G3 FW18 mini review

Just congrats to fas team & cliff
And again thanks for the dedication to customers :
a real value today.
Period.

Yeah I have to agree, you have to love any company that puts their existing customers base first above the bottom line. It's not like they are getting more money out of most as we all already have and Axe Fx. But it just doesn't seem to matter. This is one the only company's I have ever seen that just does the right thing by their customers. It's just amazing in this day and age when every company is so worried about the bottom line that existing customers get nickel and dimed. It's so refreshing it really is.

Actually works to Fractal's advantage in the long run. I lurked on the forum and watched a couple of firmware cycles and the excitement was infectious. I wanted to be a part of that. It wasn't "why" I bought, but it sure helped me get past the sticker price. If the Access Virus Ti had that kind of dev cycle, I would have sold a bunch of stuff and picked one up. That's not a jab at Kemper, by the way. I still kinda want one. It just isn't looking as cutting edge as it did ten years ago.

OMFG! I just got back from rehearsal in which I decided to risk the v18 beta. I literally picked 5 G3 model amps for 5 new presets right before I walked out of the door. I set them all to defaults, got to rehearsal and set the levels, tweaked a couple of tone knobs and that was it.

I played through my Matrix 1000 into a cheap 4x12 Marshall at the studio and at one point with the Fred HB I thought the speakers were going to blow out the cab. There was soooo much chunk on the low end and the top end is much more to my liking, I always found myself lowering the presence/treble knobs as I was finding things harsh rather than crunchy but not today, today was different, it sounded amazing and that was with 5 amp models with next to no tweaking at all.

The mind boggles with what this will actually do with some dialling in, tone of the gods! In fact I can't think of a real amp I've played that sounded or felt better. I bang on every time there is a major change the the amp modelling but this is different, I think we've finally reach 200% realer!

From memory the G3 amps were

Fender Verb
Marshall 1959slp Jump
JCM800 (previously shied away from due to harshness)
Fred BE
6160 Block (I think... one of the two anyway) - This amp is just crazy with the G3, melted my face off!

Didn't try and Recto's at band volume but they sound bitch'n through my studio monitors at home.

Amazing!!!

"I always found myself lowering the presence/treble knobs as I was finding things harsh rather than crunchy but not today, today was different, it sounded amazing".

Fantastic, that was what i was alluding to in my "gig level" post earlier. Problems are always immediately dismissed as Fletcher Munson effect with the solution of just cutting lows/highs and add mids to correct (although useful advice for those who don't know of the FM effect), but that never fully sorts things out for me; there's something else within (the current) digital realm which is exacerbated at volume but isn't so harsh at low volume. It looks like G3 is going to help in that respect. Thanks for that!

"I always found myself lowering the presence/treble knobs as I was finding things harsh rather than crunchy but not today, today was different, it sounded amazing".

Fantastic, that was what i was alluding to in my "gig level" post earlier. Problems are always immediately dismissed as Fletcher Munson effect with the solution of just cutting lows/highs and add mids to correct (although useful advice for those who don't know of the FM effect), but that never fully sorts things out for me; there's something else within (the current) digital realm which is exacerbated at volume but isn't so harsh at low volume. It looks like G3 is going to help in that respect. Thanks for that!

Yeah, it's something that I've just lived with as on the whole I just tweaked it down. I did usually end up favouring tones on the dull side and these didn't really cut so well in the band mix. It seems that now you can raise these as you would a real amp and also the improved dynamics mean you will punch through the band mix even more that before, single note palm mutes on some of the solo's last night were chunky as hell!

As Ron eluded to. Cliff has stated it will take several weeks. It's a painstaking process. He has to remove the chassis from each head and do his magic. Not to mention there were also some amps that were loaned to him so he will either have to borrow them again or find one for purchase. One of my favorite amps in the Axe is the Swart (Nuclear Tone). I kind of remembered that he had that one loaned to him and asked him about it. No prob... he confirmed it was a loner and that he went out and bought one to do the G3 model. We are so fortunate to have that kind of dedication from a company to its customers and at no cost. Amazing!

Patience is definitely warranted. And you also have to figure in the Super Bowl hangover. :)

Hot damn cobbler... that's good news. That's my favorite amp in the Axe FX.. I've been looking for a used one for a while now (actually want the Pro model Greg V helped design).. one of the only amps I still want to add to my collection. This made my day... thanks for posting..

I lurked on the forum and watched a couple of firmware cycles and the excitement was infectious. I wanted to be a part of that.

Same thing happened to me. I could see how the evolution of the AxeFX (through FW) was exciting and had a lot of room for development. YouTube vids and playing around with the old AxeEdit (with no AxeFX) forced me to break out the plastic! This thing was absolutely addictive right from the beginning. Now, it's 2.5 years later and my knowledge and experience combined with the incredible FW developments has turned into Guitar Heaven!

It means that he signed a Non Disclosure Agreement that puts restrictions on what he can say and do. If he violates the NDA he can get into some trouble, like fines for damages and stuff like that. good luck getting the beta before it's released. You need to be a FAS beta tester and I don't know what you need to do to be accepted, but I bet it's a lot more work than us unsuspecting joes think.

Yes... Testing to ensure that it is as little flaws as possible comes through to the release.

It means that he signed a Non Disclosure Agreement that puts restrictions on what he can say and do. If he violates the NDA he can get into some trouble, like fines for damages and stuff like that. good luck getting the beta before it's released. You need to be a FAS beta tester and I don't know what you need to do to be accepted, but I bet it's a lot more work than us unsuspecting joes think.

I'm not a beta tester.

But FW18 is in the hands of the beta test team from what I am reading on here.

Back
Top Bottom