G3 modeling thread

90% of people are fooled if the frequency response and the volume are the same. That's the secret to a certain other product. Over time your ears start to hear subtleties especially in the character of the distortion, note attack, decay, bloom and dynamics. The average person probably can't identify the particular characteristics but eventually realizes something is different. G3 is all about those subtleties.

Here's a comparison of our reference 50W Plexi and the G3 model, not necessarily in that order.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/g3.mp3

Clip 1 sounded more open and natural, but then again I seem to be hearing more volume on the first clip vs the second clip and perhaps that has something to do with the difference.

90% of people are fooled if the frequency response and the volume are the same. That's the secret to a certain other product. Over time your ears start to hear subtleties especially in the character of the distortion, note attack, decay, bloom and dynamics. The average person probably can't identify the particular characteristics but eventually realizes something is different. G3 is all about those subtleties. Here's a comparison of our reference 50W Plexi and the G3 model, not necessarily in that order. http://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/g3.mp3

Thank you Cliff!!!

First clip is G3, it sounds fantastic!!!! Really nice work bringing out this level of perfection!!!

Against all the attention to quality ... I'm to lazy to open my home studio ( it's 2am in Italy ) and I'm listening on the shitty ipad of doom [emoji12]
I don't know if it makes difference or not but Trough this poor listening environement the first one is surely better at list for my taste . Don't know what is it ( G3 or G2 ) but I trust in Fas ...
And I'm always backin up everything so ...

90% of people are fooled if the frequency response and the volume are the same. That's the secret to a certain other product. Over time your ears start to hear subtleties especially in the character of the distortion, note attack, decay, bloom and dynamics. The average person probably can't identify the particular characteristics but eventually realizes something is different. G3 is all about those subtleties.

Here's a comparison of our reference 50W Plexi and the G3 model, not necessarily in that order.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/g3.mp3

To me the first tunes sound slight bigger, open and neater to my ears, the second tone has more clarity and a bit less distortion, so yes I vote and would prefer the second clip!

First one sounds better imo, but I think the G3 is the second one. The room tone in the first one feels more natural.

I decided to have a little bit of fun, so I took the sample that Cliff posted and split the two clips and put them on different tracks, aligned them and made sure both tracks only played the left channel and then panned them hard left and hard right, and then summed the tracks to mono on the master bus and reversed the right channel. (For those who don't know what this means: by doing this with two tracks that are played identically in perfect timing you can hear what the difference between the two tracks are, usually when doing this you just hear room tones and stuff)
This is the result:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m88etrqk2ndmjhz/plexi-g3-sample-phasereverse.mp3?dl=0

Bear in mind that this is really a pretty small difference even though it sounds like there's a lot missing on one of the tracks.
You can hear on some places that the transients of the string being plucked sounds like it's being squashed by a brickwall limiter, it sounds to me like the attack of the note is disappearing and then it jumps back up in volume very suddenly and creating that pop you're hearing.
And for the question about whether the small difference was because of Cliff's dynamic playing or if it was reamped, this little "experiment" of mine tells me that this is with almost complete certainty reamped. :)

Tone wise they both sounded the same to me except the second one sounded like it was picked a little harder. Either way if the Plexi sound like that after the update I'm stoked! Way to go cliff!

What cabs were used?

Back
Top Bottom