Gain Stacking

Jimmytwotimes

Experienced
Anyone do this? If so - what amps and drives are you using? I've messed around with it with little success. But I'm thinking its user error...

Hers a tutorial I found for a SRV type sound using 2 tube screamers. I don't typically gain stack so I may be the wrong guy to answer but it sounds like his amp is very very clean with minimal drive coming from the OD's.

The second drive comes in around 14:20

I think extreme moderation on the first drive controls (0 gain) for the most part for clean amps and edge of breakup tones or just pushed over.

The first drive homes in on the tone and feel, the 2nd for "overdrive" of the same tone.

I'm not a fan of drives on hi-gain amps....but could see a need for certain situations.

I use various "clean" amps with a boost type Drive block right before the amp and always on. I like SDD, FAS Boost, Micro Amp, RCB for this. I can both push the amp into edge of breakup (my preferred "clean") and pre-EQ to shape the overall tone.

Before the boost I will add another Drive block for leads. I like the ACB and T808 Mod, but many others will do depending on what I'm after.

All great suggestions - I will do some more experimenting this weekend. I think I need pick " more clean" amps to start with and mess around with the drives from there - so many options. The axe is really limitless !

With physical pedals I used to stack up to 4 overdrives and distortions for different types and level of gain. I used either a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia or Mesa Lonestar Classic set fairly clean. I initially had problems with getting the desired results and discovered the trick, that has been alluded to, is judicious use of gain. Even on the lower gain overdrive pedals (Barber LTD), the gain was never higher than @ 50%.

My philosophy developed into selecting and using the pedals mainly for gain structure and stacking them created "gain stages" that controlled the amount of gain. When setting the pedal's gain levels, I'd turn the gain just to the point where it would "kick in", where the gain's character or feel was evident. Any more than that seemed to mush out the gain quickly as more pedals were added.

I haven't tried to replicate this in the Fractal world because of the number of amps that cover my various gain needs.

So ill gain stack on clean amps. But if im really wanting that Marhsall lead sound or something heavy, ill go to the amp. I base it on what songI'm playing.

All great suggestions - I will do some more experimenting this weekend. I think I need pick " more clean" amps to start with and mess around with the drives from there - so many options. The axe is really limitless !
I find that having the "base" amp tone a little dull to start with works better... Use the boost to define the character.

What I find interesting is that so many dirt pedals were designed (or marketed like they were) to sound like a real amp distorting. Hence the name , "Tube Screamer", for instance. With the AxeFX, you've essentially got a few hundred amp models that you can get to distort at volume levels that won't make you ears bleed, and I'd usually go with those over one of the drive pedals.

Some of the drive pedals, like the TS, have a distinctive sound of their own that has a place in recorded music history, so if you're going for a particular signature tone (like the SRV tone in the video) you'll want to use the drive block.

I also find that the drive blocks are useful for adding an extra dimension to a preset without the overhead of multiple amp blocks.

What I find interesting is that so many dirt pedals were designed (or marketed like they were) to sound like a real amp distorting. Hence the name , "Tube Screamer", for instance. With the AxeFX, you've essentially got a few hundred amp models that you can get to distort at volume levels that won't make you ears bleed, and I'd usually go with those over one of the drive pedals.

Some of the drive pedals, like the TS, have a distinctive sound of their own that has a place in recorded music history, so if you're going for a particular signature tone (like the SRV tone in the video) you'll want to use the drive block.

I also find that the drive blocks are useful for adding an extra dimension to a preset without the overhead of multiple amp blocks.
But a distorted amp does not behave the same as one being pushed at the input... There are uses for both ;)

one of the keys for the drive blocks in the Axe is to watch the level control. I consistently have to run the level lower than I did on real world versions of the same pedals.

Back
Top Bottom