G3 Dumble and Cliff's Impression

DUDE!!! Seriously? Do you think you made your point yet?
I know, right? Reading someone spew pages and pages of verbal diarrhea in every reply reminds me of religious blogs and forums.

Some people have not owned a Plexi or Dumble they never had the chance to play them in person
I was just trying to share what I had played in person or even owned.

That was directed too those who had not played them are you going to be ok ?

What are your experiences with these amps ?
Which Dumbles have you guys owned or played in person ?
I can speak for my ODSR and comparing that too the ODS amp in G3.
I can speak for my Dumble and amps in G3 and which ones sound like that.

But bla bla bla someone with actual knowledge is just spewing verbal diarrhea here ?

Please share with us with your knowledge of these amps.

Overdrive special 6l6 or el 34.
ultra phonic 6l6 or el 34
Steel string singer 6550 both versions with and without cathode follower
ej or srv

which amp have you played in person ?
Taken the voltages from in person and bias settings.

I wont post again I will just wait to read what you know about these amps.
By all means please explain your experiences with these type amps.

Lionheart or loopie or BLA BLA BLA
which amps do you guys own ?

Which one have you played in person ?

Seriously id like to read your experience with each.
It helps me grow and learn and improve myself on being a better person.

Of the amps you own or have played on in person how did those compare too
G3 or 18 ?

I can only speak for ODS ODSR Phonic and the SSS amps both cathode and non cathode follower types.
or rather spew my verbal Diarrhea that is..

I am all ears to hear your take on these amps which ones have you played
how do you think G3 compares too them ?

Im still waiting to read Cliffs take and impressions of the ODS he owns compared too G3 or 18.
I guess he feels its basically the same since its included in 18.

My ODSR is el 34 version and by changing the tubes in G3 version I can get in the ballpark.
You know all about that though so please tell us your experience while you chime in here to
chip away at me.

Im all ears.

My Dumble is S/N 0213 IIRC. It's an EL-34 ODS HRM. I wouldn't put a G3 stamp on the model if I didn't feel it matched the amp. The model is actually better than the amp because it doesn't cost $80,000.

I stand corrected thought the amp was 6l6 no wonder when I put 34s in for tube selection it sounds great.
that is now the 2nd el 34 amp Ive known about.

Very rare to find them with 34s most are 6l6 from what im told.
The reverb in mine was taken from the purple suede Dumble according too the owner
who told me he had mentioned that too the builder and he most likely used his Reverb in my amp.
I was trying to buy the purple one. I was just 70,000 shy of being able to swing that.
Not that I could have bought it for 70 but that one was what id have chosen had that ship come in.

The ODSR are even more rare I like plate reverb also and have a very good D lator to go with it
built with the same value parts and we did look and decided to use them as well his ears to make that unit.
I went ahead and sprang for the ODSR having reverb built in and like it very much but use plate in the D lator..

Preaching too the choir you can add that in axe fx II choose plate or spring getting either or and if one chose
they could have the tremolo as well..

I used a good reference to the Dumble Tremolo and matched both settings slow and fast and put that theory too the test in my axe II
and was able to get the same sound as the Dumble with tremolo. In about 5 min flat to boot.

I have a question Cliff was your amp Gooped and when you go into these amplifiers do you take each part out of the amp entirely to measure them
and resolder them back or measure using meters and scopes and measure with the amp as is ?

If thats a trade secret forgive me and disregard I only ask as I thought it mattered and made a difference and evidently Dumble used his ears too
as well chose the parts he chose for a reason so following in the Giant steps is hardly an ignorant thing to do is it ?

Evidently he chose those type and value parts for a reason and the reason was how they sounded.

I know the owner who sold Carlos the ODSR 0057 I was told Dumble was asked to build him another one trying to make
and identical one no doubt for back up or even stereo...

When the original owner asked Dumble himself about that Dumble opened a drawer up and it was full of discarded parts
and he said that is what I went through to try to duplicate that same amp.

That tells me even having those parts by the 1000s and same value and same maker does not mean
you can just build up well 2 of them in this case to sound identically the same.
It also tells me Dumble measured them first installed them listened and then went through a drawer full of parts to try to replicate it.

I was also told bla bla bla bla bla bla bla..
and bla bla bla bla bla..

:)

My 50 watt Dumble isnt Gooped or Smurfed as I like to refer too it.
I can tell you Eric Johnsons Steel String Singer had epoxy in it NOT
smurf or silicone type sealer the stuff was hard and did not move when touched.

I only know this because I touched it myself.
But thats old news now according too my fans here.

Eric had a 100 watt Dumble Odyssey which was in a black head shell that had manzamp on it
that was sitting atop his SSS at the rehearsal studio and he was using one Dumble into the other
to get the large amp to break up faster.
That was the sound I was freaking out over.
with good reason it was quite something to behold in person
See the bottom line show or florida or the red rocks show those are posted on youtube.
You can hear the SSS alone at Bottom line show and Red Rocks during high landron's
when he cracks the sky open and soars around the galaxy >

Thats the odyssey into the Steel String Singer you are hearing.
Id imagine you might hear the plexi as well going.
But when the fuzz or flanger is on and the atmosphere opens up
that would be the Dumble combination.

It should be noted Eric did not use a D lator or efx loop with that setup
No wonder he found them to be so loud...

Had he had a D lator he could have used the efx he had on it within the loop and lowered his stage volume
alot but he was driving the ship I was just taking notes.

Pied pipered by the sound.

Cliff Remind me sometime Ill tell you about the plexis ive owned.
lol
:)

okie dokie then

My Dumble is S/N 0213 IIRC. It's an EL-34 ODS HRM. I wouldn't put a G3 stamp on the model if I didn't feel it matched the amp. The model is actually better than the amp because it doesn't cost $80,000.

$80,000? Please tell me that is an exaggeration?! I already was feeling bad that I wasn't playing that model...

Personally quite pleased with the G3 Dumble models currently in the AXE FX; Cliff did a great job with those with G3. Those amp models are very versatile and can be dialed in for lots of different tones. You have to be a clean player else the amps are unforgiving -- every little thing comes through. I been truly lucky enough to have played through several real ODS Dumbles belonging to "famous players," some of which were magic, but some of which I did not care for -- they really do vary player by player.

I love the dynamics control too -- change that from 0 to 1 on a Dumble, or even 0.5, and see how sensitive the amp becomes/responds to your pick attack.

I love the Bludotone Ojai amp model as well, but I'm biased -- it is my real-life amp, but has not been G3'd (yet). But I expect it will happen, as this weekend I sent some of the necessary G3 amp measurements in to the prolific Mr. Chase!

Bottom line: I think we all agree it would be GREAT to get even more, different D-style amps G3 modeled in the AXE FX! Perhaps a Steel String Singer model, and 1970's Lindley/Lowell George, maybe a Ripper, etc. -- all those would compliment the HRM model Cliff owns in there now. With time, hopefully it can all be done somehow -- patience grasshopper, patience!

Personally quite pleased with the G3 Dumble models currently in the AXE FX; Cliff did a great job with those with G3. Those amp models are very versatile and can be dialed in for lots of different tones. You have to be a clean player else the amps are unforgiving -- every little thing comes through. I been truly lucky enough to have played through several real ODS Dumbles belonging to "famous players," some of which were magic, but some of which I did not care for -- they really do vary player by player.

Hey austinbuddy- first off, thanks for sharing some of your kit with Cliff both past and present. Second.. I had the chance to briefly play through Stephen Bruton's ODS while at a gig here in Austin a few years before he passed. Through one of those 4x10 Marshall cabs that looks like a smaller 4x12 shape. I've not played any other Dumbles before or sense, but that brief experience was an eye opener. I played his vintage 335 ('59 maybe?) so that added to the experience. Not sure if you happen to have ever met Stephen or that amp... I've always wondered about it. Miss hearing that guy as well...

Tex Axe... The point is not about you sharing. I think we would love to hear details from an owner of the mythical Dumble.

However, the "verbal diarrhea" comment is the same one I almost made yesterday... But then I decided against it so as not to be rude.

The point being is that many of your posts are extremely long, repetitive, and honestly very "rambling" in nature.

As of now, I am just scrolling by because l don't have time to read that big of a post just to get to the core of what you are trying to convey.

If you could make your posts a bit more concise I'm sure you would get better responses.

Good luck,

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$80,000? Please tell me that is an exaggeration?! I already was feeling bad that I wasn't playing that model...

actually David Lindleys Steel String Singer is for sale unless its been purchased the asking price was $250,000
Nichole Kidman's husband was playing it last I read. Not sure if he took it home or not.
Its in Nashville for sale or was and Clapton purchased his from Gruhn guitars.

Clapton paid 80 for his that one was 100 watts I think ODS combo.

John Mayer has at least 25 Dumble amps one of which was the amp that belonged to Jackson Browne
which was loaned too Stevie Ray That amp he bought then agreed to sell and allowed someone to broker the amp
and he was nicked for 165,000 or so not to include some watch collection also gone.

The 0183 amp was purchased by a Landscaper named Tag a few years back for 55,000 dollars.
It was sold after that and guitars were traded as well that amp was cloned and one of each was purchased both 6l6 an el34
so he did well on his trade getting most of his cash back and several choice things in trade.
He probably broke even.

He wound up with one of each 183 amps one 6l6 and one el34.
So not a bad thing afterall.

Tweedle D amps are 16 up if you can even get one made
and you cant.
Ultra Phonic amps are 16 -25 at least. you would have to find one used.

Eric Johson found his prototype ODS amp at a guitar show outside
the guy rolled up with it and Eric kneeled putting his hand on it the person behind him
said name your price not for sale Eric Said.

Same thing with the showmans guitar show both were bought for around 18 each and
someone right there offered 25 each for them on the spot..
He too said not for sale.

I had offers near 16 They wanted to buy the bludo and the Dumble for 18
I told them make it 25 and we can all have a merry Christmas.
They could have had both for 25 but refused to pay that for both.

Someone was offering 16 or better if I shipped it too Europe and I declined
cash in person done deal.

not going to ship the Dumble anywhere.
That amp will sell at the Dallas Guitar show or it can sit right here..
The prices go up not down on Dumble amps.

Soon as I heard the showmans were declined at 25 mine went up.

I was offered a Dumble Marshall he modified but I dont trust the source
from where it came from and I think that guy was taken too the cleaners..
id have to see the amps and play them in person and he was not too keen
on doing that which is why I feel those amps are bogus.
one was 18 watts the other 38 or something like that.

I heard the amps someone else I know did he said they were not
real so I tend to believe him.

The Marshals were touted as phonic mods
I saw a mega plx posted it was not for sale and two supposedly exist one being in Capital records studio full time
and the 2nd owned by this person that Dumble is buddies with.

The person that owned the ODSR Carlos bought heard the mega plx in person at Dumbles place
and said it was the best plexi marshall tone he had ever heard even at volumes the nieghbors would not
call you in on but Dumble said it was late and he could not play it loud for those reasons.

The amp was a marshall modified essentially with Jazz rock switches.
That guy is good friends with Dumble so 2 of those amps exist I know of.

The plexi Dumbles this other person supposedly owns sounded nothing like the mega plx.
they did not sound like the phonic amp either which would not make sense them being phonic amps
considering he made those in fender platforms.

I had chance to buy a supposed plexi modified Dumble in Austin and passed on it
I felt it was fake too..

The reason I feel mine is not is the sound and some of the same parts are seen in the other
fender Dumble mod that was sold along with the amp Cliff bought.

Those amps were probably made first the Fender mode and then the guy got the ODS with D lator
I have gut shots of the Fender amp as I was bidding on it I actually got an email from them
thanking me for bidding and pushing the sale up very nice people..

I think Cliff got the ODS and D lator from the same people.
Epstein estate amps .

I purchased mine right shortly after that...
I had bought another D cab on ebay and it was a fraud
and I got my cash back on it since it belonged to someone else and was not actually even for sale
someone sent me a pic telling me the cab I bought was fake and id best pursue my cash back.

I did and right after that the ULTRA PHONIC amp was up for sale
I negotiated that amp and then had offers of 16-18 right after I bought it
only they wanted both the bludo and that amp for 18..

They demand high prices and depending on what it is and what year its made
it reflects the price one can ask..

Perhaps Ej will be at the show this year and he can hear it in person
id drive the amp too him to let him AB the amp side by side with his
prototype Dumble I think the pair would be a match.

Be neat to hear them both together AB side by side but
I wont hold my breath You never know he liked all the other amps I found for him
including one of the Plexis I traded him he used that to finish recording Venus isle so he said.

Dumbles are tough to come bye and expensive.

The only Steel String Singer I know of is for sale at 250 grand
its real and actually sounds like one because it is one.

I own an ultra phonic which has the lindley 70s voicing in it its a 50 watt.
that amp also sounds like Landaus amp his is 100 though
He has a slidewinder longest and I think its a 50 watt amp based on 4 hole Tweed Bassman
Now my bassman sounds like landau but more like his 100 vs the tweed bassman.
It also does early Billy Gibbons It nails Claptons Dumble sound as well Carltons so
its rather versatile.

Ive measured the amp and charted the amps voltages and have built two more like it
still working on those.
One will be testbed amp and Id try the different resistors on v1 pin 2
ect that and different resistors on the jazz rock switch.

Ripper Circuit is more aggressive..

I think the Wrecker patch sounds like my Dumble I have to re adjust those and
will do so with latest 18.1 going back to compare them.
I already charted that Dumble and noted bias readings and fully charted the amp
same being with my other amps..

Not sure what Cliff Requires as far as that goes and id be certain he would want to measure it himself
which ive already done if he was even interested in doing it.

Id send him the Bludo HPD to measure but I sold it and have no idea where it is.
I have the readings myself as I charted that amp also before selling it
and recorded it for the entire month and including the day it shipped..

But comparing that amp too the Real one Lindley owned there is no comparison sound wise
one is a real great sounding Dumble the other is who knows what that Eric did not care for and passed on.

Personally id like to see Ej get Lindleys amp he would do that amp the most justice but I doubt that happens.
Not at the price tag thats on it.

Eric likes his 50 im told just fine I think if he AB'd my 50 with it he would like the combination of both.
So I was working on my own build and if that turned out I was going to send him one.
If not offer to take them in person and let him try the original then mine out on the spot.

I built my own and nearly have them completed have been working on another 50 watt bassman
Dumble version which is different then the ultra phonic mod.
That and programming the axe fx has kept me quite busy.

I look forward to hearing 18.1
Going to wait till the bugs are all settled before loading it though and I must back everything again.

If I had the Blardo tone id send it to Cliff and let him measure the voltages and the filters but I sold it
if it comes back and im forced to pay for it again though which is what they are trying to force on me
I might send the amp directly too Cliff and he can measure it..

I have the voltages and expansion filters already noted though
and I know which ones sounded best too me so I just used those
when I built up the virtual amps in axe fx.

The one to model would be Lindleys amp.
its still going and making amazing sound
The other Steel String amps not so much

Erics burned up was never the same
Srvs are different animals and dont break up at all.
Cathode follower tube keeps them clean
Different circuit really.

The SSS in Nashville was recorded I used those recordings too
dial mine in inside the axe.

I dont play slide so well and dont know the tuning they used but
man o man what an amp.

I stand corrected thought the amp was 6l6 no wonder when I put 34s in for tube selection it sounds great.
that is now the 2nd el 34 amp Ive known about.

Funny, huh? ;) What I said a few times back in the days.....

And as a little side kick to the ODS 213 models, I spend my ODS 102 patch a virtual set of EL34s, since the ODS 213 should be an EL34 based ODS by design

EL34 Ds were not so rare, My guess is Mr. D also experimate with transformer mismatch by design ;) My 6V6GT based ODS circuit uses a special OT with a higher primary impedance - gives me a rounder tone.

Check my patches - most of them features the transformer match and NFB tweak.... ;)

Check my patches - most of them features the transformer match and NFB tweak.... ;)

Hi, could you please update them? they're like firmware 10, but hey, they might sound good. what am I looking for? I encourage everyone to start using axechange more, share your goodies! we all need good sounding fw 18 presets now :) I'm going to share some too :)

btw Eric Johnson only has 900-something subscribers on youtube? what's up with that? lol.

Back
Top Bottom