G3 modeling thread

Cliff, what reverb settings were on the AXE clip? I really liked the reverb, sounded very natural.
Yeah I noticed right away the room ambiance was so natural I thought clip 1 was the actual real amp! Cliff, is this an actual reverb block? It sounds fabulous!!

I prefer clip 2.

There appears to be a rather pleasing upper mid resonance going on which changes how the amp clips as you dig in.

It's damn close though. Looking forward to having a play through G3 and see how it feels through the fingers.

The first take sounds more natural to me. There's more body and the notes are blooming. The second take sounds more two-dimensional.
I'd really be interested to learn which is which. Why? Because I believe in FAS' approach and would really like to help make the AFX better than it already is. If the first take is the AFX than strike my comment since I couldn't contribute anything of value anymore.

+1 :eagerness:

The first one is the model. The second is a 1972 50W Plexi. It may need some new caps though, the low end is a bit thin on it. The supply caps have been replaced but I'm wondering about some of the interstage caps. I don't know what the aging characteristics of those caps are.

The point wasn't to show the frequency response accuracy, that's trivial (you can Tone Match if you want it exact) and no two amps are exactly the same due to component tolerances. The point was to show the breakup characteristics. Listen to how the notes go "crunch, brrrrrrrr" instead of "crunch, fizzzzzzz". I've spent months researching and perfecting note decay. FWIW, you can NOT replicate that note decay using the common waveshaper techniques in the literature. It requires a very different type of clipping technology.

Well, the two clips sound really phantastic, quite the same, by the first listening. Though, with hq speakers & headphones, there is a little difference.

The breakup thing and the response and decay and... well to sum it up the "life" of the playing, this is really great, on the point and very accurate, well the real thing. As for those you can't tell anymore, which is the modeller and which the real thing. Perfect job! So your research was very successful!
As sound/tonal wise, the second one is a bit more open, it has for me a little mor "air". The first one is, to describe it simple, like there was a very slight "hi-cut". Don't know, if this is a eq thing you can dial in/out or something else... (for this, I used the Caracter knob since now on almost every amp... ;) )

But really minimally the difference. I like both of them!
Congratulations! Keep on going like this! Thanks for the pre-insight view

If you don't care, why did you buy an Axe in the first place instead of just a L6 unit or similar ?

I would think that a majority of us Axe owners care quite a bit. I know that for me to part with several thousand dollars for a processor I need to care just a smidge....

You're missing my point, Sir. I mean that they're so infinitesimally close to each other that it makes no difference. Or that I'm tone deaf, which is entirely possible after 35 years of playing guitar too loud!
In other words, I see people post here that they like the 1st clip better than the second and it must be dismaying when the point was to show that the clips are essentially identical. To the point where the faults of the original amp are translated perfectly in the model.

So clamoring that the Axe Model sounds better, which might be true but I don't hear enough difference to be able to state that, actually has a tendency to invalidate G3. What I hear is an almost perfect duplication of the original to the point where the perception of difference becomes rather meaningless.

Clearer?

The point was to show the breakup characteristics. Listen to how the notes go "crunch, brrrrrrrr" instead of "crunch, fizzzzzzz". I've spent months researching and perfecting note decay.

It's like he's Darth Vader

"Your destiny lies with me young Fizzzzzer. Embrace the Brrrrrrrr side of the tone."

Imagine guys, when will the firmware with the third generation of the simulation, the server will down !!! Something tells me ......

Is 'G3' basically Axe Fx 3? If so, freaking wow...don't know how but Cliff continuously keeps breaking ground and the curve of innovation does not seem to be leveling one bit. When realistically will the G3/Axe Fx 3 be available for purchase? This Summer? Fall? Next year? I want one NOW!!!! (Spoiled brat). Like I've said before, we are all beyond spoiled...Thanks Cliff!

Is 'G3' basically Axe Fx 3? If so, freaking wow...don't know how but Cliff continuously keeps breaking ground and the curve of innovation does not seem to be leveling one bit. When realistically will the G3/Axe Fx 3 be available for purchase? This Summer? Fall? Next year? I want one NOW!!!! (Spoiled brat). Like I've said before, we are all beyond spoiled...Thanks Cliff!

It will be a Firmware update for the II/XL.....

As I stated in a previous post I preferred the first clip. It just sounded a little better to me. I wonder if it feels better to play? Pretty impressive to me that the first clip is the Axe with G3 and the second is the real amp!

I think the most exciting aspect of this to me is that the distortion character may be more unique to each amp type and I'm really hoping that the ATTACK is more amp like. the cleaner amps might benefit a lot here. I do find that the Axe has always had this really strong/chunky attack in the notes (great for Djent/metal tones, palm mutes, etc), but I don't particularly care for it and it seems to be replicated in all of the amp models to some extent. I could partially get rid of it with a character adjustment but not completely and decreasing pick attack parameter, etc... I am looking for that super smooth Alan Holdsworth violin like lead tone that that lets the attack kind of swell in rather than sound like a heavily compressed attack on every note. Anyway, just hoping it clears up those issues somewhat.

Thanks for looking at bettering the modeling and bringing such excellence to the table!

That's the whole idea. An amp distorts different parts of the spectrum differently. It's all about getting the distortion happening in the right places.

Wow, Cliff! Thanks for your whole ability to figure this stuff out and explore new approaches! We sure appreciate all of the research/work. :)

I, too, would like to hear about how this was set up - whether both are through an IR or speaker, or if the Axe-fx was through an IR and the amp was through a cabinet, etc.

There are differences for sure. The 2nd clip (real amp) has just a bit more attack and the breakup is a little thicker sounding in the high end. That is almost getting stupidly nit picky though. The model sounds freaking fantastic. Still, I feel like in a recording situation with double tracked guitars, these small details start to become more noticeable - especially during parts with "just guitar" instead of in a full-blown mix.

Personally I have to admit if the riff in the example hadn't been that classic AC/DC one, which I've listened to for years, I probably wouldn't have picked the real one so easily. If you have that album on CD go listen to it and notice how rich and warm the tone is, It Really Has Something Special About It.

That something special is named Mutt Lange......

Also, not exactly the best example, since CD aren't exactly 100% lossless.

Less lossl than Mp3s though in any case.. and you can argue that they lose less that Vinyl (and people do!) since the bass end doesn't need to be compressed so much on CD. Of course there is loss due to sampling etc, but we've not really had a format that doesn't do this in one way or another.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom