Garcia / Dead Preset for FM3

Your wah is tied to the LFO. Try tying it to the envelope controller instead to get an effect that responds to your pick attack.

The Eternal Love sounds nice and fuzzy into the double verb.

Was there a particular Jerry tone you were chasing?

Edit: you're also clipping the output. Your AMP block settings are running too hot. Use the preset leveling window in FM3-Edit to adjust the maximum output of the preset to be around 0 dB when you really dig in. Very quickly here, AMP channel A needs to be around -30 dB and channel B needs to be around -13 dB on the output level setting to not clip.

I didn't try to balance the scene volumes relative to each other, only keep the output from redlining.

Last edited:
Your wah is tied to the LFO. Try tying it to the envelope controller instead to get an effect that responds to your pick attack.

The Eternal Love sounds nice and fuzzy into the double verb.

Was there a particular Jerry tone you were chasing?

Edit: you're also clipping the output. Your AMP block settings are running too hot. Use the preset leveling window in FM3-Edit to adjust the maximum output of the preset to be around 0 dB when you really dig in. Very quickly here, AMP channel A needs to be around -30 dB and channel B needs to be around -13 dB on the output level setting to not clip.

I didn't try to balance the scene volumes relative to each other, only keep the output from redlining.

Thanks -- I did not notice clipping on my end, but I'll adjust. The "Quack" is aiming at a Mutron sound -- quite tricky. The other scenes are aiming for a cleanish to edge of breakup. I play Weir parts mostly in my band, but I've always wanted to get a good "quack" too. LOL

The "Quack" is aiming at a Mutron sound -- quite tricky.
Swap out the LFO for the Envelope controller. I know you've seen my Dad & Co preset, so use that as a reference point for how to accomplish what a mu-Tron does with Fracta gear. I'm attaching the FM3 version for you.

I play Weir parts mostly in my band, but I've always wanted to get a good "quack" too.
Yea, Wier uses the mu-Tron as well. His tone is really biting, almost percussive with pitch. I had a good discussion on TGP with Steve Kimock about Weir's tone and how he attacks guitar (literally). Can dig it up if you want.

Attachments

• Dad & Co.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 109
Swap out the LFO for the Envelope controller. I know you've seen my Dad & Co preset, so use that as a reference point for how to accomplish what a mu-Tron does with Fracta gear. I'm attaching the FM3 version for you.

Yea, Wier uses the mu-Tron as well. His tone is really biting, almost percussive with pitch. I had a good discussion on TGP with Steve Kimock about Weir's tone and how he attacks guitar (literally). Can dig it up if you want.

OK, I'll give this a try. Thank you.

Sure - if you have the interview I'd like to read / see it.

Thanks Ian. I've implemented your suggestions (see attached). Definitely nicer on the Quack. I also made some adjustments to the EQ. The FM3 is truly amazing! [PS, I haven't been able to open your FM3 version of Dad & Co. above -- downloads to Max, but I cannot seem to open it in Max]

Attachments

• Q GARCIA2.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 73

Playing your Dad & Co. (I used a strat with active pups), the Mutron Scene was bass heavy on my rig. Adjusting the Wah (Envelope) Slope from 50% to c. 86% brightened the tone. Very cool patch. Thanks!

Playing your Dad & Co. (I used a strat with active pups), the Mutron Scene was bass heavy on my rig. Adjusting the Wah (Envelope) Slope from 50% to c. 86% brightened the tone. Very cool patch. Thanks!
Yup. You'll pretty much always have to tune the envelope filter to your specific guitar.

Ian, thanks for posting this thread. Some really interesting comments in there. I don't really like Bob's DeadCo tone much... "high pitched percussion" is about right and depending on how it's mixed it just gets in the way of the rest of the band. I really prefer when he's playing those sweet extended chords like late 80's etc. But I love what he doing on the Althea you linked. Killer version all around!

Ian, thanks for posting this thread. Some really interesting comments in there. I don't really like Bob's DeadCo tone much... "high pitched percussion" is about right and depending on how it's mixed it just gets in the way of the rest of the band. I really prefer when he's playing those sweet extended chords like late 80's etc. But I love what he doing on the Althea you linked. Killer version all around!
When it's back in the mix, it's a texture that I think works well in the context of a large ensemble like Dead & Co. But when it's mixed too upfront --- ouch. There are some versions of Dead & Co doing Standing on the Moon that are just ruined by Weir's tone and his use of a metal slide, unfortunately, IMHO.

Horses for courses.

There's a version of Black Peter (with Jerry) that I listened to where Weir's tone is a treble "squeak" -- I've gotta find it again. It was strange but very cool at the same time. I have no idea what effects he was using. I'll try to find it and post.

When it's back in the mix, it's a texture that I think works well in the context of a large ensemble like Dead & Co. But when it's mixed too upfront --- ouch. There are some versions of Dead & Co doing Standing on the Moon that are just ruined by Weir's tone and his use of a metal slide, unfortunately, IMHO.
Exactly. I never really listened to D&C that much until all the Saturday streams this year (I love Mayer but mostly prefer Furthur or Phil & Friends ;-). Some nights/songs I really love Bobby's sound, others where he was mixed too high it was like too much cymbals in the mix or something - even on more upbeat songs where you wouldn't normally hear him that much there was this terrible squeal over the top drowning out every other nuance.

Weir's hearing is shot. He needs to crank up the highs just to hear what he needs in the in ear monitors. Unfortunately, we hear some of that as well.

Last edited:
Weir's hearing is shot. He needs to crank up the highs just to hear what he needs in the in ear monitors. Unfortunately, we hear that as well.
I don't disagree with his hearing being shot, but the sound we're presented as an audience is entirely within the control of the mixing engineers -- and they chose to preset Weir's tone with all that high end. Maybe Weir tells them to do it?

Yes, too often Weir's guitar clanging sound is distracting to the song. I also think the Silver Sky Mayer is playing with Dead & Co sounds too thin. And the new 3 humbucker PRS he is playing this year, although better than the Silver Sky, doesn't seem to have that Gerry tone as much as the previous year's PRS models Mayer used.

Last edited:
Yes, too often Weir's guitar clanging sound is distracting to the song. I also think the Silver Sky Meyer is playing with Dead & Co sounds too thin. And the new 3 humbucker PRS he is playing this year, although better than the Silver Sky, doesn't seem to have that Gerry tone as much as the previous year's PRS models Meyer used.
Ok, considering that your username is "John M" I'm going to defer to your opinion... ;-)

... but I love how the Silver Sky sounds when Mayer plays it.

I was listening to some DeadCo from summer tour in the car the other day and Weir's guitar literally just sounded like high-pitched interference, like static on a radio station. My wife was like "what's that noise?"

Back
Top Bottom