G3 FW18 mini review

100% agreed. That was the behavior of the physical amp. I could never get a good sound out of until it was at paint-peeling volume, but hooboy did it sound amazing!

+1. Saw a band play in a SMALL club, and he played an SLO with 4x12. It was STOOPID loud, but it sounded incredible.

+1. Saw a band play in a SMALL club, and he played an SLO with 4x12. It was STOOPID loud, but it sounded incredible.

In my experience, I never had to crank it to get it sounding good. I had it boosted with an overdrive, cranked the presence knob and it sounded great. Never went past 4 on the volume.

How could anyone be disappointed with Cliff and the FAS team? They so far exceed my expectations, and do so consistently, I just cannot comprehend being disappointed. When future music historians reflect back on this time, Cliff will be thought of in the same way that we now think of Leo Fender, Ted McCarty, George Fullerton and Les Paul. IMHO, FAS has moved the bar like that. I for one will gladly wait patiently for Cliff and the FAS team to do their thing. I am 100% confident that the result will absolutely be worth the wait.

hmmm... i'm going to be devil's advocate and say no.

Not because I don't think Cliff deserves it, but it would only happen in a different era.

An era where guitar was something of interest to the public. Keep in mind, current music does not feature much guitar. Guitar, for the most part, has become a texture of sound and not the up and coming artform we witnessed in the 50s-80s....

It's impossible to see it when you're in it, but I think you're on to something here.

I loved my SLO. I really loved it. On 6. Anything less than that and it was far less remarkable. It's like a Twin Reverb in that regard - you don't get the magic until your ears start bleeding a little.

I loved my SLO. I really loved it. On 6. Anything less than that and it was far less remarkable. It's like a Twin Reverb in that regard - you don't get the magic until your ears start bleeding a little.

Never had an SLO but I gotta say every good Twin I've plugged into has sounded great at every volume. One of the few amps I can say that about actually.

So when is this firmware going to drop? I've taken an oath and refuse to rock out until the power of Firmware 18 is firmly within my hands and I can release and onslaught of Fractal mayhem.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...?artist=Nels Cline amp Julian Lage&album=Room

Not quite yet, but I get what you're saying.

hmmm... i'm going to be devil's advocate and say no.

Not because I don't think Cliff deserves it, but it would only happen in a different era.

An era where guitar was something of interest to the public. Keep in mind, current music does not feature much guitar. Guitar, for the most part, has become a texture of sound and not the up and coming artform we witnessed in the 50s-80s....

So when is this firmware going to drop? I've taken an oath and refuse to rock out until the power of Firmware 18 is firmly within my hands and I can release and onslaught of Fractal mayhem.

Cliff said last week that it would take 'a couple of weeks' to pull information out of all the amps. Ask again after Valentines day.

Not jones'n for it yet...17.04 is twirling my beanie...

As Ron eluded to. Cliff has stated it will take several weeks. It's a painstaking process. He has to remove the chassis from each head and do his magic. Not to mention there were also some amps that were loaned to him so he will either have to borrow them again or find one for purchase. One of my favorite amps in the Axe is the Swart (Nuclear Tone). I kind of remembered that he had that one loaned to him and asked him about it. No prob... he confirmed it was a loner and that he went out and bought one to do the G3 model. We are so fortunate to have that kind of dedication from a company to its customers and at no cost. Amazing!

Patience is definitely warranted. And you also have to figure in the Super Bowl hangover. :)

Well, I'd rather Cliff work his magic and wait awhile than get a few changes. Seems like this one is going to be a real kick in the pants so I'm going to have to practice patience. :)

Release the KRAKEN!

Close?

Businessandkragle.jpg

"He went out and bought one to do the G3 model..."

Completely blown away.....

Yeah I have to agree, you have to love any company that puts their existing customers base first above the bottom line. It's not like they are getting more money out of most as we all already have and Axe Fx. But it just doesn't seem to matter. This is one the only company's I have ever seen that just does the right thing by their customers. It's just amazing in this day and age when every company is so worried about the bottom line that existing customers get nickel and dimed. It's so refreshing it really is.

Back
Top Bottom