G-string expander (Decimator) on standard

AkakorMo

Inspired
Hey all,
Does anyone have any tips on creating a decimator style noise gate on an Axe Fx Standard? I want to try to get rid of some hiss that is sneaking just on top of my tone. People report great success with the expander block but alas the standard does not have one. Any tips or tricks? Would there be a way to use a filter with a modifier in conjuction to create a hack ass version of an expander? Who has $2600 bucks they can spare so I can do this right? Thanks,
Mo

OK, so I have no learned that the input gate on the axe fx includes a downward expander. The other part of the decimator I am looking for is the dynamic EQ. So I know I can use a low pass filter and have a modifier attached to the freq parameter and this should help. Anyone have some recommended settings to get me on the right track? Also, all of you veiwers/non repliers you can use a volume block with a modifier as another gate/expander block for you standardites out there. Anyone have any helpful tips? When I get a chance to try this out I will post it all for others have issues with pickup hiss/noise on high gain patches

Ok, I don't want to seem like I am talking to myself here but I havebeen having some issues using the filter as a "hiss-remover". I understand how to attach an envelope and all of that but I cannot get it to remove the sound...I am missing something in the parameters for sure. ANy thoughts? I tried the volume block trick as well and still wasn't happy. Anybody have some suggeastions? a patch? A sweet wiki link?

On another note, anybody having issues with the Axe FX II ? I am an obsessed forum reader and all of the new gainy clips sound good. Just wondering if I should jump on board now or wait as I would with Microsoft product, for example...

Well I doubt that there will be a lot of issues and the AxeFXII is not going to be a 'Millenium or Vista edition" if that's what you are wondering. I am pretty sure that after 4 plus years writing algorithms for the TigerSHARC that Cliff has it down by now. ;)

As for the original topic I am assuming that most of your hiss is coming from the guitar which would usually be in the 50-60Hz region so I'd start with a notch filter in those areas. Then I'd take a look at octaves of that, 120, 240, etc and start looking to see where the nastiness is coming from.

Thanks for the reply Shasha. I did not mean to compare Fractal to Microsoft! That was more to prompt a reply haha. The hiss is definetly from the guitar. My pickups although "potted" are still hissing which I guess is either something vibrating or some poor wiring in the guitar. I am using a Q-Tuner Super Hi-Z pickup in an RG7320 (neck pickup is just for looks). Any idea about dynamic filtering anyways?

Back
Top Bottom