G3 modeling thread

1195749-diethreaddie_zpsa089ae56.jpg

Just start talking about god, politics or post pic's of naked woman and it will die trust me! well maybe not naked women those will just get deleted :lol . Either way it's definitely time for one of these...
deadhorse.gif

G3 (beta) definitively is a remarkable improvement, even though I (we) thought it couldn’t get better anymore.
No need to tweak intensively after updating. Based on the beta, current settings will be fine.

So what’s improved exactly? I can’t even define it exactly.
To me the high frequencies sound even more natural. In addition to the delight of hitting a power chord and hearing and feeling the more noticeable kerrang and decay.
It will cause heated discussion on other boards (“more real") but the Axe-Fx’s models are yet again closer to the originals.

And it’s apparent across all so far “treated” amps. Not just the distorted amps (Trainwreck, yummie!), the Fenders as well.
For some reason I’ve never bonded with the Double Verb. This has changed.
And oh my, the Vox-based models...

NDA in effect. Please don't ask details about specifics.

Last edited:
G3 (beta) definitively is a remarkable improvement, even though I (we) thought it couldn’t get better anymore.
No need to tweak intensively after updating. Based on the beta, current settings will be fine.

So what’s improved exactly? I can’t even define it exactly.
To me the high frequencies sound even more natural. In addition to the delight of hitting a power chord and hearing and feeling the more noticeable kerrang and decay.
It will cause heated discussion on other boards (“more real") but the Axe-Fx’s models are yet again closer to the originals.

And it’s apparent across all so far “treated” amps. Not just the distorted amps (Trainwreck, yummie!), the Fenders as well.
For some reason I’ve never bonded with the Double Verb. This has changed.
And oh my, the Vox-based models...

NDA in effect. Please don't ask details about specifics.

Thanks for the insight Yek! [emoji2][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distortion character has definitely changed in G3. The top end sounds less fizzy and more like a motor. It's been sweetened and roughed up at the same time, and it sits even better in e mix.

I like that description!

I can't wait to hear how this effects modern high gainer tones. Sounds like fun is coming

Just as impressive. The one I played on last night was every bit the same sound as I used to sit in front of when I worked in a music store. Detailed, open... this is going to be an amazing update ! ( and just when I thought it couldn't get much better than 17.04 ! )

Distortion character has definitely changed in G3. The top end sounds less fizzy and more like a motor. It's been sweetened and roughed up at the same time, and it sits even better in e mix.

I hate to be the weird one, but you know whenever people talk about getting rid of "Fizz" it worries me a little. I like amps that have what I like to think of as 'Sizzle' which (having two z's and all ;) ) seems to overlap with what a lot of consider Fizz. A lot of times I will dig amps (Rectos, certain Marshall mods) that people will say "too fizzy".

Amps that lack any of this 'sizzle' always seem like the high end is insufficiently harmonically rich to me and I have sold real amps/gear because they didn't have this before.

Anyway I have supreme faith in Cliff and co's judgement since they have not let me down for years now, but I like I said, I don't like talk of high freq distortion 'fizz' as something to be completely eliminated... esp if it exists in the real amps. :D

I hate to be the weird one, but you know whenever people talk about getting rid of "Fizz" it worries me a little. I like amps that have what I like to think of as 'Sizzle' which (having two z's and all ;) ) seems to overlap with what a lot of consider Fizz. A lot of times I will dig amps (Rectos, certain Marshall mods) that people will say "too fizzy". Amps that lack any of this 'sizzle' always seem like the high end is insufficiently harmonically rich to me and I have sold real amps/gear because they didn't have this before.

We've come full circle. Back to the early days of the Pod, all the discussions were about hearing fizz, eliminating it, buying add-on gear to remove it, etc. Now we're worrying about not having enough. Somewhere in there we've arrived at our destination. I'm confident we'll have all the sizzle and purr the real amps do, plus we have plenty of knobs to tweak things to take it back or forward to taste. Great times for all of us.

We've come full circle. Back to the early days of the Pod, all the discussions were about hearing fizz, eliminating it, buying add-on gear to remove it, etc. Now we're worrying about not having enough. Somewhere in there we've arrived at our destination. I'm confident we'll have all the sizzle and purr the real amps do, plus we have plenty of knobs to tweak things to take it back or forward to taste. Great times for all of us.

Sigh... Well aware of this, my first modeler was a Rockman, have participated in many discussions with regard to managing high end artifacts in early gen modelers, and agree wrt expectations for things to be more awesomer, realer, and fully expecting to have my cake and eat it too, as usual w/ FAS.

Just saying it's hard to hear someone say "you know that thing you sort of like but no else seems to? It's totally gone now!" and not go "uh oh". It's just new FW jitters.

Last edited:
I hate to be the weird one, but you know whenever people talk about getting rid of "Fizz" it worries me a little. I like amps that have what I like to think of as 'Sizzle' which (having two z's and all ;) ) seems to overlap with what a lot of consider Fizz. A lot of times I will dig amps (Rectos, certain Marshall mods) that people will say "too fizzy".
There's still plenty of sizzle. In fact, the fizz has morphed into something that sizzles—and cuts through the mix—even better.

I think that it sometimes comes down to the nomenclature that we ( as guitarists ) use ....

I owned a POD, then an XT, etc; etc; .... I was probably one of the people complaining the loudest about the "fizz" ....

But now after all these years, what I think I was actually hearing ( and complaining ) about was in fact the digital aliasing ....

I just didn't have the "ears" to recognize it as such, and then describe it properly or accurately ....

I say this because as the XT development went forward and the aliasing was reduced ( never eliminated ), that's when people began to complain about the "highs" sounding unnatural ....

Cilff has figured out how to cure the aliasing, but is otherwise leaving the natural high frequency content intact ... !

I'm stoked for v18.00 !

Back
Top Bottom