Gain Enhancer Appreciation Thread

giantslayer

Experienced
I think the new Gain Enhancer in 9.01 is one of the coolest new features in a while.

Added “Gain Enhancer” mode to Amp block Output Compressor. This mode can be used to simulate the acoustic reinforcement of a loud amp coupling into the guitar and enhancing the output signal.

Experimenting with this, I've found it adds a real liveliness to the tone that you normally need a real amp for. It also adds to the sustain nicely. It's different from just adding reverb and I think this was the biggest piece of "in-the-room tone" that was missing.

Currently, I've got it dialed in at 0.50 where it breathes a little life into the tone but doesn't make chords mushy. I'm curious to hear how it will sound live. Where I play, the volume levels are pretty moderate and we use in-ear monitors so I think it'll work well.

This is one of those things I just assumed was impossible to model and I'm super stoked that we have it now! Of course, there are certain aspects that are impossible to model, such as the harmonic feedback from the pickups, but I feel like what we have now is 95% of it. Thanks, Cliff!

Just starting to dig into it a bit. Currently liking it at 2 for a handful of amps, but thinking a little lower (1.5? 1.3?) might suit some better.

Different amp models seem to interact differently with it, or perhaps, on a 'clean' amp, it has more to do with how much headroom is available. Definitely getting more 'bloom' on sustained notes and chords. For the dirty amps, it seems to impart a bit more gain and break over into feedback a bit more eagerly.

Me likey.

This is quite possibly my favorite thing in the 3 yet! If I didn't have one I'd buy on JUST for this, this REALLY nails that 'loud amp' feel and tone!

I crank it up and instantly sound just like my heroes, with tones I thought I'd never have! I add a bit to a crunchy amp and instantly sound like Brian May, Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, Hendrix, you name it! All those elusive tones that we hear and chase, it is all here in spades now :) it's that elusive 5% of tone that make people say 'modelers aren't there yet'.....usually the rockstars who are used to loud amps

Usually you would have to crank up an amp REALLY loud to get this feel and tone, now I just turn a knob and I'm in THE ZONE! Instant stage vibe! The 'amp in the room' guys will LOVE this one....

The bloom is real!!

And it lives in the axe fx 3!!

This is a great idea. I play a 335 a lot and getting that extra sustain that borders on feedback when you're playing with a cranked amp is the only thing I miss with the Axe. I hope I can get an approximation of that. I know it won't be quite the same because the guitar won't be on the verge of feedback.

Added the setting 0.5 to all my presets, even the clean ones... It brings life to the tones, really add a "real amp" feeling.

Am I just hearing things or does changing to gain enhancer change the tone even if Output Compression is left at zero?

Btw, I haven't heard anyone mention this yet, but the Comp Clarity is a working parameter with the Gain Enhancer. It seem to change the tonal character of the "enhancement" as you turn it up and down. I like to turn it down just a little. It kind of warms things up.

So far I like around 1 with the Recto Red. However, with some pickups, like the M7, I like it off.

I highly recommend using it with amps like the dumbles, voxes, and 'boutique' type amps, gives you all the classic type of sounds IMMEDIATELY.

Matter of fact, a lot of amps I could not get with I'm loving a lot more right now.

I am thinking of ways to accomplish the same or similar in the ii, it really is a game changer and I still intend on using the ii live....though the more and more I play the 3 I'm rethinking that plan :tearsofjoy:

I'm guessing the louder you play is the less of it that you need, but I gave up deafening volumes when I got the axe, so it's a blessing for lower and medium volumes, even a touch really brings the amp to life!

I think this should have its own dedicated control so that the other Compressor types are still available at the same time.
Gain Enhancer really is the icing on the cake and should be available at all times to finalize a sound despite using one of the other Comp types already....

I think this should have its own dedicated control so that the other Compressor types are still available at the same time.
Gain Enhancer really is the icing on the cake and should be available at all times to finalize a sound despite using one of the other Comp types already....

I concur! It is IMHO the most important knob after the gain and volume knobs. I'm guessing doing that will use more CPU functioning as a dedicated control than with it as a compressor option but hey the 3 has lots of headroom right? :p

Back
Top Bottom