Gain staging for a looper in the FX Loop

JustinAiken

Inspired
Okay, so I have a Boss RC-20 in my effects loop, and that's all...

If I create an FX Loop block last in a preset, I adjust the output2 volume on the AXE-FX so that input on the RC-20 is just below clipping, and adjust Input2 on the AXE-FX until it looks the same level on the LED meters as input1...

But then the volume drops drastically when I enable the FX loop. I try compensating for it by adjust the gain on the fx loop block, but even cranked to the max 13.5 db increase, the volume still drops when I activate the FX loop...

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry nobody has answer yout question, I only had the Axe Fx Ultra for a week, and I use an Line 6 M13 because of the looper and it has a couple of weird effects. I use half of it just like a regular pedal and half throught the fx loop block. Have you tried putting the fx loop block right after the amp? I don't know how you build your patches, but I use an eq after the amp, then split the signal into a mixer then to the fx's. You have 4 signals in the mixer were one of them is the amps dry signal and the rest are fx's, then it goes to a shunt then to the outputs in stereo. Yo couldu use one of the mixer channels to run your fx with an Fx loop block. I just had the Axe Fx for 2 weeks so somebody might have a better way of doing it, but I don't get any volume drops the way I do it. Hope this works.

JustinAiken said:
Okay, so I have a Boss RC-20 in my effects loop, and that's all...

If I create an FX Loop block last in a preset, I adjust the output2 volume on the AXE-FX so that input on the RC-20 is just below clipping, and adjust Input2 on the AXE-FX until it looks the same level on the LED meters as input1...

But then the volume drops drastically when I enable the FX loop. I try compensating for it by adjust the gain on the fx loop block, but even cranked to the max 13.5 db increase, the volume still drops when I activate the FX loop...

What am I doing wrong?

You can turn Input 2 up more if it's not occasionally lighting the red LEDs. If you're getting any compression from an amp or compressor the signal at the loop will be less dynamic and it's fine to sit at a higher level than the input 1 LEDs as notes decay.

I'm not sure how there could still not be enough signal with Input 2 near red and FXL level at maximum--large increase vs. bypassed testing here with a cable in the loop. But if you need more you can reduce level of the amp block (or anything before FXL really) and turn up the output 2 knob. Or place a null filter after the FXL to act as a boost by engaging along with FXL.

Hey JustinAiken,

I’ve had similar issues with using anM13 via the effect loop on my Ultra. I found it impossible to get the same level when the effects loop was enabled verses disabled. I think I even tried connecting patch cables directly from output 2 to Input 2 (fx return) but still got a drop in level. No matter what way I adjusted the output 2 and input 2 knobs I couldn’t get the levels the same (clipping always occurred before unity in perceived level). As stated above (by yourself and sheguitarplayer) there is a 13.5 level on page two of the effect loop block.

To get more level insert a filter block after the loop block, set it to null and adjust the level (not the gain). This will give you up to an extra 20db. It works for me!

Give it a try and let us know how it goes?

Cheers,
Darren

Back
Top Bottom