G3 modeling thread

The Axe-FX II's life will – in all likelihood – outlast most of our own. They'll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands.

Really, though, there's no planned obsolescence built into the Axe-FX, like there is with many technologies; Cliff and the Fractal folk are going to keep pushing the limits of the existing box for a long time to come. And if/when they decide to update the hardware by moving on to a new platform, our current boxes will still retain a huge resale value. When I sold my Ultra, it brought me close to 70% of what I needed to pay for the new Axe.

Very, very few of us can say we're actually making full use of what the Axe makes available to us already. We're on the eve of a very significant update in the amp algorithms; it's safe to say we're a long, long way from seeing the end of what this box can do.

One of the only things on my fantasy wish list that I really can't see happening in a new model – because I don't think all that many users would be interested – would be fully native surround capabilities. Since I don't expect that, I plan to keep the Axe II and use it for the rear channels, with the Axe III up front.

But it will be quite a while before that happens. Mercy!

I think the more interesting question is how long will the Axe II / XL get firmware updates. The Ultra stopped at FW 11, we're currently at FW18 with the II. I don't think that too many more major updates will be pushed out - the CPU is also becoming a limitation for many real enhancements that could be done.
All this being said, the Axe II / XL is still something that you can absolutely buy today, it will never lose its awesomeness and probably there's still plenty of ideas that Cliff will introduce (the XL has been released with future reserves, that's something not to forget :))

I think the more interesting question is how long will the Axe II / XL get firmware updates. The Ultra stopped at FW 11, we're currently at FW18 with the II. I don't think that too many more major updates will be pushed out - the CPU is also becoming a limitation for many real enhancements that could be done.
All this being said, the Axe II / XL is still something that you can absolutely buy today, it will never lose its awesomeness and probably there's still plenty of ideas that Cliff will introduce (the XL has been released with future reserves, that's something not to forget :))

The XL still has the same processing power though, with the same two chips, so essentially it has the same "limitations" as far as the CPU is concerned.

Even if the Axe FX III was announced tomorrow, you wouldn't get one for another year. These things are popular, and there's always a long waitlist for the new stuff.

Who needs G3 - I have my eyes on this!!

attachment.php

I remember the excitement of anticipation back in the 70's when G3 meant nothing. This was all that mattered in the world to me. Still pretty cool I must say!

Attachments

• tumblr_mn3c4xwN4O1qc2dxto1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mn3c4xwN4O1qc2dxto1_500.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 427

You say that, but until the tigerSHARC processors used in the axefxII are superceded by a new, more powerful version, its unlikely that an axefx III will surface. Even then, there will be an R&D period in which it will take to produce a new generation of Fractal Audio Systems processors for sale to the general public.

Thats what the XL is about. In liue of a new processor, cliff has upgraded the physical I/Os and the capacity of the memory of the device based on how people use their axefxIIs to make it more useful to the average user who may have LOTS of third party IRs etc. The CPU limitations aren't really limitations... You have quality settings on the new reverbs and preamps which sound great on both settings, ultra res and standard res cabs, so no matter how big or small your patch, you can get the most out of your axefx.

attachment.php

I remember the excitement of anticipation back in the 70's when G3 meant nothing. This was all that mattered in the world to me. Still pretty cool I must say!

That's a pimped out ride! Mine was pretty much the same but had red flames on it. That is until my brother got it in a wreck after buying some 5 cent Bub's Daddies at the Speedy Market :)

Jeez I'm sounding old.

You guys were asking about the G3 Recto? Well here's a comparison clip with G3 Recto vs a real Mesa Roadster on channel 4 in modern mode. Most of the difference is the guitar and the guy playing it. I mute very differently to Irotlas who recorded this slave clip. And you know what? EQ is all set to 5. Drive 7, presence 0.5 and master 2.00. Other than that it's the G3 RECTO2 RED MDRN with it's stock settings.

Oh my... doesn't make me miss my Roadster that much anymore. :lol

You guys were asking about the G3 Recto? Well here's a comparison clip with G3 Recto vs a real Mesa Roadster on channel 4 in modern mode. Most of the difference is the guitar and the guy playing it. I mute very differently to Irotlas who recorded this slave clip. And you know what? EQ is all set to 5. Drive 7, presence 0.5 and master 2.00. Other than that it's the G3 RECTO2 RED MDRN with it's stock settings.

Oh my... doesn't make me miss my Roadster that much anymore. :lol

I prefer the G3 Rector over the real thing HAHAHAH

Great clip, I prefer the Axe one too, assuming it's the first half. I do like those chugs he does right at the end of the clip, but as you said that's a question of the performance/technique not the tone really.

So you've specifically been told by Cliff that my Axe II will become obsolete, and therefor useless in making music, on a certain date ?

I'm not sure you quite get what planned obsolescence means. Unless they're going to continue firmware updates and complete compatibility with Axe-Edit and other software and file formats indefinitely, then it's just the nature of the beast.

Back
Top Bottom