G3 modeling thread

Abusing your knobs correctly??? Just what is it that have you been doing :lol , sorry but that line was over ripe for sarcasiusm.
You should be honored that you're talking to a guy who has plural abusable knobs to begin with. :)

Abusing your knobs correctly??? Just what is it that have you been doing :lol , sorry but that line was over ripe for sarcasiusm.
Sometimes the literal meanings of words and phrases can be inaccurate or paradoxical, yet accurately convey the essence of meaning. This is the realm of poets, philosophers and musicians trying to describe music and tone.

Sorry chris, not getting upset at you or anyone else. Just the speed of this thread, like four times I got called out before correcting myself.

Anyhow, I thought that was an odd discovery.

@Rook: lol, right? I should keep the kpa so its vintage when everyone wants that sweet digital cli... I mean dropout tone! :D

Sorry chris, not getting upset at you or anyone else. Just the speed of this thread, like four times I got called out before correcting myself.

Anyhow, I thought that was an odd discovery.

@Rook: lol, right? I should keep the kpa so its vintage when everyone wants that sweet digital cli... I mean dropout tone! :D
yup no prob, just wanted to explain why so many "called you out" like that.

curious - can you do the same test but don't use the kpa, just delete the cab block, but still use an amp block and all the effects. the cab block takes a TON of CPU. as said above, remember there are 2 CPU in there - one is totally for amps. the other is for everything else. so it's not that the Kemper is allowing anything that the axe doesn't - you'd get the same with anything substituting the amp and cab, including a real amp and cab hehe.

you basically used the Axe-Fx for FX only and this will obviously allow more effect blocks to be used since Amp and (mostly) Cab blocks aren't present, taking up CPU.

I'll have to try that just to see exactly how far I was able to push it before.
Yes, I agree that no amp & cab was the key to getting so many more fx than I otherwise could. I was just shocked at how many! That cab block must be a serious resource hog... stereo ultrares, and now pre characheristics... not hard to see why.

I hate to be the weird one, but you know whenever people talk about getting rid of "Fizz" it worries me a little. I like amps that have what I like to think of as 'Sizzle' which (having two z's and all ;) ) seems to overlap with what a lot of consider Fizz. A lot of times I will dig amps (Rectos, certain Marshall mods) that people will say "too fizzy".

Amps that lack any of this 'sizzle' always seem like the high end is insufficiently harmonically rich to me and I have sold real amps/gear because they didn't have this before.

Anyway I have supreme faith in Cliff and co's judgement since they have not let me down for years now, but I like I said, I don't like talk of high freq distortion 'fizz' as something to be completely eliminated... esp if it exists in the real amps. :D
nothing to worry. I like my amps sizzling through the mix as well and it's all there, but the nice sizzle, not the fizzy sizzle we don't want. amp choice is gonna have a much bigger role than before because they all react slightly different now. exactly like a Rectifier has a completely different structure in the way its distortion sounds compared to how an old Tweed unfolds its distortion on a ringing note.
and it's true what Cliff said about the Tweed. now it's doing exactly that uncontrolled "analog" madness we (or some of us) love about it...

I'll have to try that just to see exactly how far I was able to push it before.
Yes, I agree that no amp & cab was the key to getting so many more fx than I otherwise could. I was just shocked at how many! That cab block must be a serious resource hog... stereo ultrares, and now pre characheristics... not hard to see why.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/94715-axe-fxii-cpu-chart-firmware-17-03-a.html

according to this chart (which unfortunately will probably change with each FW update), a cab block can use up to 33% CPU (stereo ultra res with mic and pre)! that's over 1/3 available CPU with 90% being the max usable.

i personally use Normal Res Cabs (9 CPU) and have room for a bunch of things, but i could definitely use just a bit more.

here's a screenshot of my old-ish layout:
NKt2FE9.jpg

this has a top row for electric, bottom row for piezo/acoustic and a small section for Vocal Delay as an insert effect. this was definitely pushing it at 90%.

i don't have a pic, but now i took out the Vocal effects since my x32 rack mixer will handle that. rotary is gone too - that was just my 1 slot for silly effect which changed all the time (i was just testing the rotary at that time, i still can't make it usable for me). with the CPU that gave back, i now put a Drive pedal for the first time ever. the Ruckus just is PERFECT "distortion" for slight breakup and i have the drive at 0% haha.

but that puts me right back at 90%. i'd love to add just one more thing to my electric line - a Phaser block for the uni-vibe sound. i really miss that pedal!

Chris, that's insane. I never have gotten remotely close to that many blocks, but I also insist on running the highest quality settings.

Sometimes the literal meanings of words and phrases can be inaccurate or paradoxical, yet accurately convey the essence of meaning. This is the realm of poets, philosophers and musicians trying to describe music and tone.

I get it... just thought I would have a lash aeh, come on man lighten up

All I can say is that the wait may drive you crazy but this is worth the wait and the crazy. Don't get too hyped up; this isn't hype.

Everything just glues together naturally - the pick attack, the bloom, the push, the tail. I personally really thought - I want to stress this, really, thought we were near or at the azimuth with the development of the amp modeling. I've been around Fractal gear since 2007. Before the Ultra existed. I've used the gear since then because it works. It sounds great. It's an incredible tool and a blank slate to create your wildest dream rigs in the grid. The amp tones have worked for me since way back in 2007. I'm always sceptical that things can legitimately be improved on the amp modeling; and as one of the longer tenured beta testers... I've seen a LOT of firmwares over the years. This new v.18 for the AFXII - even in beta - is impressive and just natural. That word keeps hitting me as I dial up my tones.

A metaphor that works for me personally is that Ferrari keeps improving their cars year in and year out. Does not diminish the worth or achievement of the prior models they made. With the AFXII - now how many years into it's production run? gets similar treatment... again. Fractal isn't like Ferrari in at least one regard - Cliff works faster... and if you own an AFXII... you get new firmware developments both large and small... for free after you've bought the unit.

That's as much as I can share on it. I'm a Fender/Marshall/Vox guy at heart in the main; I am impressed. Muchly so.

With 18, you get both. Just like the real deal, some models purr like a kitten. Others can be squeezed into juggy breakup ("Hey Hey, my my"), if you abuse the knobs correctly.

Nice. I'm awful eager...... (looks shyly down.....)

That's where the money is, but it's not nearly as fun as a good, old-fashioned private freak show.

Yer fuckin turnin me on!

I personally really thought - I want to stress this, really, thought we were near or at the azimuth with the development of the amp modeling.

I'm a little agape here. I didn't think it could change in such a large amount any more. But hey, here we are!

Such a good time to be a Fractal gear owner.

Scott, I really hope you're correct regarding the Marshalls. I have been loving me some of the Plexis in the Axe for a while now, so I'm nervously excited about the upcoming changes!

Back
Top Bottom