G66 Silent Fan Install

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
Does anyone know which fan G66 uses to replace the stock fan with? On G66's service page it states the following:

On the Axe-Fx and Ultra we also replace the original fan with one that is almost completely silent and install the latest firmware.

I was hoping for a direct pop in pop out replacement instead of having to solder like some of the other solutions I've seen... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm seeing a mention of 60mm and 80mm fans... anyone have any info? I have an Axe-fx Mark I. Thanks!

I have a MkI too and it's a 60mm fan. I've seen some 'rigging' to make an 80mm work but way too much effort for my interest.

Why not just write an email directly to g66 to get the serial number of the fan they used? From my experience with them, they will answer in less than 24h.

It's a Revoltec Air Guard 60mm for the Mk 1. I've had a few over the years. They're dead silent at first, but start to make noise after 6 months or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for chiming in fellas... I re-read the thread I referenced and it said that the Axe-fx II fans changed from 60mm to 80mm some time ago (at least the G66 ones). Now I'm confused.

Fabio and Dojo: Thanks for the suggestion... I did a search for Revoltec 60x60x20mm Fan AirGuard, RL036 and only came across a couple links overseas...

I remember Cliff stating several years ago that the Silent X didn't push enough CFM or something... it almost seems like there's gotta be a list of known good silent fans as a direct drop in with no modifications for both the 60mm and 80mm Axe-fx cases. Let me take a look in the wiki.

Edit: Did a search in the wiki for "fan" and came up with nothing... did a search for "silent" and came across the MFC101's silent switching, fixed metronome silent issue and an IR from silent underground.

Edit2: Just did a search for CFM on the forum and came up with "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms". Also did a search in the wiki and nothing came up as well.

Edit3: Just did a google search and found a suggestion from Java (Sean): "It is a 60mm. I would make sure it has at least 15.5 cfm (what the stock fan has). There are 2 dsps on the II so that is going to generate more heat."

Last edited:
Well I think I may have found my fan...

Noiseblocker Multiframe S-Series M8 S1 - 80mm
Dimensions: 80x80x25mm
Speed (+- 10%): 1200rpm
Airflow: 30m³/h
Noise level: Not measurable at 100cm distance, at 25cm 6dB(A)
Voltage range: 5-13,8V
Starting voltage: 5V
Power consumption: 1,2W
Warranty: 6 years

Info taken from this thread... now the question is: How do you install a 80mm fan on a 60mm fan chasis of the Axe-fx II?

NMG's review stated: Now you really cannot even tell that the Axe has a fan inside, it is practically silent.

I have a MkI. I received Silentx ixtrema fan from g66 last week as a replacement for the 80mm fan. I'm a bit worried now that people are saying it's not enough for the airflow.

They also send me a wrong size fan (60mm) by a mistake. It was the Revoltec AirGuard. You have to open up the top to see if you have the 80mm or the 60mm.

I went ahead and ordered the Fractal since I couldn't locate the Revoltec anywhere... thanks for everyone who chimed in!

Back
Top Bottom