G3 FW18 mini review

bomb dropped.

Now when you post that I get all excited because I think the firmware has been released. And then I get so sad when it hasn't been. (Not because I need anything to sound better but because I like playing around with new stuff.)

Really really dig your bands stuff! I am a Boston guy as well so let me know where I can go to check you guys out.

Hey guys I will try to answer all the questions - No nothing I did not like about it, exact opposite, instantly loved it. Volume on my RCF was varied from low to more than gig volume (so super quiet to crazy loud). Headphones sorry no clue, my setup is not tweaked for that so I can't comment but I would think if it is good for you now then it will be smoother and warmer after the upgrade. Was right out of the gate for me, tweaking was no big deal, reset amp, set the gain, pulled back the depth moved the amp master around a bit, then just a few tweaks with treb/mid/bass. No advanced parameters were tweaked. Stuck with same cabs. I am OK with tweaking my presets with firmware upgrades, I get some people's frustration but if you are happy then don't upgrade. I will put the time in to get the benefits of the firmware upgrades. I stick to one clean, one mid dirty, one higher gain but still more like a rythym tone and use scenes and " boost pedals" for solo's so I tweak like three presets and I am done. Many times I have upgraded and spent 20 minutes and then off to a gig. I always make sure not to have too much bass/depth and use the high/low cut in the cab block.

Ha ha OK the who is this guy questions are funny, but here goes long time fractal user (on the artist page) lots of my actual amps are in the axe (Carol Ann Triptik, Bogner Shiva, Blue Face Diezel VH4, Carol Ann 1-12 cab). Long time Carol Ann, Fractal and Tom Anderson artist, live in Boston, more of a lurker than a poster but do a lot of studio and live stuff. Here is a link to my original band's music.

https://soundcloud.com/fightingfriday/tracks

Hope this helps you guys are in for a treat with G3

It's an acquired taste. The key to an SLO100 is to run the MV high so that the mids thicken up. Otherwise it's a shrill mess. In certain contexts with the right IR it can be a cool sound.

I would love to see the Soldano Decatone modeled!

It's an acquired taste. The key to an SLO100 is to run the MV high so that the mids thicken up. Otherwise it's a shrill mess. In certain contexts with the right IR it can be a cool sound.

Thanks for the tip - I'll take some time to try and make friends with it.

100% agreed. That was the behavior of the physical amp. I could never get a good sound out of until it was at paint-peeling volume, but hooboy did it sound amazing!

Yes, I cannot bear it if the MV is less than 6/10 (I'm a high gain guy, but I also like high MV, so the sweet spot might be around 4/5 for you guys)

Really enjoying the clips. To me there's always been this slightly 'papery' sound to the high end on high gain patches in the Axe, seems like that is reduced or gone in FW18, great!

I am glad to see this response. Reality should be the final arbiter on this sort of thing, IMHO. Save idealizations and personal preferences for the FAS custom models, et al.

Agreed, with the note that I LOVE the FAS models and hope Cliff keeps making more like that :)

All I could think about while hearing the SLO clip was all of the possibilities this firmware will have in the Van Halen tone chasing arena. The grind I heard in that clip would be so awesome in a Plexi with the variac and all of the other goodies. :)

Back
Top Bottom