Gain Disparity Question

vairish

Inspired
Hey Guys,

So I was watching one of Leon Todds latest videos (5 Minute Tones - Plexi 6550) and something I've started to notice is that Leon and other players seem to have a lot more gain than I do at the same settings. In this case it feels like I only have half the gain Leon has.

I plug directly into my Axe FX and my A/D input levels are set to 100%. My input monitor usually hits the orange light. I understand that pickups etc will make a difference, but the guitar I'm playing right now is a Suhr with a Thornbucker+ pickup which is a which has a fairly decent 9.1k output.

I'd be happy to record a clip of this later after work, but I was wondering if anyone had some insight or suggestions on why this might be happening?

Hey Guys,

So I was watching one of Leon Todds latest videos (5 Minute Tones - Plexi 6550) and something I've started to notice is that Leon and other players seem to have a lot more gain than I do at the same settings. In this case it feels like I only have half the gain Leon has.

I plug directly into my Axe FX and my A/D input levels are set to 100%. My input monitor usually hits the orange light. I understand that pickups etc will make a difference, but the guitar I'm playing right now is a Suhr with a Thornbucker+ pickup which is a which has a fairly decent 9.1k output.

I'd be happy to record a clip of this later after work, but I was wondering if anyone had some insight or suggestions on why this might be happening?
9.1k is not necessarily all that high output for a humbucker. You may just want to increase the input trim a bit.

9.1k is not that hot. My PRS Custom have the body (and the pickups) very close to the strings and it sounds close to Leon videos while my ESP with a JB (wich is pretty far to the strings) have noticeable less gain.

I have downloaded some presets by other people that have waaaay too much gain with my guitars, so It's a matter of every guitar being different.

Hey Guys,

Leon almost always uses the Input Boost from the Preamp menu. Not sure if you watched the video where he tweaks the settings or just listened and assumed the amp had that much gain on it's own.

@vairish Perhaps you have your AxeFX set for -10dB instead of +4dB? I have mine set for +4dB and it feels like I get the same/similar level of gain compared against @2112 and the like. Hope this helps.

Post your preset and I'll have a look. As @ocaptainjr2 mentioned it's highly likely I've got the grinder boost on.

Also, check you have power amp modelling enabled - non-MV amps like the plexi get most of their distortion from the power amp.

@vairish Perhaps you have your AxeFX set for -10dB instead of +4dB? I have mine set for +4dB and it feels like I get the same/similar level of gain compared against @2112 and the like. Hope this helps.

That doesn't have anything to do with it as that is output gain and will have no affect on the tone.

Also, I am noticing the same thing as the OP in regards to the gain level. I think part of it is that I'm comparing a direct recorded sound with the sound of my guitar acoustically with the sound of it coming of the AF3 (I'm listening monitors and haven't cranked them up). Not sure if the OP is comparing recorded tone with recorded tone or not though.

I was thinking the same thing and wondering what pickups he has and what his input levels are too. I have Fishman Fluence Modern pickups in my main guitars so there is no lack of gain from them and was wondering if my input level is a lot lower or something. I’ll be curious as to what the answer is to this and thanks for posting.

Right now I've got a James Tyler - "Secret" in the Bridge of my Super Strat ( approx. 12.5 +/- which is supposed to be med. output ) ..., I used to have a "Super" ( approx. 17.5 +/- high output ) .... It made a HUGE difference in both the perceived gain & tone ....

But that said ..., I would LOVE some guidance on how much to boost the input trim to simulate hotter pickups ?

for ex: Is bumping from 1.000 to 2.00 enough ?

Right now I've got a James Tyler - "Secret" in the Bridge of my Super Strat ( approx. 12.5 +/- which is supposed to be med. output ) ..., I used to have a "Super" ( approx. 17.5 +/- high output ) .... It made a HUGE difference in both the perceived gain & tone ....

But that said ..., I would LOVE some guidance on how much to boost the input trim to simulate hotter pickups ?

for ex: Is bumping from 1.000 to 2.00 enough ?
Turn the the knob clockwise until the gain is where you want it. If you find that the gain is too high turn the knob counter clockwise until it sounds right.
Pickup resistance, wire gage, construction materials, closeness to the strings ect all effect the distortion characteristics of your tone. Your best bet is to turn knobs until you get the right level of gain.

Reactions: Rex
Also the resistance of a pickup is not usually always an indication of how 'hot' a pickup is.

For eg, Yngwie's signature fury pickups read somewhere like 25k!!! That should be as hot a pickup out there as possible yet it's possibly their lowest output pickup (both dimarzio and Duncan versions)

I'd add gain to taste. I have a lot of guitars that I interchange regularly to see how the sound changes and it's quite drastic. A raging shred guitar when swapped with another more mellow guitar on the same patch is like going from Slayer to George Benson almost!! lol!!!

It varies, so add to taste

The pickups and guitar have a lot to do with it
PRS guitars have a mid pushed growl
Watch some of the Mesa boogie videos when they use the PRS vs a gibson. Im the MK25 vids or Recto
It sounds like the amp is being hit w a boost

Back
Top Bottom