G3 modeling thread

I really don't have much to contribute; I just wanted to show off my shiny new avatar.

And even using just my monitor speakers, I liked the first one better. :)

Attachments

• tiger.jpg
    tiger.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Here's an edit with just the bits that keep catching my ear. First sounds scratchy/fizzy to me, 2nd sounds warmer/more organic. These are in the same order as the original clip, I just cut a bunch of it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcl6p39mcue1ccn/g3 Edit.wav?dl=0

Maybe it's a cultural thing since so many here seem to prefer the first one, I've always preferred the 'British' distortion (ie Marshall) compared to the US (Boogies). Boogies have a high end fuzz that I don't like very much generally, single notes feel harsh. I've played a lot more Marshalls (I worked for the Irish distributor for 8 years) so maybe I'm just biased and didn't spend enough time with Boogies.

I am no longer cautiously optimistic. Definitely looking forward to the release!

Cliff, take your time and get it right. "Soon", is soon enough.

Here's an edit with just the bits that keep catching my ear. First sounds scratchy/fizzy to me, 2nd sounds warmer/more organic. These are in the same order as the original clip, I just cut a bunch of it out.

Maybe it's a cultural thing since so many here seem to prefer the first one, I've always preferred the 'British' distortion (ie Marshall) compared to the US (Boogies). Boogies have a high end fuzz that I don't like very much generally, single notes feel harsh. I've played a lot more Marshalls (I worked for the Irish distributor for 8 years) so maybe I'm just biased and didn't spend enough time with Boogies.

I'm a die hard Marshall guy, and I prefer the 1st clip (regardless of which way it would have come out.)

And I have ZERO love for Boogies.

It's adjustable anyways. You can set the clipping to be harder or softer as you desire. I believe I had it set to "medium" but you can set if much softer if you desire. It depends on the tubes. EL34s are softer than, say, 6L6s but it depends on the brand as well. Each model defaults to a hardness based on the power tubes used.

Personally I prefer a harder distortion since it gives low notes a more "piano-like" quality.

I hear what you're describing. It's very subtle....and on ten out of ten listens, I wouldn't notice if you weren't shoving my nose in it.

Overall, the first clip still sounds better.

That's really cool that it's adjustable. Then everyone's happy :)

I'm listening on studio monitors here (Tannoy Reveals) which they tend to be quite unforgiving.

My first impressions were that the 1st clip was rounder, sweeter & more airy or "3D" if you like) than the 2nd. As Clark Kent said "more authentic", which is a bit ironic I guess. So relieved when Cliff said that the 1st clip was G3! Looking forward to to this firmware upgrade big time now.

I listened to that clip, and my ears liked the first one as well. Then I kept playing the last chord of the first clip and the last chord of the 2nd clip.....
heard just what Cliff was talking about. That crunchy breakup sound. Sounded spot on with the amp.

Excellent work Cliff!! Very excited to play around with this new G3 technology "thingy." :)

I didn't like one more than the other. I must be tone-deaf. They sound the same to me, or so close that ... who cares?

I've spent months researching and perfecting note decay.

Dude. When? Seriously. I'm worn for the day just because I took the kids roller skating for a couple hours. And I just watched.

You're running a company, flipping out firmwares like cray, engaging customers here on the weekend, and somehow you have spare time enough for months of inventing new science of sound? Impressed and jealous. Kudos.

I didn't like one more than the other. I must be tone-deaf. They sound the same to me, or so close that ... who cares?

If you don't care, why did you buy an Axe in the first place instead of just a L6 unit or similar ?

I would think that a majority of us Axe owners care quite a bit. I know that for me to part with several thousand dollars for a processor I need to care just a smidge....

Cliff and co love what they do. We are the lucky recipient's of that hard work. Buying new cabs packs (which are fantastic ) is a great way to show our appreciation.

I really can't hear the crunch.brrrrrrr vs crunch.fzzzzzz thing. Guess my ears don't know how to listen for it.

I'm anxious though to experience the "feel" of G3, as for me, though I might not hear crunch.brrrr, my body might feel it, which tends to add a thrill party that the ears don't necessarily get invited to,

Yeah, I'm just completely amazed and impressed that we guitarists have someone like Cliff who really get's what guitar tone is all about, evolving the best musical purchase I've ever made. I played live with v17.04 last night, and having to choose sometime between that and v18 makes me feel downright lucky!

They sound the same to me, or so close that ... who cares?

Some things are best answered in song..

If Cliff wasn't so dedicated to chasing the ultimate tone we wouldn't be in the position we are now where we already have an incredible sounding system for guitar, which will sound even better soon.

I wasn't trying to pun with his surname by the way, the sentence just came out like that :)

If you don't care, why did you buy an Axe in the first place instead of just a L6 unit or similar ?

I would think that a majority of us Axe owners care quite a bit. I know that for me to part with several thousand dollars for a processor I need to care just a smidge....
I think Patzag was saying the two tones were close enough that it makes no difference.

Funny, I think I'm the only one who felt the second clip had much more "breath" to it and really prefer the real thing. I was super surprised because I felt the delta between the clips on this was actually greater than I'm used to.

Edit: this is not at all any kind of dissatisfaction with the AXE. It's the best piece of gear I've ever bought and vastly prefer it to using a tube amp. I'm excited for the next iteration! Cliff, is there a name for this "breathiness" I'm hearing on clip 2? Perhaps it's just the ambience of the room?

Last edited:
^ I don't think you're alone in that. I love my Axe too and can't see myself going back to tube amps, but is it 100% the same tone and response, no. On cleans and just-breaking-up tones I find it pretty much perfect, but for that really singing high-gain lead tone there's just something about it that's not quite there yet. I feel like the more gain you add the more a certain 'Axe character' is evident, the unit itself has a subtle, but recognizable tone. I felt it more when I got mine first, I wasn't disappointed at all, but I did hear something in there, with the high end in particular on distorted sounds, that just sounds not-quite real. I think after a while with the unit your ears get accustomed to that and you don't notice it so much, especially when it's in a mix with other instruments.

Again, I'm not complaining, it's light years beyond any other modeler and I believe and it gets more 'real' on each firmware update. For that reason I'm delighted to see that development is still ongoing.

I think you could almost draw a parallel with something like video games. As each new console generation comes out the developers have more power to play with and they can use higher detail meshes and textures, and do more sophisticated lighting effects etc. And for each one there's a leap forward in visual quality that makes newer games feel more 'photo real' and suddenly the older games shortcomings become more obvious to the eye. Same thing with the Axe Ultra, a few years ago that was the benchmark and most users would have felt that it sounded very 'realistic'. But now if you listen to one beside the latest iteration it's pretty obvious how it wasn't nearly as close as the current one is. That process will happen again I'm sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom