FXunits " RAC 12 " .... any users ? .... comments ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hey all - not sure if this is the right / best place to ask, but here goes.

Am looking to get a RAC12 used.

Any users here
?

General consensus ? Good value ? Necessity or luxury ? Pro's -vs- Con's ?

I play live a lot - more live than studio work.

Also ..... anyone know the differences between the original "RAC12" compared to the newer "RAC12 Mark 2" ?

Ben

I just got one last month (newer Mark 2) and it's a very welcome addition to my setup. I also gig all the time, so being able to tweak my patches on the fly for the room acoustics and band mix without having to menu dive is a godsend. Programming it is very easy with the software editor, and pretty much everything is customizable to do anything. Built solid, pretty lightweight.

As far as I know, the only difference between Mk I and Mk II is the the MIDI Thru on the MK II is bidirectional, like the Axe II is, so you only need one MIDI cable to connect the two. The original required separate In and Out MIDI cables.

The only drawback for me is that I also use a BJ Devices TB-5 foot controller for smaller gigs that I don't need the MFC for, and it only has separate In/Out MIDI, so in order to daisy chain all three together, I had to buy a special MIDI bidirectional to two unidirectional Y-splitter cable from Bestronix.

I've had one for 8 or 9 months, very happy with it.
It's a bit pricey, but considering that it's a very small "company" consisting of two people it's worth it.

Great device but I sold mine - 1 space more in the rack and weight. Don't need to tweak my patches a lot.

Got one around 3 months back. Its a luxury in a studio/home set up - but for live use its well worth the cost. Ive done a couple of local "amp fest" days. For the first I didnt have the RAC12, and comments on the axe were mostly "sounds great, but I cant do with tweeking". Ont eh second day it was "sounds great, and that midi gizmo makes it sooo easy to use - just like a real amp".

The only niggle I have, is that if you use the amp x/y toggle (and I assume FX X/Y as well) and toggle from X to Y (and vica versa) from the MFC - the RAC12 doesnt see it and still displays X. If you move the knobs it does alter the correct instance (ie sound changes the Y parameters even if its the X that were originally displayed), so its not that bad - but it is annoying, especially as all my amps have X/Y states (like a two channel amp - only the gain levels change), and Y is the lower gain state and therefore default (only because I wanted a green light for lower gain and a red one for higher). Ive learned to live with it though. Taking it off line then back online picks up the correct instance - so basically I leave the RAC12 offline. If I need to change something on the fly - moving any knob brings it back online anyway. Theres half a second delay while the RAC12 picks up all the patch data - but its perfectly usable.

I've had mine for a handful of months and haven't really used it. But that's because I'm a creature of habit and prefer tweaking on my laptop as opposed to the Rac12, even though the Rac12 is in my rack and my lappy sits on top!! Go figure!! The Rac12 is easily the BEST accessory next to the MFC for the Axe FX - HANDS DOWN NOTHING COMPARES for what it can do. The trick is to train yourself to use that wholey and soley as opposed to (being me) and using your lappy.

I'm looking at selling mine purely because I'm not using it the way I should be, and again, being a creature of habit and using my lappy all the time, I'm selling it for that reason alone, plus having an extra space in the rack is always handy :D

To anyone looking at buying one, if you DO buy it, use it use it use it!! I'm not gigging right now but I reckon the second I sell it I'll want one again lol!!

I purchased mine when the initial run was offered and love it! In my teaching studio I often use one patch and tweak per song we are working on. It's a very fast and effective way to make a single patch work in a live situation. I've also found it invaluble for tweaking to the room. You never know how the room will sound until you get there and fine tuning during sound check (or the third song) has never been easier. The fact that each control knob has a push button that is assignable to most any parameter makes the RAC12 a super powerful tool. Mine lives in my 3 space rack above my AxeFx and is always in use.

I have mine in my rack,It is the easiest way to adjust the sound and it gives you the amp knob feel.The only problem in a good way is remembering all that it can do.The ability to do an instant adjustment makes it the best.

I love mine too. Axe-Edit is still the way to build presets, but for tweaking while playing the Rac 12 is the shit!!

Back
Top Bottom