FXLoop = system mute? (Q8.02)

sk8te4free7

Inspired
Axe-FX XL

This is the weirdest situation i've ever encountered with my axe. Just yesterday as i was editing my presets via axe-edit - as i was renaming through the front physical buttons - hitting "store" the entire preset went dead silent.

All other presets that either have the FXLoop block (bypassed) have audio coming out or Those with the block(unbypassed), all muted. No system settings were touched, cables (using an OD pedal) never touched. When i place a FXloop block in a new preset i get the same problem.

I've restored from backups, created new presets, reinstalled current firmware, switched out cables and physical pedal... nothing is changing. When i unplug the cables very gently (input 2/FX Return/L/mono into Output 2/FX Send/L) the right LED lights seem to be getting signal

Last edited:
Update: I notice that when i disconnect the cable from the pedal out to Input 2/L (with FXL block enabled) audio comes right out enabling the left input in front of the axe to have audio. I've trade using a different cable and plugging it back in, the audio gets cut off.

The Axe-FX detects whether a cable is plugged into Input 2L, which affects how the FX Loop block works. With no cable, the block acts like a mixer block and keeps signal within the grid, passing from previous to next column. With a cable, it uses input 2 as source for the block output.

I'm not sure if you're just noticing that, or if there's a separate issue/question. Are you hearing sound while a pedal is connected properly in the loop (Out 2L - pedal - In 2L) with FX Loop engaged, output 2 knob & pedal turned up?

The Axe-FX detects whether a cable is plugged into Input 2L, which affects how the FX Loop block works. With no cable, the block acts like a mixer block and keeps signal within the grid, passing from previous to next column. With a cable, it uses input 2 as source for the block output.

I'm not sure if you're just noticing that, or if there's a separate issue/question. Are you hearing sound while a pedal is connected properly in the loop (Out 2L - pedal - In 2L) with FX Loop engaged, output 2 knob & pedal turned up?

Yes, the output 2 knob and pedal are turned up, the higher i would increase the output 2 level knob the more hiss i would get.

i've been using this exact setup for over a year or two. plugging in and out constantly and i've NEVER had this issue before. It was until wednesday that I was adjusting my tone in my preset (one of 30 identical ones, 3 different guitars, 10 presets each with the FXL block enabled/disabled on some) in Axe edit, but renaming on the front panel of the axe and suddenly all volume was gone.

My cable chain is as follows:

-Guitar/INSTR
+
-Pedal input to OUTPUT 2/L
-Then Pedal output to INPUT 2/LMono

Again, i've never had this issue before until i used the front panel to save the edits while connected via Axe-edit

If you play guitar is there activity on the Output 2 meters in the utility menu?

If not, try setting Out 2 Volume to "none" at the I/O: CTRL page, then restart the Axe-FX. Does that correct the problem?

If you play guitar is there activity on the Output 2 meters in the utility menu?

Well, now i feel like a complete JACKASS. I switched the cables once again, moved the output level 2 and the meters on the out2 were there and audio came out. Let this be a lesson for a dumbass with allergies and trying to figure out technical difficulties that were EASY to fix.

The fact that you suggested the meters and the out2 volume adjustment, i found the issue. Thank you guys

My next question is, what I/0 would you best recommend for inputs/outputs to eliminate high feedback (when the drive isn't set too high within the pedal/amp gain knobs)?

Back
Top Bottom