G3 Dumble and Cliff's Impression

Brother Cliff speaketh the truth!

I mentioned about the Carol Ann OD2. It's all there. Flipping great!

Then I loaded up my ODS100 preset... Mmm hmm. Yup.

That was the inspiriation - the first few notes had this middle honk and nice mid low bump until 0:11 (then the usual Herring madness begins, before he had this fat bluesy tone I truly adore)......that was the tone reference.

(sorry but this is just one of those posts) YOU JUST MADE ME DISCOVER JIMMY HERRING! I'VE NEVER ANYTHING FROM HIM BEFORE. THANK YOU!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

Thank you! :)

The last example is pretty old - made with a Fractal AxeFx Std. back in 2009 (Firmware 7.04)

There are a few other examples with that tone....

Tune88 by Jeff Lorber....(featured me & myself on guitar and drums - played with a Strat)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100561953/tune88ext.mp3 (February 2009)

Another jam:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100561953/steffjam.mp3 (2009 - played with my Gibson ES-347)

later in 2011, I still working with that tone...different guitar, different Fw, different sound.....

back then, I was searching for my fav tone by guitarist Jimmy Herring, which used a Fender Amp with a H&K TubeFactor pedal in front....

Are both of these you? (great playing by the way, if they are!!)

Asking because one of them the person is playing lefty, and in the other clip righty?

Are both of these you? (great playing by the way, if they are!!)

Asking because one of them the person is playing lefty, and in the other clip righty?

Both me, yes!.....one is recorded with a camera, the first recorded with my iMac G5 which has a reversed iSight camera built-in (this was a bug, later removed on the intel Mac models)....

@ lano2: 105

My re-reworked Boogie StudioPreamp (updated in july 2015) - d-style on stereoids (3x12AX7 only for the drive circuit) , sheer endless sustain..... can quantum equal this? -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100561953/MesaWooly.m4v

out of a preamp into a valvestate poweramp....no power amp distortion needed ;)

Cheers
P

PS: It's not a competition, it's just fun...... ;)

Last edited:
What's your decibel level in that clip? It sounds like there is some acoustic feedback in there, not just pure sustain from the preamp.

Nice mod to that Boogie! Sounds great.

What's your decibel level in that clip? It sounds like there is some acoustic feedback in there, not just pure sustain from the preamp.

Nice mod to that Boogie! Sounds great.

Thanks!

It's pretty low volume - I can talk while play and the camera still catches my voice perfectly.....the sustain is some kind of feedback, but not the " usual feedback into overtones", it's a (perfect) interaction of string resonance and the loudspeaker. You can hold the note and let it ring for minutes......
I beg for a video at the AxeFx 2015 and 2014 since quite some time, where I demonstrated my little 5W amp which have this feature also to a crowd, showcasing the sustain feature......there were some people recording this, but I never got the clips.... *bummer*

Attachments

• AXEfest0781.jpg
    AXEfest0781.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 26
My re-reworked Boogie StudioPreamp (updated in july 2015) - d-style on stereoids (3x12AX7 only for the drive circuit) , sheer endless sustain..... can quantum equal this? -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100561953/MesaWooly.m4v

out of a preamp into a valvestate poweramp....no power amp distortion needed ;)

Cheers
P

PS: It's not a competition, it's just fun...... ;)

Really nice.
I just have two questions :
What's that switch that you flip that introduces extra gain?
And what speakers do you have in that custom audio cab(that I assume your playing through in this clip?

Thanks!

Speaker are Celestion V30s - I voice all my amps to V30s.....like them and most people play them too ;)
The switch is a gain boost which partially bypasses the tonestack and also changes the gain OD circuit at the same time, for a super higain d-style sound. This preamp has now two Overdrive knobs, Input Gain and Master....the first Overdrive circuit makes the sound creamier, while the 2nd knob makes it grainier....you can mix both as you like it best....
BTW: I use the graphic EQ with all fader down as a volume control to equal the levels between clean and drive modes, since there is an auto feature by Boogie only activates the g-eq on the drive channel.... ;)

Last edited:
I still feel like my main obstacle is the cabinet IRs; I'm using OH mixes now, and the 4x12 IRs sound good, but I have yet to hear a really great 2x12 open back IR with the G12-65 gnarl to it and the lack of boxiness.

I agreed; that's why I did my own cab pack with my own cabs. Let me know what you think of Cab Pack 17 -- it has multiple IRs of the Dumble style 2X12 oval back cab with G12-65Hs, as well as ASW speakers.

I agreed; that's why I did my own cab pack with my own cabs. Let me know what you think of Cab Pack 17 -- it has multiple IRs of the Dumble style 2X12 oval back cab with G12-65Hs, as well as ASW speakers.

Buddy, which ASW speakers are those?
I'm interested as I have two cabs with a KTS-70 in them.

Flooded with work so I haven't been able to try your Cab Pack extensively yet.

Back
Top Bottom