

01-jpg.85534

20210702_175526-jpg.85597

Back
Top Bottom