G3 modeling thread

Did Cliff say if G3 will be any less CPU intensive? I'm speculating a chance of this, given a ground-up re-write of modelling with a bunch of parameters removed.

Sorry if that was covered.. might have missed it somewhere in the thousands of G3 posts :)

It's adjustable anyways. You can set the clipping to be harder or softer as you desire. I believe I had it set to "medium" but you can set if much softer if you desire. It depends on the tubes. EL34s are softer than, say, 6L6s but it depends on the brand as well. Each model defaults to a hardness based on the power tubes used.

Personally I prefer a harder distortion since it gives low notes a more "piano-like" quality.

This inspired me to re-examine the 'hardness' control in the poweramp, since 'Piano-Like' is a great way to describe the kind of tone I want from my amps. I had played around with it before but I hadn't heard much difference between the settings, though this was with patches with the master not turned up very high.

Yesterday I called up the Bogner Uberschall model which has a super ballsy, heavy, saturated sound but it didn't seem to have the right attack... I just changed the poweramp hardness to 'hard' and... goddamn, perfect! Subtle, but certainly affects the character of the distortion in a very pleasing way, in my opinion.

I'm starting to care less and less about firmwares changing how things sound. It seems every three days or so I have an "a-ha!" moment where I figure something out and make an even better patch.

I'm starting to care less and less about firmwares changing how things sound. It seems every three days or so I have an "a-ha!" moment where I figure something out and make an even better patch.

Yes, while I love our updates, it's to the point where it's all just gravy now. Once you figure out what works FOR YOU, then it's pretty simple to dial in. Problem is, those things will vary wildly (and why I roll my eyes a hair when people ask "what do I tweak for a good sound"?

That doesn't mean I still won't be in adrenaline mode when 18/G3 hits.

After reading this thread, I don't think that I'm ready for FW18 yet.

In fact, to quote one of the greatest bands ever: "She's only seventeen. Daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me." :devilish:

1195749-diethreaddie_zpsa089ae56.jpg

Wow, lots of speculation. This is the state of things so far:

G3 is all-new amp modeling. There are no other changes to the firmware so the effects, routing, etc. stay the same. But the amp modeling is a complete "reboot" based on this analysis thingy I wrote that learns an amp and extracts the pertinent data.

At this point I have only ported several dozen models to G3. It's a LOT of work because it involves opening each amp and doing all the measurements and then doing the analysis matches, etc. It will be several more weeks to port the remaining models.

Does it sound drastically different? No, but it does sound better. Some amps are noticeably better especially the Plexis, Rectos, 5150s and the Trainwreck. The Rectos are very good now. They're smooth yet aggressive at the same time if that makes any sense.

Many parameters have been removed as they are not compatible. Among them: PA Lowcut, PA Hicut, Character Type, Character Freq, Character Amt, Character Q, Voicing, et. al. The modeling doesn't need them.

So stop banging on your F5 key and get back to talking about deflated footballs.

Question: would the "noticeably better" Plexi also affect the Friedman BE/HBE models, seeing as they're Plexi-ish amps?

Back
Top Bottom