G3 modeling thread

Well you might be right . Since the second one is the real amp it might be the real speaker as well. A moving speaker has a "living impedance".

Wow, I'm very impressed. This has just about sold me on the Axe FX II, no way you could distinguish this in a recording...

I believe the only difference is the movement of air. The breakup characteristics are similar, but you can hear the "room" more in the second clip. Even then though, I had to wait for the final results to make my decision. I would be curious to hear this same test with the Axe -> PowerAmp -> Cab vs the 50 watt Plexi to the Cab, I bet its even closer to the same.

Next feature to tackle is the modeling of how the movement of air creates and affects sound in more detail. I imagine this would take some processing power.

These kinds of threads never cease to entertain me. ;)

I do have a question even though it's kind of OT it's been brought up in this thread a few times.....what in the hell are you guys doing with your patches where you are constantly running out of CPU power? I've been using this stuff since the Ultra back on like FW4 or something and I don't think that I've ever had CPU issues on any patch I've created. Granted I typically keep things simple, but at some point it's not going to sound like a guitar anymore, right?

I do have a question even though it's kind of OT it's been brought up in this thread a few times.....what in the hell are you guys doing with your patches where you are constantly running out of CPU power? I've been using this stuff since the Ultra back on like FW4 or something and I don't think that I've ever had CPU issues on any patch I've created. Granted I typically keep things simple, but at some point it's not going to sound like a guitar anymore, right?

I think that they are afraid to step on another preset. You don't need to have everything and the kitchen sink in one preset anymore. Just put in there, what you need for that song, then move on.

Cliff, could you please include G2 technology v17 rollback option in FW18? It would be incredible to have the option to instantly go from G2-FW17 to G3-FW18. FW17 is amazing and even though FW 18 is supposed to be way better, some signals may still work better running G2 FW17 for some mixes.

Now I've seen everything. A firmware improvement, conjecture ONLY from the forum, and already we wee people complaining about how the "old" V17.04 must have been so much better, so please please please allow us to get the benefits of G3 without using G3.

Some days, I just cannot believe what I read on this forum...

I think that they are afraid to step on another preset. You don't need to have everything and the kitchen sink in one preset anymore. Just put in there, what you need for that song, then move on.

Thereby defeating the purpose of scenes?

The natural evolution of scenes was more stuff per preset.

what in the hell are you guys doing with your patches where you are constantly running out of CPU power? I've been using this stuff since the Ultra back on like FW4 or something and I don't think that I've ever had CPU issues on any patch I've created. Granted I typically keep things simple, but at some point it's not going to sound like a guitar anymore, right?

My main lead patch here has a single amp (with X/Y settings), stereo ultrares cab block, high quality reverb, delay,effects loop, looper, whammy, wah and a FuzzFace (one of the highest usage drive types) and it just tickles 90%.
It sounds very much like a guitar :) I rarely have all effects on at once but I do sometimes so I want them in the same patch.

My main lead patch here has a single amp (with X/Y settings), stereo ultrares cab block, high quality reverb, delay,effects loop, looper, whammy, wah and a FuzzFace (one of the highest usage drive types) and it just tickles 90%.

If G3 does not support Quad GigaRes in the cab block i move on to Line6, i swear! :lol

Vinyl isn't lossy. "Lossiness" refers is a characteristic of some kinds of digital compression, in which some information is deliberately thrown out to make for a smaller file size. Vinyl is analog, so the concept of lossiness doesn't apply.

This isn't true. Vinyl certainly has physical limitations to what it can reproduce. The RIAA curve exists specifically because vinyl has physical limitations and information needs to be stripped out before it's saved on vinyl for later reading-back. Vinyl is absolutely lossy; information needs to be stripped away before it can be stored on a record.

You admit it as much here:

Vinyl's limited bass response is purely mechanical. Large bass signals would make the grooves so wide that they'd cross each other, and the needle would jump tracks.

The data-stripping techniques behind MP3 psycho-acoustic "lossy" compression and the RIAA curve follow the same theory: that you can't hear it, so not having it there doesn't make a difference.

I for one, are in a constant state of admiration and awe at Cliff's work ethic and genius. Just when we think that Cliff has hit the nail on the head, he goes and blows us away with another breakthrough.

Cliff for President 2K15

Cliff - what was difference between the G3 modeling clip and the real plexi clip? Reverb? Delay? Mic? Mic placement? Versions of plexi? Etc.

Just wondering. :encouragement::encouragement:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Now I've seen everything. A firmware improvement, conjecture ONLY from the forum, and already we wee people complaining about how the "old" V17.04 must have been so much better, so please please please allow us to get the benefits of G3 without using G3.

Some days, I just cannot believe what I read on this forum...

Perhaps he was just asking for a feature?
It's not such a bad thing.

I would have just said 'you can install any firmware you like'

But....some days I can not believe what I read on this forum.

To be fair, these clips don't usually help me hear the upgrades really. Until I go into my own presets and update the amp, then I usually start to notice the differences. Its been said before but it's getting very hard to hear the changes. I'd say the FEEL is what's starting to change more and more.

Very excited to try the G3 :)

This isn't true. Vinyl certainly has physical limitations to what it can reproduce. The RIAA curve exists specifically because vinyl has physical limitations and information needs to be stripped out before it's saved on vinyl for later reading-back. Vinyl is absolutely lossy; information needs to be stripped away before it can be stored on a record.

You admit it as much here:

The data-stripping techniques behind MP3 psycho-acoustic "lossy" compression and the RIAA curve follow the same theory: that you can't hear it, so not having it there doesn't make a difference.

Hes talking about the term "lossless" which wasnt a thing until after vinyl was obsolete. Good lecture though.

Ive been up since 2am. I had real bad stomach cramps and so I decided to read this thread from the pot.
Everything came out fine as I was able to wipe with some of the posts in this thread.

Viva la G3!
LOL!!! You Rock!! :)

Staying in same preset eliminated any click, latency or gap if done right. I prefer it that way. As to complexity of preset eating up CPU, it's been discussed at length. With the new features and High Quality settings, it's very easy to push CPU into the 90's.
Wah>GEQ>Drive1, Amp1 (using Dynamics and Out Comp)> Cab (Stereo UR + High Quality Preamp)> Phaser (Classic Vibe)> Delay>Reverb (High Quality Rec Studio A) is at 90% before any modifiers have been added other than for Wah.
This isn't a complex preset by any means. Pushing 91+ starts getting sketchy, crackles etc. even before CPU warning comes on.
I can drop quality on reverb, or Cab Preamp, or use 1 Cab etc. to get CPU under control, but if you want to use the current advancements to their fullest potential, you have to really think out your presets.
Simply adding a Compressor to the above chain pushes it to 97-98. Unusable. Removing Phaser and GEQ leaves you around 88, but then you have no modulation or additional EQ in preset.
If your pedalboard had a Wah, Phaser and Delay on it, and you ran into an Amp w/Reveb and used 2 Cabs, I don't think anybody would say you had a complex rig or were an EFX junkie.
To be clear, I want to see more advancements, even if it costs CPU. I'd rather find ways to implement it than not have it. But concerns over CPU use is valid. It's not a matter of simply not wanting to step on another preset or trying to cram everything into one preset. The above is a pretty simple, realistic patch in terms of EFX.
YMMV

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom