Wish Gallien Krueger 800RB amp

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Now Cygnus has landed, I feel the Axe FX now can do Bass very very well.
I wish I wish for a Gallien Kruger 800RB amplifier (yes a double wish) - this would be a challenge I assume as it can bi-amp, but what a sensational beast to have in the unit!
I would so love to create the Bass sound I had, when I had hair, and a social life due to no pandemic!

Here’s the service doc https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/800rb-service-manual-472053.pdf

Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:
I'd like to see one of the GK RB series amps added as well but bass amps seem to be pretty low on Fractal's priority list. On the plus side they are pretty cheap used. I got a 700RB last month and it kicks ass. The bi-amp feature isn't going to be applicable in a model though because it requires using GK's tweeter-equipped Neo cabs.

HI Flashback,

Biamping could be very usable in an Axe FX model. I can imagine a number of ways it could be implemented. I have a number of IRs that could be used for the Sub, and the high range. It would also be a feature that is new and not yet available in the Axe FX... There's not many of them left!
Tanks
Pauly

I'd like to see one of the GK RB series amps added as well but bass amps seem to be pretty low on Fractal's priority list. On the plus side they are pretty cheap used. I got a 700RB last month and it kicks ass. The bi-amp feature isn't going to be applicable in a model though because it requires using GK's tweeter-equipped Neo cabs.

This has been requested a couple times over the years, and never gets traction. I don't understand why. Is it because it's a solid state amp? 4 band eq? Unique and essential Contour knob? Lack of available schematics? I don't think biamp capability is essential to the GK sound JMHO.

One must consider that it is lack of interest that stands in the way, regardless of the probability that the GK 800RB is far more ubiquitous in the world of rock and roll than any worthy guitar amp not currently included in the vast list of models. Again IMHO.

Hi @jimfist,

Maybe, but could be anything.

Firstly - it's a bass amp ...and not even one of those bass amps that's renowned for use by guitarists as well (like say a bassman, or SVT) which I guess would reduce it's appeal a bit.
Also, it's bi-amp capable. That means new functionality that's not yet been considered for the amp block - I know we can bi-amp using the crossover, however I'm not sure how that translates to the 100 + 300 watt biamp thing the 800RB has.

Maybe Cliff is going over the circuit right now... who knows.

I'll just continue to hope it turns up and be thankful if/when it does.

Thanks
Pauly

This has been requested a couple times over the years, and never gets traction. I don't understand why. Is it because it's a solid state amp? 4 band eq? Unique and essential Contour knob? Lack of available schematics? I don't think biamp capability is essential to the GK sound JMHO.

One must consider that it is lack of interest that stands in the way, regardless of the probability that the GK 800RB is far more ubiquitous in the world of rock and roll than any worthy guitar amp not currently included in the vast list of models. Again IMHO.

Hi again @Flashback
You dont have to have GKs tweeter equipped cab to use the bi-amping... you could use a couple of tens and a couple of 15s (H/L respectively), or whatever you conjured up - As long as the impedance is within specs, and the drivers can handle the frequency range you're pushing to them, you're good to go.

Ah happy memories :)

Thanks
Pauly

Hi again @Flashback
You dont have to have GKs tweeter equipped cab to use the bi-amping... you could use a couple of tens and a couple of 15s (H/L respectively), or whatever you conjured up - As long as the impedance is within specs, and the drivers can handle the frequency range you're pushing to them, you're good to go.

Ah happy memories :)

Thanks
Pauly
Interesting... I didn't know you could do that with the 800RB and had no idea what you were talking about until I Googled a picture and saw that it has separate outputs for high and low. With the 700RB you have to use one of those special 4 conductor speakon cables.

Last edited:
I have a 1st Gen GK 400RB I still use on occasion. Just seems While I still have a number of guitar & bass amps, this is the only one I can't get 100% match on the Axe FX 3 for what I need.

- Does a bass amp have to be also used as a guitar amp to qualify for consideration? Though the SVT may have been used by guitarists for a very limited time, I can't ever recall guitarists tripping over themselves to use an SVT rig, nor can I ever recall anyone other than bassists using a portaflex rig. Ditto for the Mesa 400 models in the AxeFx. So it would seem that there's no necessary correlation between FAS developing a bass amp model based on cross-usage by guitarists.

- Bi-amp capability is not a requisite usage with the GK800RB. In fact, the 400RB is the same preamp but doesn't have bi-amp capability. Either one would work to capture that vintage of GK 'trademark' tone w/Boost valve simulation.

Hi @jimfist,

Maybe, but could be anything.

Firstly - it's a bass amp ...and not even one of those bass amps that's renowned for use by guitarists as well (like say a bassman, or SVT) which I guess would reduce it's appeal a bit.
Also, it's bi-amp capable. That means new functionality that's not yet been considered for the amp block - I know we can bi-amp using the crossover, however I'm not sure how that translates to the 100 + 300 watt biamp thing the 800RB has.

Maybe Cliff is going over the circuit right now... who knows.

I'll just continue to hope it turns up and be thankful if/when it does.

Thanks
Pauly

I have a 1st Gen GK 400RB I still use on occasion. Just seems While I still have a number of guitar & bass amps, this is the only one I can't get 100% match on the Axe FX 3 for what I need.
If you're playing clean it's not very hard to match: just tone match, adjust, re-match, re-adjust, etc.

HI @jimfist

1/ - No idea - you'd hace to ask Cliff that one.
2/ - The bi-amp capability of the amp is part of the amp. If we just wanted the preamp, then I guess the preamp only would have to be modelled. Personally, I'd like to see the whole unit modelled.

Thanks
Pauly

Does a bass amp have to be also used as a guitar amp to qualify for consideration? Though the SVT may have been used by guitarists for a very limited time, I can't ever recall guitarists tripping over themselves to use an SVT rig, nor can I ever recall anyone other than bassists using a portaflex rig. Ditto for the Mesa 400 models in the AxeFx. So it would seem that there's no necessary correlation between FAS developing a bass amp model based on cross-usage by guitarists.

- Bi-amp capability is not a requisite usage with the GK800RB. In fact, the 400RB is the same preamp but doesn't have bi-amp capability. Either one would work to capture that vintage of GK 'trademark' tone w/Boost valve simulation.

HI @jimfist

1/ - No idea - you'd hace to ask Cliff that one.
2/ - The bi-amp capability of the amp is part of the amp. If we just wanted the preamp, then I guess the preamp only would have to be modelled. Personally, I'd like to see the whole unit modelled.

Thanks
Pauly
Two modes of operation on the 800: biamp and full range, via switch. Used in full range mode, it operates just like any other full range bass head. The 400 is full range only, same tone stack, but less power than the 800. I wouldn't be upset if biamping were not part of the model, but that's JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom