Gapless scene switching?

I know I would be tat guy. :)

Seriously though, this issue is more a distraction for me while I'm playing. It totally pulls me out of what I'm doing. I've also had people share video of gigs I've played and have to cringe if I watch it.
Exactly my experience as well.
May want to try a new approach. Look at it as if you have a great amp but if you adjust settings for gain input trim whatever you could use that same amp to cover those three tones if only you could turn knobs between each scene which you can using the scene controller. More info on scene controllers on page 65 of the manual. It's really quite simple and oh so powerful.
This is what I've started doing. I find, going this route, even the tones are a lot more balanced. I rarely go from purely clean to heavy dirt, so having a different amp for a clean scene isn't a big deal. It's great how many ways you can approach things with the FM3.

Sorry, I fat-footed to my clean scene the first way through. And to be honest, the gap really isn’t that noticeable, but it is mid-song going into a solo. Once again, not a complaint really, just something I noticed. I’ve been able to make a great preset that uses the 5150iii 50w model that is seamless and GLORIOUS. But the below clip is of my main gigging preset I’ve used over the past year with the Atomica High.

I am kind of surprised the FC6 doesn't have the silent/clickless switches that the FM3 has.

They don't sound clickless in this video. Maybe it is misleading???
Even the clickless ones still make a sound. Depending on how loud you're playing, how hard you stomp, and where your mic is, the switches might sound loud or they might be completely inaudible

Does anyone really think there are people in the audience that say, man that guy has really got to figure out how to get that seamless switching thing under control?
It depends on the music and the role of the guitarist in the band. Nothing against those who want perfection, but a lot of pros I support are still switching presets instead of scenes -- in the context of a band mix or with basic spillover enabled. They might hit the change on a downbeat, or during a short pause in the music. Others obsess and want it better than a studio recording. It all depends, and whatever your needs Fractal Audio has a product or products that can accommodate.

It depends on the music and the role of the guitarist in the band. Nothing against those who want perfection, but a lot of pros I support are still switching presets instead of scenes -- in the context of a band mix or with basic spillover enabled. They might hit the change on a downbeat, or during a short pause in the music. Others obsess and want it better than a studio recording. It all depends, and whatever your needs Fractal Audio has a product or products that can accommodate.
This. I really haven't had any issue figuring out where in a song or between songs to make any changes.

If you're trying to replicate a recording, I don't believe any product is capable of reproducing the seamless transitions, accomplished by mixing of different tracks for sections of songs, in a live environment.

Sorry, I fat-footed to my clean scene the first way through. And to be honest, the gap really isn’t that noticeable, but it is mid-song going into a solo. Once again, not a complaint really, just something I noticed. I’ve been able to make a great preset that uses the 5150iii 50w model that is seamless and GLORIOUS. But the below clip is of my main gigging preset I’ve used over the past year with the Atomica High.

Seems pretty seamless to me; at least very close to flipping channels on an amp with a footswitch. In a live context, doubt it'll be really noticed if you have a drummer in the band as well.

While I have the utmost respect for the contributors on this forum, the gapless thing seems to be a bit over blown. My guess is that there are a lot of us that use to or currently own old analog pedals boards. Tap dancing and time in between where you are and where you are going could seem to take days. Taking two or three tube amps to a gig, was pretty unheard of, maybe a couple Twins! However, taking a nice Fender Deluxe Reverb amp and then switching to something like a Marshall with 2 delays, phazer, wah, and tad of compression and EQ, wait how long did that take? I guess it's just a matter of player preference. To each his own. I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm real happy with my change to Fractal from my tube amps and old pedal boards.

While I have the utmost respect for the contributors on this forum, the gapless thing seems to be a bit over blown. My guess is that there are a lot of us that use to or currently own old analog pedals boards. Tap dancing and time in between where you are and where you are going could seem to take days. Taking two or three tube amps to a gig, was pretty unheard of, maybe a couple Twins! However, taking a nice Fender Deluxe Reverb amp and then switching to something like a Marshall with 2 delays, phazer, wah, and tad of compression and EQ, wait how long did that take? I guess it's just a matter of player preference. To each his own. I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm real happy with my change to Fractal from my tube amps and old pedal boards.

If I were to replicate the rig I used back in my bar band days, it would use maybe 35% of the CPU power in the FM3 and only require one preset. And this was in a cover band, too, so I had a huge variety of genres to deal with, but I got by just fine with a three channel amp with a volume pedal and delay in the loop and a wah in front of it. That's all I ever needed.

I got by just fine with a three channel amp with a volume pedal and delay in the loop and a wah in front of it. That's all I ever needed.

Congrats! I had a more complicated rig with some stomps and some MIDI controlled rack gear, and homebrew or modded hamfest tube amps. AxeFX3 did all of my whole rig in one preset, too....

Admin M@ That must be beyond frustrating working with pro players that cant or just plain refuse to learn a new method. I get it that you get into a performance mode and any change would mean actually having to think about it. My OCD is having a panic attach just reading that.

So many users want everything to sound better but function exactly like their old rig.

Admin M@ That must be beyond frustrating working with pro players that cant or just plain refuse to learn a new method. I get it that you get into a performance mode and any change would mean actually having to think about it. My OCD is having a panic attach just reading that.
I believe the point he's making is that a lot of pros aren't bothered with or concerned by the 'gap' caused by switching presets. They've figured out how to make the changes so it isn't noticeable. Others are more concerned with it depending upon their application.
So many users want everything to sound better but function exactly like their old rig.
They want all of the changes they used to need to make on their old rig, plus change amps and cabs, happen in less than a split second and remain inaudible.

"They want all of the changes they used to need to make on their old rig, plus change amps and cabs, happen in less than a split second and remain inaudible."

Basically for me yes. After much frustration and attempts to work it out, is why I abandoned the FM-3 for live use.

Back
Top Bottom