G3 modeling thread

Question to the beta testers: did you see any change in CPU load after the f/w install? More, same, or less CPU?

(I'm secretly hoping that Cliff's epiphany leading him to simplified algorithms, and the removal of advanced parameters that are "no longer required", have a positive impact on CPU efficiency - CPU limitations, to me, are the last remaining barrier to total bliss)

Not a beta tester but I don't think you'll notice any change in CPU % the axe has 2 CPUs for Amp and Effects+Cab.
If the newly tweaked amps are not as intensive as the old ones Cliff might be able to allocate effects to use a certain percentage or just allow one CPU to run both amp and cab.

Amp modeling runs on its own processor. Changes to the amps won't affect the CPU available for other blocks.

Interestingly enough, while running a Kemper in the AxeFxII's loop (also connected to USB), I found I could add a lot more effects to a given preset before it would go into digital clipping than I could using the Axe's amp & cab models. LOTS more, like an extra reverb & pitch block kinda' more.

I have no idea why. I agree with the first part of your statement which has been repeated on these pages countless times. But it worked. Too bad they didn't play nice together (the FAS & KPA).

As was already stated ...
8c89ed94c54861993d0f82750f2c7af2.jpg

I am ending my yearly "January Liver Appreciation Month" tonight and beer and bourbon is on the menu....

And yes, I'll probably be F5'ing it as well even though Cliff said a few weeks.

I got my Fractal Dec 2012 (I think at FW 9 ? ) and it's been an incredible ride. Im guessing that if this is a whole new "generation version" that this might be the biggest update I've been exposed to ?

Last edited:
I don't think it's going to be tonight. Cos I don't have mine yet!

There's still plenty of sizzle. In fact, the fizz has morphed into something that sizzles—and cuts through the mix—even better.

The motor thing got my attention. Some hot rods sound juggy, some purr. Both have balls, but one is more elegant. I want the latter.

View attachment 24679
The G3 version of the 5E3 Deluxe Tweed model is a hoot. Totally unpredictable, nasty, gnarly and raunchy. I couldn't stop playing it yesterday. Just like the real amp you have to be careful with your volume control and how you approach the amp so that you keep it right on the edge of playability. So cool.
That's awesome and really cruel at the same time Cliff! Now, if you really want to tease us to death, how does this one sounds with G3 technology?? ;)

Interestingly enough, while running a Kemper in the AxeFxII's loop (also connected to USB), I found I could add a lot more effects to a given preset before it would go into digital clipping than I could using the Axe's amp & cab models. LOTS more, like an extra reverb & pitch block kinda' more.
Effect count makes no difference when it comes to digital clipping. That's all about levels.

The motor thing got my attention. Some hot rods sound juggy, some purr. Both have balls, but one is more elegant. I want the latter.
With 18, you get both. Just like the real deal, some models purr like a kitten. Others can be squeezed into juggy breakup ("Hey Hey, my my"), if you abuse the knobs correctly.

Effect count makes no difference when it comes to digital clipping. That's all about levels.

I think you're thinking of output clipping. What I'm talking about is the clipping you get from CPU overload, presets in the mid 90%'s and up (when connected to USB).

I have no idea why. I agree with the first part of your statement which has been repeated on these pages countless times. But it worked. Too bad they didn't play nice together (the FAS & KPA).

Rather than "digital clipping", I assume you mean the noise caused by using too much processing power? If so, then that would be mostly due to the CAB blocks as they are done by the effects processor. Interestingly though, turning an AMP block into a SHUNT drops the CPU usage reading by about 3.5% as well. I'm guessing it has to do with the two processors not having to talk to each other maybe?

But yeah, I can't see G3 reducing the overall CPU usage on the effects processor in any meaningful way (nor would I expect it).

I think you're thinking of output clipping. What I'm talking about is the clipping you get from CPU overload, presets in the mid 90%'s and up (when connected to USB).

you said "digital clipping" which to most people is the same as output clipping. you were referring to CPU overload. that's not what most would call "clipping" of any sort.

i really wish cliff would release a duplicate copy of 17.04, but call it 18b1. mostly to appease those thinking that friday means he's supposed to release something, and also to appease those who think because the beta team has beta firmware, non-beta team members should have it too.

IIRC comp in the amp block is handled by the fx DSP... and there has to be some communication/synchronisation overhead between the two DSPs that wouldn't be present sans amp block.

I was referring to the digital clipping you originally spoke of. Overloaded processors cause signal dropouts, not digital clipping.

you said "digital clipping" which to most people is the same as output clipping. you were referring to CPU overload. that's not what most would call "clipping" of any sort.

Yes, that is what I said. I also followed it up by talking about CPU levels. It's the kind of clipping that sounds like glitching & robot burps. Is anyone unclear about what I'm talking about now?

Yes, that is what I said. I also followed it up by talking about CPU levels. It's the kind of clipping that sounds like glitching & robot burps. Is anyone unclear about what I'm talking about now?

5 years in the future...

"I just got my new Axe Fx III, and it has so much CPU overhead that I can't seem to push it in to CPU overload clipping. I need tha glitchez and robot burpz. It is an important part of my sound. Can Cliff include a CPU overload modelling block?"

it's just that the term "Digital Clipping" means something specific, relating to the chopping off of waveforms. it's why you had to follow up with talking about CPU levels, to clarify that you were referring to CPU overload.

i think we understand what you're talking about now - CPU Overload - but that doesn't change the fact that "Digital Clipping" means something else. :)

Others can be squeezed into juggy breakup ("Hey Hey, my my"), if you abuse the knobs correctly.

Abusing your knobs correctly??? Just what is it that have you been doing :lol , sorry but that line was over ripe for sarcasiusm.

Back
Top Bottom