G3 modeling thread

As someone who is still on v14, I am genuinely intrigued. I'm really curious to hear how different G3 will sound to my current firmware. Looking forward to it Cliff and co :)

As long as we're all still speculating on what G3 is all about one can only wonder whether Cliff has figured out a clever way for the power amp model to interact with the cab impedance automatically. Thereby ensuring that the power amp behavior is an accurate representation of THAT amp plugged into THAT cab. Don't know if it's even possible but would be cool.

In Cliff we trust!... Excited to hear what it sounds like!

Okay, confess am a little nervous about removing the amp "voicing" options/parameter, because I really do use those often to help amps sit in a mix, I'm especially fond of the vintage setting for example for older amps to smooth them out...

But perhaps if Cliff could eventually share what the precise equivalent EQ settings/internal tweaks are for each of those "amp voicings" and post to the forum, we could all can retro fit backwards and not lose anything those voicings brought to the party... but if not, I understand the price of progress...

Great time to be alive and a Fractal Audio AXE FX II User!

So Cliff, first of all...OMG, awesome, thanks you for your dedication and willingness to continue to innovate!!
Second, if there are parameters that are no longer needed, will that achieve any headway towards less CPU usage?? Just curious...
Third, thanks again!!!!

I was curious about that also. I wonder if Cliff found a way to achieve better results with less calculations, leading to the modeling not hitting the processor as hard.

I was curious about that also. I wonder if Cliff found a way to achieve better results with less calculations, leading to the modeling not hitting the processor as hard.

Since the amp modeling has its own exclusive cpu I would think it doesn't matter to patch cpu levels.

I thought it was a great idea especially if it's no longer needed. I don't know shyt about amp design but if I need to cut highs or lows I go to the cab block.
One of my Rigs is SS power amp to Guitar Cab. So presets for that rig have no Cab block i.e. that doesn't work.

Anyway PEQ to the rescue. But: Just Sayin' not everyone runs the same rig.

I'm willing to adjust however necessary if the latest stuff is clearly better; though. Loving FAS and their efforts to constantly push the envelope.

In Cliff we trust!... Excited to hear what it sounds like!

Okay, confess am a little nervous about removing the amp "voicing" options/parameter, because I really do use those often to help amps sit in a mix, I'm especially fond of the vintage setting for example for older amps to smooth them out...

But perhaps if Cliff could eventually share what the precise equivalent EQ settings/internal tweaks are for each of those "amp voicings" and post to the forum, we could all can retro fit backwards and not lose anything those voicings brought to the party...

I'm with you on this one. Voicings is a very useful and practical feature.

I have a great deal of faith in Cliff's ears, instrumentation and understanding of how things work. If he says you don't need a particular adjustment, I'm thinking you probably don't. It may require that you set things up a bit differently, but I'd wager that it'll be easier and better.

I'm the only one that is cautiously optimistic about this?

Remember, G2 went through some real growing pains before it stabilized. In some of the early G2 FW versions the higher gain amps sounded really bad, and in some other FW updates the clean and Fender amps had way too much gain. It really wasn't until FW7 that I thought the AxeII sounded better than the Standard/Ultra. FW9 was another big step and the current FW is outstanding, IMO.

Regardless, I'm sure that I'll be updating this the day it's released. Just too hard to resist...

Because it's an essential control when you play with a real cab, particularly the Lowcut, you can adjust simply without modifying or sacrificing your tone.
Lot of my friend use it, so you must try it.
Have you tried the other hi- and low-cut in the amp block? That one is available even for people who turn off power amp modeling.

One of my Rigs is SS power amp to Guitar Cab. So presets for that rig have no Cab block i.e. that doesn't work.

Anyway PEQ to the rescue. But: Just Sayin' not everyone runs the same rig.

I'm willing to adjust however necessary if the latest stuff is clearly better; though. Loving FAS and their efforts to constantly push the envelope.

I'll be honest I wasn't thinking about amp and cab setups when I posted that, I haven't run that way in quite a few years so I do forget about that side of things but I do see your point! Having shelved EQ options in the amp parameters is a quick and handy way to cut lows and highs. If needed at some point maybe a PEQ could be added as an option to the EQ tab of the amp parameters section, though with the graphic EQ that is there already it does have adjustable Q granted still not as precise as a PEQ.

The whole point might be moot anyway after the new firmware is updated :? I guess we just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom